biotechnology (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
hey everyone,
i am very interested in doing this course at uni (most probably at UTS or UNSW). i am was wondering to what the maths content in this course is like? i know that it 2 unit as assumed knowledge but i am only doing general and want know if i will stuggle whith this and if a beidging course is necessary.

any advice is much apprecited thanks

arjungamer123

HSC
Are you doing Bachelor of Biotech, or BSc with Biotech, or Biomedical Engineering with Biotech?

In the latter two, expect maths. Not sure about the former though. Check up the curriculum in the appropriate website for the uni/faculty/department.

rlmck

HSC
hey everyone,
i am very interested in doing this course at uni (most probably at UTS or UNSW). i am was wondering to what the maths content in this course is like? i know that it 2 unit as assumed knowledge but i am only doing general and want know if i will stuggle whith this and if a beidging course is necessary.

any advice is much apprecited thanks

Iam studying Biotechnology Adv at UOW.
Mathematics is assumed knowledge. Dont worry about the maths content. This year in my degree there is an intergrated maths subject in 1st year Gen Maths 151 which brings you up to the level of mathematics.
Dont worry about this hindering your attempt to study biotechnology.:wave:
Have you thought about The University of Wollongong for Biotech !!! but you need a UAI of 85
B Science ( Biotech) UAI 75
B Biotechnology UAI 85
B Biotech (Adv) UAI 90
It has an outstanding science faculty

If you got a band 4 in general mathematics you will have no too many problems with the maths content. Although i studied 2unit mathematics , a good backround knowledge of 2unit is reccommended. Although you will need to know calculus and intergration for a start.
Biotechnology is a great career option. Never let mathematics hinder you, as it is not the prime focus of the degree , which is chem, and bio etc.....
Goodluck

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
no i hadn't considered UOW but i will now. so you think that i wull be sweet whith general. and to the person two above me i am interested in doing a straight biotech degree or maybe science majoring in biotech

thankss

rlmck

HSC
no i hadn't considered UOW but i will now. so you think that i wull be sweet whith general. and to the person two above me i am interested in doing a straight biotech degree or maybe science majoring in biotech

thankss
All depends on your UAI.
UOW has B Biotech
But this means that you have to take a special maths subject in 1st year gen maths 151. should be no problem, if your the sort of person who wants to get ahead.

About time someone else has taken an interest in Biotechnology!!

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
to be honest i am probably expecting a UAI of around 85, and i know that when it comes to uni i will definetley put more effort in as oppesed to school where i have been bludging, and yeah i am really exicted about biotech, it sounde really interesting.

rlmck

HSC
to be honest i am probably expecting a UAI of around 85, and i know that when it comes to uni i will definetley put more effort in as oppesed to school where i have been bludging, and yeah i am really exicted about biotech, it sounde really interesting.
Yeah it is very interesting. Jobs in Pharmaceuticals Industry, CSIRO, Medical research both Australia wide and internationally .... I did low scaling subjects ie Bio , Pe and Geography and chem ,2unit maths and Adv Engligh.( high scaling) No matter your subject choice it is realistic that you can get even higher than 85. Let you in on a secret i was aiming for a UAI of 85 in last years HSC and i obtained a UAI of (95.25) Put the hard yards in and the rewards come.

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
rlmck i am also curious would you recommend me taking a bridging course or would i just be wasting my rime thnaks

rlmck

HSC
rlmck i am also curious would you recommend me taking a bridging course or would i just be wasting my rime thnaks
A Bridging course is the way to go. It will bring you up to the maths level neccessary. Although depending on the Uni they might have an intetgrated maths subject in 1st year for those who did general maths.
Ps purchase a 2unit book from the book shop and start doing some sums for good background knowledge

Last edited:

arjungamer123

HSC
All depends on your UAI.
UOW has B Biotech
But this means that you have to take a special maths subject in 1st year gen maths 151. should be no problem, if your the sort of person who wants to get ahead.

About time someone else has taken an interest in Biotechnology!!
Lol the whole world is intrested in Biotechnology. It's like the dot-com bubble. It's just that in America and stuff, there are no "biotech" degrees, people usually do chem eng or science or biomed eng. and major in biotech.:) Same goes for here.

rlmck

HSC
Lol the whole world is intrested in Biotechnology. It's like the dot-com bubble. It's just that in America and stuff, there are no "biotech" degrees, people usually do chem eng or science .:) Same goes for here.

Pay a visit to The University of Wollongong Science Faculty
Iam doing a whole degree B Biotechnology (Adv)!
Iam not sure what your on about. One can study straight Biotechnology in Australia, thanks to The Univeristy of Wollongong and other participating Institutions that run a Biotechnology Degree Program(s)
arjungamer123 you are incorrect. Sure one can study chem eng or science or biomed eng. and major in biotech OR they could just study Biotechnology..
Although iam not sure what Biotechnology Degree programs there is in The United States

The same DOES NOT go for HERE.
ie

University of NSW
B Science (Biotechnology)

Australain National University
B Biotechnology

CSU
B Forensic Biotechnology

University of Newcastle
B Biotechnology

University of Technology Sydney

University of Wollongong

B Biotechnology
B Biotechnology (Adv)

Last edited:

arjungamer123

HSC
Pay a visit to The University of Wollongong Science Faculty
Iam doing a whole degree B Biotechnology (Adv)!
Iam not sure what your on about. One can study straight Biotechnology in Australia, thanks to The Univeristy of Wollongong and other participating Institutions that run a Biotechnology Degree Program(s)
arjungamer123 you are incorrect. Sure one can study chem eng or science or biomed eng. and major in biotech OR they could just study Biotechnology..
Although iam not sure what Biotechnology Degree programs there is in The United States

The same DOES NOT go for HERE.
ie

University of NSW

Australain National University
B Biotechnology

CSU
B Forensic Biotechnology

University of Newcastle
B Biotechnology

University of Technology Sydney

University of Wollongong

B Biotechnology
B Biotechnology (Adv)
Sorry man, I made a faulty comparison. I know there are programs of biotech here. But most biotech majors come from chem eng and BSc is what I meant to say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)