Biology help! (1 Viewer)

Lee-sarh

HSC
N/A
ok this is my first ever post so i hope someone can help me!
ive been given an asignment on developing a polypeptide synthesis model

OR

make a meiosis and the process of crossing over, segregation of chromosomes and production of haploids.

which one would be easier to make? and any ideas on how?

samthebear

HSC
do the meiosis thing - for that you can use pipe cleaners, straws, match sticks without the striking bit on it, plastacine etc. I suggest using the pipe cleaner because you can just simply twist the pieces together (the parts with the actual crossing over gets fiddly so pipe cleaners are the best way to go)

TIP: make your model BIG. i dont mean so big each cromosome is larger than you, i mean make it big enough so that when you're doing the crossing over you can do it without having to fiddle too much with it (the smaller your model is - the more annoying it is to make) a good size would be about 20 - 30 CM per chromosome.

Pipe cleaners are fun anyways :haha: i wish we had pipe cleaners when we did our models! it would've made life easier!

Lee-sarh

HSC
N/A
oh ty so much! i shall take ur ideas into considerations :D TY!

samthebear

HSC
uhm if you're going to do the WHOLE process of meiosis... i think you shouldnt make each chromosome 20 - 30 cm big. sorry, i thought you were just talking about the process of crossing over! but um yes, for the whole process of meiosis (inclusive of crossing over), dont take up more than two A3 pages stuck together (just as a rough guide on how big the whole project should be)

Lee-sarh

HSC
N/A
LOL yeah i have to make a model of all that for the process :/ yeah 20-30cm for one IS BIG! xD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)