Biology Text Book (1 Viewer)

smitten_kitten

HSC
I was wondering if anyone could refer me a good biology text book so that I can read up on the subject before school starts. Also, any advice would be good- whether you've found studying ahead is a waste of time or vice versa.

Loz_metalhead

HSC
I wouldnt bother reading ahead with a subject like biology...theres not a great deal to comprehend and its basically informational based...

I use the Heinemann Biology. It has the year 11 and 12 course in it...its about 300 pages long. Please, enjoy these holidays and dont worry about school, because the next summer holidays you will be in my position. I have 3 assignments to do and need to study everything we have done in year 12 so far as half yearly exams are next term...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Is there such thing as a Biology Contexts textbook? [i'm sure there is because i've got the physics and chem editions of the set]

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
Riviet said:
Is there such thing as a Biology Contexts textbook? [i'm sure there is because i've got the physics and chem editions of the set]
Yes there is. I'm not sure how good it is since I didn't do Biology.

But if it's similar to Chemistry Contexts, I'd recommend it only as an on-the-side textbook. It goes into unnecessary detail, which is sometimes helpful, but otherwise annoying.

ladyknight

HSC
The books that SAVED MY LIFE are the individual topic ones by Steve Taylor ('HSC study pack', Warringal publications). Each core topic is $14.25 each, but I had to order them. You might wanna peek at www.edassist.com.au.

While I really admire your enthusiasm, don't stress too much - life is gonna go on living long after the HSC (nuclear disasters not counted) :) .

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Dreamerish*~ said:
Yes there is. I'm not sure how good it is since I didn't do Biology.

But if it's similar to Chemistry Contexts, I'd recommend it only as an on-the-side textbook. It goes into unnecessary detail, which is sometimes helpful, but otherwise annoying.
I was right then. :)

And yes, the chem contexts textbook does get very detailed and long lol. It drives me nuts when i'm summarising dot points. :rolleyes:

smitten_kitten

HSC
lol Don't mistake my new anti-procrastination tactics for enthusiasm. I figure if I put in the hours now, maybe I can get into a good studying rhythm. But that doesn't seem to be happening- I barely manage to read through a chapter a day of Chemistry Contexts. ><

Anyway, looks like Heinemann's the way to go lol. Thank you guys for your help and I agree with what you're saying about Chemistry Contexts; it has a whole lotta irrelevant crapola. It's rather frustrating really.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
smitten_kitten said:
it has a whole lotta irrelevant crapola. It's rather frustrating really.
If you are unsure of what to summarise for your notes, always refer to the syllabus; they can only test you on the material from there.

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
= Jennifer = said:
as a study guide i suggest the macquarie ones they saved me because the hinammen (sp?) was so confusing
Are the Macquarie ones better than Excel? I heard they were (for some subjects). Are there any specific reasons or is it a matter of preference?

ichiraku

HSC
I used a combination of Macquarie and Heinamen for prelims and they worked pretty well. Macquarie has everything you really need (info, practicals, etc.) and personally I found it more detailed then Excel. Also, I found the layout for Macquarie to be better than Excel's, which made studying a lot easier. I'm still using this combination for Year 12, so something must be going right.

smitten_kitten

HSC
Well I went down to Dymocks the other day and left rather disappointed. They've got so many books on chemistry and physics but so few on Biology. It seems that most of the books they had were the ones with questions and past papers. Also, I was too scared to buy the Heinnamen and Macquarie books coz they seemed so thin compared to the Chemistry/Physics text books. Also, does anyone use them super thin books that cover one topic only? I was thinking about getting those but was also a little put off since they have like 2 pages worth of questions for every page of info.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
we used/use the spectrum textbooks. pretty good, and they have excellent diagrams and visuals, but i think if you want a higher level of detail this one isnt really the best. i mean, it covers the material well but sometimes i wish it was a little more explicit. the heinemann textbook is better, imho.

= Jennifer =

HSC
m0ofin said:
Are the Macquarie ones better than Excel? I heard they were (for some subjects). Are there any specific reasons or is it a matter of preference?
macquarie is definately better than excel

the reasons for this being is that macquarie seem to explain it better and address each of the dot points in a manner which is concise yet informative, also the diagrams are better. If I was you i would consider buying the macquarie and just borrowing the excel one from a library. It may be a good idea to speak to your teacher or tutor and ask their opinion

P

pLuvia

Excel I thought was better than macquarie for year 11, but for year 12 definately macquarie. But smitten_kitten and for any year 11 biology students I have uploaded my syllabus dot points in the resource section of BOS feel free to check them out

m0ofin

HSC
N/A
Thanks for your helpful advice about the study guides guys. Looks like Macquarie is the way to go. I'll ask my teacher beforehand for her opinion too.

whatdafork

HSC
I heard from my Biology teacher that the Year 12 Jacaranda was really good for the course and that the top students all used it. I'm not sure about the Year 11 one though, as I used mainly Macquarie and Heinamen. Also the book's like a freaken encyclopedia so I really can't be bothered reading through it. Instead, I just use it as a side book for times when I need extra information.

Here's a tip for those doing prelim biology and are looking to do it for the HSC as well. Pay a bit more attention when your class goes over the module "Patterns in Nature" because from what I've found in the course so far, a lot of these concepts seem to get passed on to the HSC course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)