Biology 2013ers MARATHONN (2 Viewers)

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I interpreted as much haha.
Have u decided which place you're going for in med? UWS or UNSW?

And to stay on topic, I dropped bio in yr 11. yay. Life so much happier without it ^_^
Still not on topic

jk412

HSC
Question for super_FAGgot2: What is a gene? (8 marks)

ocatal

HSC
Explain why research into the production of artificial blood has been central to present scientific understanding.

fionarykim

HSC
Explain why research into the production of artificial blood has been central to present scientific understanding.
There are many reasons why we continue to research into artificial blood, it has many advantages over donated blood
-there is a lack of donations
-Artificial blood does not require any bloodtype matching
-Can be stored for longer periods of time, and does not have to be kept in the fridge
-is free of infections, and other risks (aka completely sterile)
-eg perflurocarbins

there are also inadaquacies in artificial blood right? what are they?

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
There are many reasons why we continue to research into artificial blood, it has many advantages over donated blood
-Can be stored for longer periods of time, and does not have to be kept in the fridge
-eg perflurocarbins

Must be mixed with lecithin I thiink

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
-eg perflurocarbins

Sounds like regurgitation.

Think about it, imagine a conversation with somebody.

"Hey man, how is artificial blood research important to how we understand blood nowadays?"

Now paste your answer here, and see if that seems to make sense...

RayRay

HSC

"Hey man, how is artificial blood research important to how we understand blood nowadays?"

Welcome to biology.

fionarykim

HSC

LOOOL im really sorry, i am too brain dead to actually think about bio properly HAHA
just say out what i randomly remember about bio AHAHA

superSAIyan2

HSC
-eg perflurocarbins
^It seems like you are answering the question " Explain why we continue research into artificial blood? "
you havent really explained how artificial blood has contributed to our scientific knowledge.

You could say artificial blood has provided a more comprehensive understanding of the role of different components of blood
Example:
Also research into artificial blood led to the production of modified haemoglobin which was isolated from the RBC. The haemoglobin molecules underwent toxic changes and had a reduced tendency to release O2 near metabolising tissues. This suggests that there are factors on the RBC which control/assist in the normal functioning of haemoglobin, thus contributing to present scientific understanding.

Ocatal, could you please answer this question? I'm not fully sure how to answer this; the wording is kinda confusing?

ocatal

HSC
^It seems like you are answering the question " Explain why we continue research into artificial blood? "
you havent really explained how artificial blood has contributed to our scientific knowledge.

You could say artificial blood has provided a more comprehensive understanding of the role of different components of blood
Example:
Also research into artificial blood led to the production of modified haemoglobin which was isolated from the RBC. The haemoglobin molecules underwent toxic changes and had a reduced tendency to release O2 near metabolising tissues. This suggests that there are factors on the RBC which control/assist in the normal functioning of haemoglobin, thus contributing to present scientific understanding.

Ocatal, could you please answer this question? I'm not fully sure how to answer this; the wording is kinda confusing?
My mistake. Yeah I think I worded the question too weirdly. What I did mean was:

Explain why research into the production of artificial blood is required.

In this case, fionarykim's answer is correct. However if the question was actually "explain why research into the production of artificial blood has been central to scientific understanding," you would probably be correct. You might also mention how research into perfluorocarbons has led to further understanding of the adaptive advantage of haemoglobin and it's ability to undergo the Bohr effect. But I highly doubt the BOS will ever ask such a question considering it is too complex for a secondary hand investigation which requires students to 'research' for the answer and it's probably beyond the syllabus.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)