Biology Practical Test On Tuesday (1 Viewer)

laur*

HSC
Our prac test is quite similar to everyones im sure taking notes on the effect of tempreture and pH on an enzyme and substrate, we do not know the substrate and enzyme until the day we get it but if anyone could giva me a hand in understanding the whole thing that would b gr8 cheers :)

lozabella

HSC
as i'm sure you know....an enzyme is a biological catalyst, it controls the rate of reaction- in the body itspeeds it up and is what enables the body to function. Each enzyme is specific- it will only work on one particular substrate... it has an active site which can bind to the substrate...and dependant on the amount of substrate and the amount of enzyme present depends on the rate of reaction and the amount of products etc..etc.. A change in pH or temperature changes(denatures) the enzyme which affects its ability to combine with the substrate and therefore affects the metabolism. For a specific amount of enzyme in a reaction, if u increase the substrate concentration the rate of reaction will increase until all of the active sites are taken and then the reaction rate will generally stay the same. Don't know if this helps.....that' generally what you'll be testing in the prac is the effect of temp ph and substrate concentration on enyme functioning! gud luck

duckofdoom

Ellie-Jelly
HSC
for my prac test we used liver as the enzyme and various ph levels to test it in.

The same has already been said.

Just notice which ph levels react to the "enzyme" the fastest - after all the enzyme is the catalyst for the experiment.

Remember that ph denatures an enzyme. But not all temp ranges. Cold temps will slow down the enzyme's activity rate while higher temp will destroy the protein .

Think of it like cooking an egg. Once the protein - the egg white - is heated you cannot reverse it back to it's clear runny state. The protein has been denatured. Once it's been denatured it cannot be returned back to it's original form. that's the temp part.

ph, they'll have test tubes filled with various ph inside and you'll pop in an "enzyme" , we used liver. just record the bubbles that come out and how long it takes for each to react.

substrate concentration. they'll have for example - pure vinegar in one tube, half vinegar half water in the next, then water. you may have a few where there's more water or more vinegar. but I'm using vinegar as an example here.

Whether or not this helps. I hope it does or otherwise I've wasted five minutes. lol.

DraconisV

Christopher Fife
HSC
well we did the enzyme, pH/temperature prac a few weeks ago. basically what we did, was set up like 5 test tubes for each part (temp and pH) and put like different levels. e.g. pH1,3,5,7,9 and temperatures of 20,25,30,35,40. we added some chemical(cant remember its name), that reacts with the catalase enzymes in the livers pieces and we took down the results by measuring the hieght of the bubbles generated. Then we made a graoh showing the results and we saw that enzyme optimal efficiency curve(where is goes up gradually, reachs a peak then drops radically as the enzyme denatures). Hope that helps.

laur*

HSC
lol aernt they it gr8 i rekjons i went okay now i just have to write up my report cheers thou

Necro_Nursey

HSC
Potatoes and its enzyme activation....
Anyone wish to calrify a hypothesis for me?

I have to devcelop an experimental method to show the effect of pH on the functioning of a particular enzymeand then carry out the procedure

Now my fiends I get my experiment and such its the fact of the pH. How am i going to devise an experiment about pH. We did the experiment before in class with liver (boiled and ground) but it had nothing to do with pH.

Does anyone know how I could go about this ... btw we do it with potatoes in this up coming experiment which contain catalase enzyme and we also use hydrogen peroxide.

Well any help would be a godsend

<3 Necro Nursey

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Necro_Nursey said:
Potatoes and its enzyme activation....
Anyone wish to calrify a hypothesis for me?

I have to devcelop an experimental method to show the effect of pH on the functioning of a particular enzymeand then carry out the procedure

Now my fiends I get my experiment and such its the fact of the pH. How am i going to devise an experiment about pH. We did the experiment before in class with liver (boiled and ground) but it had nothing to do with pH.

Does anyone know how I could go about this ... btw we do it with potatoes in this up coming experiment which contain catalase enzyme and we also use hydrogen peroxide.

Well any help would be a godsend

<3 Necro Nursey
Test the reaction at different pH! Keep all other variables constant, i.e temp, concentration of enzyme and substrate.

laur*

HSC
question

ums can anyone give me a rundown on the structure of an enzyme

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
laur* said:
I think this is a bit too much detail for you but I'll explain it in simple terms

Enzyme is a protein

Almost all proteins are made up of amino acids - a polypeptide.

Primary structure - The chain of amino acid join together (a polypeptide)
Secondary structure - the backbone of the polypeptide interact to form a specific shape
Tertiary structure - all of the atoms of the polypeptides including the sidechains interact and form a specific shape
Quaternary structure - some proteins or enzymes are made up of more than 1 polypeptide. The different "subunits" or polypeptide interact to give a final shape.

It is due to the folding of the protein (interaction of the various atoms within a polypeptide) that you can a final 3D structure.

I hope this helps.

kow_dude

HSC
Survivor39 said:
Almost all proteins are made up of amino acids - a polypeptide.

Primary structure - The chain of amino acid join together (a polypeptide)
Secondary structure - the backbone of the polypeptide interact to form a specific shape
Tertiary structure - all of the atoms of the polypeptides including the sidechains interact and form a specific shape
Quaternary structure - some proteins or enzymes are made up of more than 1 polypeptide. The different "subunits" or polypeptide interact to give a final shape.

It is due to the folding of the protein (interaction of the various atoms within a polypeptide) that you can a final 3D structure.
This is biochemistry(option) stuff in chemistry.

Abtari

HSC
laur* said:
rundown:

enzymes are proteins.
proteins are made of one or more polypeptides.
polypeptides are made of more than one amino acid - enzymes are hence linked amino acid groups.
enzymes are large molecules (usually larger than the substrate or reactant)
enzymes contain active sites, areas on the surface of the enzyme, onto which a substrate can bind.

hope thats sensical. :)

laur*

HSC
Thankyou Everyone U R All Gods I Love You Alll Very Very Much Xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo Mwah

Dr_Doom

HSC
My prac is friday week. So 11th of August :D cbf thinking about it now lol..

skip89

HSC
Another enzyme that you should look out for is one called rennin. It's what makes milk curdle.

H

housemouse

If the amount of reaction i.e amount of foam forms exceeds what the test tube can hold, just measure the length of the test tube and put a plus on the end to show that it exceeds that length because I did a similiar practical experiement for an assessment and i made this mistake.

Freakster01

HSC
isnt rennin that junket tablet? the one which ice creams are made out of? (i fink)

anywayz.. yea.. make sure u measure it from the top of the water where the bubbles start, very common mistake to make.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)