BIOS1201 - Which textbook do you prefer? (1 Viewer)

kaitoufion

HSC
Hello,

For those people who have studied this course before, which textbook did you choose between the 2 and what did you think about it? :)

Thank you!

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hmm...when I asked the bookshop today, they said it's better to wait for your lecturer...so we may need to wait till our first lectures next Monday.

bubble

Moo
HSC
I asked the lady in the BEES department thingy today.

She said they are both basically the same. But if you are doing Bio in the 2nd session, the textbook by Campbell is required in 2nd session but the Purves one isn't. So basically if your doing 2nd session Bio then get the Campbell textbook.

Does anyone know what the difference in editions is?? I can get a 6th Edition copy ALOT cheaper, and i'm wondering if theres much difference between the editions??

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Campbell is an excellent textbook. The best I've used so far with outstanding illustrations.

The 6th edition shouldn't be that much different. Although the newer, 7th edition is written specifically for Austrialians with examples of Australian species I think.

It should be fine if you buy the 6th edition. But if you are thinking of doing biology related fields in higher level courses, buy the latest edition because you are going to keep it as a reference book anyway. It is worth the investment.

Rekkusu

Currently: Away
HSC
Hmm, so um for science students who aren't aiming towards Biological science courses next year, would you still recommend this textbook for us to buy? Or should we borrow it from the library?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
hmmm, in that case, maybe just borrow it.

kaitoufion

HSC
bubble said:

She said they are both basically the same. But if you are doing Bio in the 2nd session, the textbook by Campbell is required in 2nd session but the Purves one isn't. So basically if your doing 2nd session Bio then get the Campbell textbook.

Does anyone know what the difference in editions is?? I can get a 6th Edition copy ALOT cheaper, and i'm wondering if theres much difference between the editions??
Oh i c i c.

Because BIOS1201 is the only Bio course that I need to do for my degree, I won't be doing Bio course in 2nd session.

So that means the Purves one is enough for me right?

Shiloh

HSC
bubble said:

That helps me too. I'm doing BIO in both sessions - that'll save me some money. Thanks.

Hoyin

HSC
N/A
Campbell and Reece is really a gREAT! text book.. ull need it thruout ur life at uni (if you need to refer back to basic biology)
it has loada info some of which you will use in 1st year.. and alot you will come up in further years...
6th and 7th edition wouldnt have major differences so i suggest goin with 6th editions.. since there are more or those 2nd hand floating around.
main difference i would say would be chapters and pages rearragned.. so companies can get people to buy the new editions and make more money..

On that note. I have one for sale.. it will save you loads than buying a brand new one from uni bookshop.
Its in top mint condition.
If interested, give me a call or sms on 0403011805
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)