• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BIT applications??? (1 Viewer)

fraqqie

UNSW BIT Co-op 04
HSC
huhasmyname said:
err fraggie if you finished your hsc in 2003 and started university in 2004 wouldnt dat mean you jss 'started' your 4th year at unsw?? not finishing??
hey mate... 2004 would be my first year, 2005 my 2nd, 2006 my 3rd and 2007 would be my last and final year

huhasmyname hope you have time at BIT@UTS, i got a few mates there too and they're seem to be enjoying IT so should be good

i don't mind the transportation to unsw, i too found the place as being friendly and lively especially the special events that they're tossing up on a regular basis

if you wanna convert to unsw just holler LoL J/K all the best buddy!

jamezx

HSC
Hi!

As most of you here have previously or currently done BIT at either UNSW or UTS, could i get some advice? I am currently doing my HSC (2008) and am looking for the opportunity to do BIT at either UTS or UNSW. I've seen the brochure for UNSW CO-OP but haven't gone through the UTS one (from year advisior).

I just have afew questions, what would the recommended UAI for BIT at both UNSW and UTS? Will year 11 and year 12 reports be very heavily scrutinised in the proccess? Because unfortunately, my year 11 sucked :p

I have a brief idea on the application process but if you could give me some hints or tips that would assist my application it would be greatly appreciated :shy:. eg. What would they like to look for in applicants. Voluntary work, awards, part-time job?

Thanks!

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
jamezx said:
Hi!

As most of you here have previously or currently done BIT at either UNSW or UTS, could i get some advice? I am currently doing my HSC (2008) and am looking for the opportunity to do BIT at either UTS or UNSW. I've seen the brochure for UNSW CO-OP but haven't gone through the UTS one (from year advisior).

I just have afew questions, what would the recommended UAI for BIT at both UNSW and UTS? Will year 11 and year 12 reports be very heavily scrutinised in the proccess? Because unfortunately, my year 11 sucked :p

I have a brief idea on the application process but if you could give me some hints or tips that would assist my application it would be greatly appreciated :shy:. eg. What would they like to look for in applicants. Voluntary work, awards, part-time job?

Thanks!
i think there are a couple of threads set up, but ill give you a quick overview. feel free to ask staff and students doing IT at ask.it. basically you fill out an application form found here and it goes through questions asking you why you would be suitable for the course and what you've done over the last few years.

if your application is up to scratch, you will be asked for an interview. depending on when you hand in your application you will go to the first round in july (so for people who know they really want to get into the course and plan ahead early) and one in november (people who aren't 100% sure about which course they want to do). it doesn't matter which interview stage you go to because you have an equal chance of getting in at both of them.

at the interview a person from UTS:IT and a person from one of the sponsoring companies will ask you about what you wrote on the application form and just have a general chat. at the end of the interviews, you will be ranked in an order and you will find out then whether you are still in the running for a place depending on that ranking. usually a couple of different letters go out.. some might ask you to obtain a certain UAI for a guaranteed place, others might say they will wait for your UAI and see whether its high enough for you to get in.

then the uais come out and they will be put aside the interview ranks and then will be weighted to give you an overall mark. these marks are then ranked and depending on the number of positions, the top of the list will be offered a spot in the course.

now what they want... they are looking for future leaders of it, so examples of leadership skills is a big bonus. so are extra curricular activities, community service, sports, good marks in subjects... basically anything that will set you apart from everyone else. but another important part is good communication skills because you will be going to an industry placement in the first year and its hard for you to do work if you sit in the corner and dont speak to anyone!!

marks are important to some extent, but usually the interview is worth more. if you have a reasonable explanation to why your marks werent as crash hot in year 11 then you should be fine.

but most of all, be yourself. they've been doing this course for 20 years (in fact its the 20 year anni of the course this year), and they can tell when youre pretending to be something you're not (it might sound a bit harsh but its true)

hope that helps!

jamezx

HSC
Thank you very much! Atleast now i don't have to worry as much with more knowledge of the process :p thanks for the heads up!

help_me_please said:
i think there are a couple of threads set up, but ill give you a quick overview. feel free to ask staff and students doing IT at ask.it. basically you fill out an application form found here and it goes through questions asking you why you would be suitable for the course and what you've done over the last few years.

if your application is up to scratch, you will be asked for an interview. depending on when you hand in your application you will go to the first round in july (so for people who know they really want to get into the course and plan ahead early) and one in november (people who aren't 100% sure about which course they want to do). it doesn't matter which interview stage you go to because you have an equal chance of getting in at both of them.

at the interview a person from UTS:IT and a person from one of the sponsoring companies will ask you about what you wrote on the application form and just have a general chat. at the end of the interviews, you will be ranked in an order and you will find out then whether you are still in the running for a place depending on that ranking. usually a couple of different letters go out.. some might ask you to obtain a certain UAI for a guaranteed place, others might say they will wait for your UAI and see whether its high enough for you to get in.

then the uais come out and they will be put aside the interview ranks and then will be weighted to give you an overall mark. these marks are then ranked and depending on the number of positions, the top of the list will be offered a spot in the course.

now what they want... they are looking for future leaders of it, so examples of leadership skills is a big bonus. so are extra curricular activities, community service, sports, good marks in subjects... basically anything that will set you apart from everyone else. but another important part is good communication skills because you will be going to an industry placement in the first year and its hard for you to do work if you sit in the corner and dont speak to anyone!!

marks are important to some extent, but usually the interview is worth more. if you have a reasonable explanation to why your marks werent as crash hot in year 11 then you should be fine.

but most of all, be yourself. they've been doing this course for 20 years (in fact its the 20 year anni of the course this year), and they can tell when youre pretending to be something you're not (it might sound a bit harsh but its true)

hope that helps!

Takuto

HSC
hmm the form is up on that link now.

good luck everyone. it seems so hard to get in; the interview is just GG.

oh well, lets all hope for the best=]

ASDFGHJKL:""

HSC
I am nearly finished my application. I put a strong emphasis on the webaster work I have previously done (designing, maintaining and promoting websites). Do you think I have taken the right approach? Thanks.

Patar

0101 0000
HSC
Hey guys,

Sorry to bump this thread but I filled out an application form for the first round and got an interview for the 15th of July.

I read through this thread but I'm just wondering if any of you older experienced BIT studenys would answer a few questions.

Will I be interviewed in a group (with other applicants) or singly? Is there any practise questions that any of you received that you could post here just to get me prepared?

How well do you have to know your application form? My UAI estimate was 92.5, I think I can definately go higher than this so I'm not worried if I get in on the condition I get a particular UAI...

Pretty nervous about all this, hoping you guys can shed some light on it. Did anyone else try out?

dwarven

[SMSHS'08']
HSC
damn i didnt apply first round:vcross:

also just wondering about what kind of a UAI is required :eek:

any help is appriciated

blistk

HSC
Patar said:
Hey guys,
Will I be interviewed in a group (with other applicants) or singly? Is there any practise questions that any of you received that you could post here just to get me prepared?
You get interviewed individually.

dwarven said:
damn i didnt apply first round:vcross:

also just wondering about what kind of a UAI is required :eek:

any help is appriciated
The BIT page on the UTS site states that a UAI of around 90 is required. However, word has it that the UAI requirements may be as low as 85 depending on how well your interview goes.

thisbetterwork

HSC
N/A
laura56 said:
UTS BIT teaches IT from a business-oriented perspective, we are given the skills to work within the broad spectrum of IT careers (from programmer to business analyst to project leader) in which we can understand the business problems and what our clients want. UTS BIT does not have any compulsory Maths subjects
BS, I'm a programmer & I didn't get in. I bet there is nobody in the "programming" subjects as they don't sponsor them.
Also, don't worry about the UAI I bet that if you get past the interview you are almost garunteed to get accepted. Of course, they make the greatest cut after the interview.
Pretty low trying to advertise the B Science in IT on the YOU HAVE FAILED letter. A bit of a last ditch attempt if you ask me.
- P4R4N01D

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
BS, I'm a programmer & I didn't get in. I bet there is nobody in the "programming" subjects as they don't sponsor them.
BIT has 2 core programming subjects, with a few more from the school of software engineering (ie programming school). this is a lot more than the BScIT core ones. Additionally, BIT has a few technical sponsors (google CargoWise EDI, QAD, IBM and EDS) for people who are inclined to the programming side.

Also, don't worry about the UAI I bet that if you get past the interview you are almost garunteed to get accepted. Of course, they make the greatest cut after the interview.
not true about almost being guarenteed. the UAI still has some weighting. even if you go well in the interview, if you get a 60 UAI you probably won't get in. they want well rounded (so academically rounded and can present themselves well)

Pretty low trying to advertise the B Science in IT on the YOU HAVE FAILED letter. A bit of a last ditch attempt if you ask me.
not really. BScIT is pretty much the same as the BIT but theres more flexibility, choice in majors and no scholarship. But you can do the Diploma of IT Professional Practice and get a job for a year and get paid about 30k for it. I seriously would consider it.

thisbetterwork

HSC
N/A
help_me_please said:
I did IPT and SDD and thoroughly enjoyed both. I think that's why I tried out for it. BIT is an extremely prestigious degree. There is such a rigourous method for getting in is because they want to ensure that they get the best of the best for it. they want really well rounded people who are interested in all sides (or are willing to try all sides) of IT.
Obviously you wouldn't have learnt C if you enjoyed Software. You probably hold the boardofstudies in the higest regard don't you? I found the wretched course a deterent from programming (could have been that the teacher had very poor time management)
I think the main reason why I wanted to get in was for the scholarship. I hate being a leader (cannot allocate roles to others), I don't give a damn about the business-side of IT (& don't like networking) and am not in a hurry to rush to the top position (comes back to being a leader). Still, I expected to get further as I haven't been rejected from anything IT related previously.
Why do they have to make a scholarship cated for a select group of inferiors. It makes all the others look bad and give them the opinion that they are useless at interviews. Not everyone can lead, so this limits the amount of candidates & creates a course that is 'too-good-to-be-true' for many.
PS: Why can't the cookies last longer, I have to keep loging back in to reply (these posts take well over 15mins to think up)
- P4R4N01d (recently decided that a 4yr course is better & now off to continue the quest for knowledge)

help_me_please

it nerd
HSC
thisbetterwork said:
Obviously you wouldn't have learnt C if you enjoyed Software. You probably hold the boardofstudies in the higest regard don't you? I found the wretched course a deterent from programming (could have been that the teacher had very poor time management)
Funnily enough, i did Flash and ActionScript and ColdFusion (a lot like PHP) at High School and absolutely loved developing in high school. I went into the BIT course wanting to be a IT Director for a SW development company. Although things have changed and new paths have opened up and I no longer develop, I did apply for the course with more of a software engineering focus.

thisbetterwork said:
I think the main reason why I wanted to get in was for the scholarship. I hate being a leader (cannot allocate roles to others), I don't give a damn about the business-side of IT (& don't like networking) and am not in a hurry to rush to the top position (comes back to being a leader). Still, I expected to get further as I haven't been rejected from anything IT related previously.
BIT is basically for the (and this is UTS not me quoting) "future leaders of IT". There's another scholarship out there called the ACS Deans Scholarship which is 3k for Bachelor of Science in IT students so seriously look into that course. BScIT you can do development major

thisbetterwork said:
Why do they have to make a scholarship cated for a select group of inferiors. It makes all the others look bad and give them the opinion that they are useless at interviews. Not everyone can lead, so this limits the amount of candidates & creates a course that is 'too-good-to-be-true' for many.
We aren't really inferiors, so i think thats a bit harsh. BIT is a fast tracked course and you don't major in anything and you are only at uni for 2 years anyway with a year in the work force and its catered for a specific group of people who want to get out there and work and become project managers and leaders. Every course is catered to a specific person, like an arts course is for creative people. just because you don't get in means you're not inferior. it's a square peg in a round hole situation, you just have to find the square hole :)

melazyacying

HSC
um.. really no one is slamming the UNSW BIT as being inferior to begin with.

Really, they are directed at different people, if people are in this thread they want to know about the UTS BIT course. Not trying to discourage other people from UNSW....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)