BIS - EURO or GLB (1 Viewer)

brightsea

HSC
I have a bit of a dilemma when it comes to International Studies. I can't choose between the European or Global streams.

I like history, especially Russian and Eastern European, which is one of the reasons I'd like to do Euro. Problem is I'm terrible with speaking other languages (hell, I can barely manage English most of the time :) ), unless I'm immersed and then I pick it up quite quickly - at least the basics. Therefore, it would seem to be in my benefit to pick Global and then drop the language after the credit points are fulfilled.

The trouble with Global Studies is I've noticed it's rather heavy on political economy and I hate any kind of economic/business subject. I have no interest whatsoever.

So, I'm wondering is there, indeed, a large focus on political economics in Global and in those subjects what kind of topics are covered?

Any help in making up my indecisive mind would be appreciated. :confused:

Arwon

HSC
The trick with the Binst program is that you *do* get the immersion necessary to learn a language properly, because of the built-in year abroad. There's different degrees of language proficiency but broadly speaking, nobody can pick up a language properly without immersion, and with immersion you'd be hard-pressed *not* to pick it up.

Seriously, don't be discouraged from doing Euro Studies just because it involves learning a language, because over the course of a full year of immersion you won't be able to help but pick it up... and until then, you just have to muddle through the language classes. Just remember, the way they mark language courses, it's virtually impossible to fail, just by turning up and doing the work you'll get an alright mark (in Spanish, the difference between me trying hard all semester and bludging all semester seems to be the difference between a 69 and a 76). And then you've got the year abroad to cement it.

It also depends on where you wanna go, of course. I mean if you have a burning desire to go study in Ireland or Canada then do Global, but otherwise, I'd say Euro is a better option since you're into History and Eastern Europe. It's all history and politics, not much economics at all, especially in the first-year courses on post-WW2 Europe (1/3rd of which is devoted to Eastern Europe). The two first year Euro classes are pretty interesting, and they're laughably easy if you've got a bit of a grounding in the politics and history of Europe (helps counterbalance poor language marks!). Then the upper level classes tend to be pretty interesting and laid-back too, and there's at least two classes that'll satisfy your interest in Eastern Europe.

You'll get enough political economics and development type stuff with the INST Core section of the program, anyway.

amrodav

HSC
I reckon that if you're more interested in the topics offered in European Studies, go for it. I think if you were doing Global Studies and not liking it as much as you wanted, you'd kick yourself that you hadn't gone with your initial interest.

And with Global Studies you will still need to do a language for 2 years, so you’d only being disregarding European Studies for those last 2 semesters of language – it doesn’t seem worth it.

Just go with your gut instinct, I reckon.

I have the same worries about the language component though! Even though I am so excited about the prospect of getting to know another language, I am really nervous that I will go badly because in high school I was pretty hopeless at picking up French. But I guess it will just be a matter of working hard at it. And if you’re interested, then I’m sure you’d be willing to work hard.

brightsea

HSC
Thanks very much Arwon and amrodav. I think that I'm probably going to do European Studies if I do end up doing International Studies. Sounds like it's more my kind of cuppa.

Arwon, what is the Spanish department like? Any tips about it?

And don't worry amrodav. If worst comes to worst we can muddle through our languages together ;) What stream are you thinking about doing and which language?

amrodav

HSC
Haha, yeah, to be honest it would be good to have some other people struggling, just to make myself feel better!!

I’m going to do Development Studies, and hopefully Spanish. Though I have heard that in uni Spanish can be really popular and sometimes the capacity is filled quite quickly – so I just hope that doesn’t happen this semester!

So have you officially decided that if you do the course you’ll do European studies? And what language are you thinking of doing?

Last edited:

brightsea

HSC
I'm definitely doing BIS (deferred place from last year) as I decided not to change my preferences to a BA/BSc. Anad I've decided that Euro is probably the best option for me with Spanish as my language as I've got a 13 year history with Italian, which might help a little since they're both Romantic languages.

I wouldn't be too, too worried about the capacity of Spanish classes. There are 250 places this year, although getting your desired tute might be a bit of a bun fight ;)

Have you decided on an elective? I'm tossing up between PHIL1008 (Ethics and Society), Hist 1010 (Introducing South-East Asia), HIST1011 (The Emergence of Modern Europe A) or POLS1002 (Intro to Aust. Politics). Although if I do the politics subject means I have to come to uni on a Friday. :eek:

amrodav

HSC
I think knowing Italian will definitely come in handy - my mum’s Spanish friend who can also speak Italian tells me that they're pretty similar in a lot of ways. And yeah I reckon with 250 spots, and I just saw that only 50 have been taken so far, we should be fine after all.

It would be a bummer to come into uni on a Friday just for one lecture or one tute, but if the subject is interesting then I guess it will be worth it. Thankfully, I won’t have to though.:D I’m going to do Introduction to Globalisation (SOCA1006). Because to do Global Migration, Global Refugees (SOCA3104) in 3rd year - and at the moment I really want to do it - there is a prerequisite of 2 level 1 sociology subjects. Which I’m fine with, because they seem interesting.

To be honest, it still seems so surreal talking about what subjects I'm going to choose for uni this year.... it doesn't seem quite right!

And out of interest, why did you choose to defer last year? Have you been travelling at all, or just saving money?

brightsea

HSC
I deferred because if I had gone on to uni I would have flipped out mid-semester. Thirteen continuous years of schooling was enough for me, so I saved my money and left in April last year for Europe. It was the best decision I've ever made :D

If you need two level 1 SOCA subjects for third year then I guess you've got to do it. Good thing that Intro to Globalisation does seem interesting (I just reread the bit in the handbook).

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
Put it simply:

EURO = Eurocentric which includes European subjects (eg. history) and European language
GLST = Politics & International Relations subjects and any language of choice.

amrodav

HSC
brightsea said:
I deferred because if I had gone on to uni I would have flipped out mid-semester. Thirteen continuous years of schooling was enough for me, so I saved my money and left in April last year for Europe. It was the best decision I've ever made :D

If you need two level 1 SOCA subjects for third year then I guess you've got to do it. Good thing that Intro to Globalisation does seem interesting (I just reread the bit in the handbook).
Awesome, where did you go exactly?

Well I enrolled into my classes this morning. Yayy :D I hope it all actually went through and worked.

So have you decided on your elective yet?

brightsea

HSC
Umm...I went to the UK, Ireland, Greece, France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Estonia, Russia, Poland and a few other places.

I enrolled as well, the day after offers. I've got an awesome timetable, only one early start and Friday off because I chose Philosophy as my elective :D

What about you?

amrodav

HSC
God, what a holiday!! I seriously can’t wait to travel through Europe and go to those countries. Did you have a favourite place that stood out?

My timetable is really good too. I have two 9am starts, but then I have Tuesday and Friday off, which makes up for it.

I just read the info on ‘Ethics and Society’ and it sounds really really interesting, that’ll be a good course. There are so many courses I wish I could do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)