Biology or Physic? (1 Viewer)

calbarrett

HSC
Mate, with your selection of subjects, particularly 3U math I would go physics. Im doing 3U maths, Physics, Engineering Studies, Standard English and Contruction. I did Bio in year 11 and wanted to kill myself. I knew i was dropping so i didnt pay much attention but everybody hates yr11 bio. Physics is the best subject you will probably ever do. Assuming you have a good teacher, like i do, you will do well and its not the hardest subject to do. Course content is sweet you learn about space, electricity, and motion which are generally they key focuses. Plus alot of uni course recommend Physics plus mathematics, thats if your thinking about science or engineering. Anyway to sum it up, Physics is the best subject you will ever do, anybody who doesnt like it, either sucks at science or is an english person.
Pick physics bro, I have never regretted it and neither will you

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
I did all 3 sciences in year 11 - I didn't really like year 11 biology but it is bearable and definitely worth the wait for year 12! Year 12 bio was probably my favourite subject - it was really interesting and relatively straight forward. After I did my year 11 physics yearly exam I knew I wanted to drop it - I had studied my ass off for that exam and knew I'd done badly (which was correct). For me, I spent so much time trying to comprehend the principles and in the end, the interest I had in it was outweighed by its difficulty. I just wasn't willing to spend more time on it than by other subjects. Dropping physics was probably the best decision I've ever made. But this is only one perspective.
Adding to timeslowsdown's post with my own perspective/experiences:

In Year 11, Physics was definitely my worst subject. Despite having Physics tutoring, I always performed much better in Economics + Business Studies (I don't go tutoring for these subjects) mainly because I put much more effort into my Social Sciences. Physics could not compare to English or MX1 either in Year 11.

By end of Year 11, I really wanted to drop Physics but could not do it because I realised I had gone too far with all the tutoring money spent.

Up until this day, I still don't put much effort into Physics (more than before but still not as much as I put into my other subjects) but somehow, my ranks have improved for Year 12 Physics (quite possibly Band 6 level) relative to Year 11 Physics.

Now, my worst subject is not Physics but rather MX1/MX2 so yeah things have changed.

So, I'm glad that I kept Physics to an extent (for the fact that I improved in terms of ranks plus doing at least 1 science makes me feel more complete as a student :haha:)

3lechtrik

HSC
N/A
Physics is everything.
With nearly everything in life physics can be applied. Even if you plan to go into a different field physics is still hella interesting and if you believe you will get a good mark it will be rewarding in the HSC.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Biology or Physics?

Im thinking of doing 3U maths, Advanced English, English Extension 1, Music (not sure which one) and chemistry and one of these 2 sciences as said before. To be honest i like maths :p
My subjects are almost similar to yours! Replace music with business studies and we are exactly the same. Creepy how every year 10 on BoS subjects are so sinilar haha

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on what you want to do. I think there's a bit more paths with biology.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

MilkDrinker

HSC
Hi, I didn't read all of the above posts but thought I would put my view in as well.
I did Bio, Chem and Phys + PDHPE, 2u english and 3U maths in prelim. I thought (and still think) that chem and phys are great subjects (except for monitoring and management in HSC chem which is somewhat like bio). I wasn't too big of a fan of bio in prelim because it was so plant-based and I am not too into the plants. More of a human-bio person. In the end I dropped bio (added another maths extension). I think, if there is a way to ask your advisors if you can pick up all sciences then if they can give you two or three weeks next term as a trial period after which you can drop whichever subject you didn't like.
Good Luck with your decision

Viviannn

HSC
I do all three sciences and tbh, I like Phys and Bio equally (but I really DON'T like Chem).
Phys is more about the universe and even though people say its maths - not really. Its easy maths if you're doing 3U. If you can understand the questions, subbing in values and memorising equations isn't that hard. Phys is about understanding the concepts, memorising formulas and applying the formulas but there is still theory. I'd say Phys is 50-50 with maths and theory. Phys prelim course is about waves, electricity, motion and space; hsc course is about the same kinds of things but more advanced.
Bio is more about Earth and the living stuff on earth. Bio is about understanding the concepts, memorising and writing about them. I'd say its all info as opposed to phys which has maths in it as well. The bio prelim course is all about animals and plants it's interesting but not as much as the year 12 course - it's all about the human body and it has genetics which is awesome!
I think that both are awesome and you should pick them based on where your interests lie and what you plan to be in the future. Which one do you think you'll get higher marks in? Which one will you get a better ranking in? Which would you enjoy more? Which benefits you in the future? Does the course you want to do have either of them as prerequisites? Also take into account that I've heard Phys has higher scaling than Bio but ofc if you're getting an awesome ranking in bio then that wouldn't matter.

Last edited:

Ken96

HSC
Physics by far is more interesting, probably harder as there is quite a bit of content covered. A fair few equations to remember but if you're doing math it shouldn't really be a problem.

fionarykim

HSC
Bio and physics are both amazing subjects, tbh i did all three sciences and i hated chem so i dropped chem HAHAH
but Chem is amazing scaling, so totally go for it if you like it

Bio
-boring in yr 11 sometimes but AMAZING in year 12
just so much intersting stuff about the body and diseases and our natural environment
-all about memorising and studying, less about how 'smart' a person is
-average scaling, but not hard subject

physics
-decently interesting in both yr 11 and yr 12
-harder in terms of understanding concepts and linking it with maths
-despite how i do well in 4u maths, i find the mathematical conponents of yr 12 physics alil challenging HAHAH awks
-higher scaling, pretty good if you can do well in it

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Bio and physics are both amazing subjects, tbh i did all three sciences and i hated chem so i dropped chem HAHAH
but Chem is amazing scaling, so totally go for it if you like it

Bio
-boring in yr 11 sometimes but AMAZING in year 12
just so much intersting stuff about the body and diseases and our natural environment
-all about memorising and studying, less about how 'smart' a person is
-average scaling, but not hard subject

physics
-decently interesting in both yr 11 and yr 12
-harder in terms of understanding concepts and linking it with maths
-despite how i do well in 4u maths, i find the mathematical conponents of yr 12 physics alil challenging HAHAH awks
-higher scaling, pretty good if you can do well in it
I do 2 unit maths and find the maths part of physics easy lol

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I do 2 unit maths and find the maths part of physics easy lol
Physics - logic and teasing out the facts in mathematical problems ... AND then connecting mathematical values with theory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)