• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Biomedical Science at newc uni (1 Viewer)

The Dave

HSC
N/A
Hey guys im moving up from sydney with my family to newcastle early next year and have put Biomedical Science at newcastle as my first preference.

firstly i was wondering does anybody that posts here currently studying that course? and if so could they tell me how exciting or boring it is?

and also in the UAC guide it says that assumed knowledge is Chemistry,mathematics and physics. However i didnt do physics but did biology instead which isnt listed as assumed knowledge. Can any current student plz tell me how critical it is having a physics backgorund? coz im afraid that i mite be at a disadvantage coz i only done bio and chem.

anyway any help would be much appreciated and i look forward to meeting some of you at newcastle uni nxt yr.

Last edited:

Cyph

espresso me up!
HSC
hmm, I have a friend who's doing that.

It seemed to be more chemistry-based from the impression she gives me.. seems to be a fair bit of report writing as she's always up doing reports the night before. :rolleyes:

The Dave

HSC
N/A
ok thanks guys, im lookin forward to the transition into uni life

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
Cyph said:
hmm, I have a friend who's doing that.

It seemed to be more chemistry-based from the impression she gives me.. seems to be a fair bit of report writing as she's always up doing reports the night before. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I have a friend doing biomed as well and she seems to do the all nighter thing a lot. She is transferring out to civil engineering next year i think :p

1000words

HSC
The Dave said:
Hey guys im moving up from sydney with my family to newcastle early next year and have put Biomedical Science at newcastle as my first preference.

firstly i was wondering does anybody that posts here currently studying that course? and if so could they tell me how exciting or boring it is?

and also in the UAC guide it says that assumed knowledge is Chemistry,mathematics and physics. However i didnt do physics but did biology instead which isnt listed as assumed knowledge. Can any current student plz tell me how critical it is having a physics backgorund? coz im afraid that i mite be at a disadvantage coz i only done bio and chem.

anyway any help would be much appreciated and i look forward to meeting some of you at newcastle uni nxt yr.
Hi there Dave,

Congratulations on your year 12 results! I did a degree in biomedical science although at a different university. However, I suspect that the course would be broadly similar and believe that whilst chemistry, mathematics and physics may be assumed knowledge subjects, the course will go through the basics again in first year anyway. Hence, you will have the opportunity to get up to speed without having to do too much extra work (it might take you more time but you'll have enough) so you needn't worry.

Best of luck!

Regards,
David

The Dave

HSC
N/A
1000words said:
Hi there Dave,

Congratulations on your year 12 results! I did a degree in biomedical science although at a different university. However, I suspect that the course would be broadly similar and believe that whilst chemistry, mathematics and physics may be assumed knowledge subjects, the course will go through the basics again in first year anyway. Hence, you will have the opportunity to get up to speed without having to do too much extra work (it might take you more time but you'll have enough) so you needn't worry.

Best of luck!

Regards,
David
Thanks for that i really appreciate it. were u able to find employment fairly easily after ur degree? because i have heard conflicting reoprts about job oppurtunities in the biomedical industry.

1000words

HSC
The Dave said:
Thanks for that i really appreciate it. were u able to find employment fairly easily after ur degree? because i have heard conflicting reoprts about job oppurtunities in the biomedical industry.
Hi Dave,

I am opting a career away from medical research - that said, however, I would have found it very easy to find a job, at least after further studies. The friends who studied the biomedical sciences alongside me all have employment in medical research.

I'm not really sure why you may have found that employment opportunities in the biomedical industry is difficult. Perhaps it is a specific low-opportunity area? The path of most biomed graduates is onto an honours year, a PhD, post-doc and so on - some stay in Australia, only a few head overseas.

Once you go through university, you will find particular areas of medical research that you enjoy and wish to pursue as a career. Chances are, it will be in an area that is flourishing in terms of research in Australia. I am surprised to hear that the biomedical industry may be difficult to get into when I thought it to be much to the contrary. Perhaps you mean performance? You need fairly decent marks, it would be ideal to get first class honours.

If research is not your thing, a few biomedical students have become sales reps (they are attracted to the high income early on), research assistant positions (working while they think about what they'd like to do), opt to medicine/pharmacy, so there are options available to you.

I hope that helps!

Regards,
David

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
wow, i didnt realise how medical and biomedical research is that bright!

i was under the impression that funding for research was limited and that meant fewer jobs available. All research jobs i looked up required experience.

can i ask u: if u do post doctral research at uni, do u get paid ? :p

and are researches in this country like fairly treated as in paywise? coz i think intelligent researchers ought to be rewarded for their work, shouldnt they?

ok thanks david!

The Dave

HSC
N/A
ok yeh i knew there were some options available like you could brnach out in to different areas like pharmacy etc. but lets just say u dont get first in class honours is there still a hope for u if ur only a middle of the class biomedical science graduate?

1000words

HSC
mr EaZy said:
wow, i didnt realise how medical and biomedical research is that bright!

i was under the impression that funding for research was limited and that meant fewer jobs available. All research jobs i looked up required experience.

can i ask u: if u do post doctral research at uni, do u get paid ? :p

and are researches in this country like fairly treated as in paywise? coz i think intelligent researchers ought to be rewarded for their work, shouldnt they?

ok thanks david!
Hi there Mr Eazy,

Yes, you get paid for post-doctoral research at university - significantly more than when you're a PhD student.

Researchers in the country are paid quite well, keeping in mind that medical research is not a commercial industry. I don't believe they're paid as well as in other wealthier countries but I believe that applies across all professions.

I hope that helps!

Regards,
David

mrbassman

0.38 posts per day...meh
HSC
if you check out the uni website, we just got a huge funding grant in this area so good choice mate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)