Biology or chemistry (to drop for yr 12) (1 Viewer)

Keep biology, or chemistry for year 12

• Total voters

ineedhelp108

HSC
Hi everyone,

I'm going into yr 12 next term, and I have no idea whether to drop chemistry or biology. I'm on 14 units atm, and I want to drop to 12 units. My other subjects are ext 2 math, adv english, legal and ancient history. I need to get at least a 97 atar for my degree, and I go to a top 25 school.

My mark for chemistry is 83% and the median was 77, and for bio, im averaging 80% and the median was 75%.
I prefer chem more, but I really want to get a band 6 in the subject which I end up choosing, and my school has 20% less band 6s in chem than bio. Chem also has more practicals which I hate.

Which subject is harder, and does bio have a lot of theory? Also, which subject is more interesting?

Thanks!

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
bio year 12 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

but idk someone who does both chem and bio should answer this

bio is mostly memorising, i dont mind it tbh

Bob99

temporarylol hater
HSC
Hi everyone,

I'm going into yr 12 next term, and I have no idea whether to drop chemistry or biology. I'm on 14 units atm, and I want to drop to 12 units. My other subjects are ext 2 math, adv english, legal and ancient history. I need to get at least a 97 atar for my degree, and I go to a top 25 school.

My mark for chemistry is 83% and the median was 77, and for bio, im averaging 80% and the median was 75%.
I prefer chem more, but I really want to get a band 6 in the subject which I end up choosing, and my school has 20% less band 6s in chem than bio. Chem also has more practicals which I hate.

Which subject is harder, and does bio have a lot of theory? Also, which subject is more interesting?

Thanks!
chem mod 8 is really fun cuz its like solving a hard puzzle (cnmr and hnmr stuff)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
bio year 12 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

but idk someone who does both chem and bio should answer this

bio is mostly memorising, i dont mind it tbh
omggg I do both

Idk honestly keep both <3

bio: much more theory but the far easier subject. in terms of hsc papers, I find bio a lot more annoying to do because I'm never bothered to answer a bunch of 5/6/7/8/9 markers
chem: much more understanding needed to really get the content, however, if you're good at maths and have a solid conceptual foundation then the entirety of calculations in the paper (I find that's half the paper) will be easy. then ofc you have the understanding questions

basically chem is fundamentally harder, however, if you get good at it, it'll benefit you more mark wise than bio (better scaling) - that's my opinion

I still think you should keep it for now and see how you're going two terms into hsc

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC

Thanks!
from what i've heard, history and legal are two HEAVY subjects with lots of writing - you'll be doing a lot of essays for those 😥

its_ace21

/æɪs/
HSC
yeah true but it seems like @ineedhelp108 does equally well comparatively in chem and bio
the school does better in bio and bio's easier so maybe itd be better to keep bio? idk

from what i've heard, history and legal are two HEAVY subjects with lots of writing - you'll be doing a lot of essays for those 😥
legal 😍 i love writing essays

ineedhelp108

HSC
omggg I do both

Idk honestly keep both <3

bio: much more theory but the far easier subject. in terms of hsc papers, I find bio a lot more annoying to do because I'm never bothered to answer a bunch of 5/6/7/8/9 markers
chem: much more understanding needed to really get the content, however, if you're good at maths and have a solid conceptual foundation then the entirety of calculations in the paper (I find that's half the paper) will be easy. then ofc you have the understanding questions

basically chem is fundamentally harder, however, if you get good at it, it'll benefit you more mark wise than bio (better scaling) - that's my opinion

I still think you should keep it for now and see how you're going two terms into hsc
i will be on 14units, so it will be hard to keep both for the first exam :((((
i do wish i could try out both tho

is it hard to remember bio?

also, which do u think will be easier to get 93 in??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)