Bio Olympiad (1 Viewer)

Heliotrope

HSC
Bio Olympiad NQE

Wow. This exam was... :|

I completely bombed it. Especially Section B. I am sad. How'd you guys go?

Last edited:

cccclaire

HSC
ah.
pretty sure I stuffed it.

Multiple choice was ok. Only a few ones I really didn't know. The one with the egg mix and the enzyme really bothered me because none of them really would have worked.

Um, totally stuffed up the graph. Put the independant variable on the y-axis and the dependant variable on the x-axis. Wasn't until I finished plotting everything that I realised.

I think I stuffed up the rainforest one too.

Then the one on endoenzymes and exoenzymes, did everyone else just put increased SA:V ratio? And I could hardly think of any similarities between transcription and translation (I think I got 3 in the end), i could think of a tonne of differences, but the processes really aren't that similar.

The blood group questions were ok. except I'm not sure if I did the last one right, where it was like 'what is the probability of AB' I just did p(I^A) x p(I^B) which I worked out was 2%, but my friend got 4%.

The only short answer question which I really liked was the headlice one, but I didn't have enough space.

Heliotrope

HSC
I thought the multiple choice was hard. :( There were quite a few that I guessed... even the chlorophyll one? What was the answer to that? I thought it would've been the sepal, but that wasn't an option. I don't know whether I put stem or filament; they're both green... Which one was the egg mix/enzyme one?

Section B: How'd you go about doing the calculations for the transpiration rate questions? I don't know if mine were correct.

The one on endo/exoenzymes just... didn't make sense to me. Um. Yeah. Wth. I left it blank. SA:V ratio definitely sounds plausible, though.

For the second graph I just drew... um, a loop. What were the four marks allocated for? :(

The last of the blood group questions I left blank as well. Yeah... :| The head lice one was the easiest.

It definitely seems like you did a lot better than I did. Wow, I really have no chance now. I hope you get in!

Last edited:

eddy11

HSC
whats the bio olympiad, is it a city thing, and why does all the subject sound so foreign to me, im topping bio at school but don't understand or even heard of endoenzymes etc. i do come from a regional school i spose

S.Yong

HSC
I did a fair bit of study for the olympiad, and it turns out what i did study for wasnt examined =P

Nevermind. At least the study wont go to waste. I'm just glad i got the chance to participate. I thought the multiple choice was harder than in the past exams. As for the rainforest one... yeah i was completely lost.

For the Endoenzymes one i just wrote, increases SA:V and that it increases efficiency of the process. For the question that asked for the proportion of Blood AB group, i wrote 1-2%, because i remember reading that somewhere before.

I remember the egg one too. I sat there for a while at the end, wondering. In the end i just chose change pH. =| doubt it's right, though.

Anyway. I'm reading for my Participation certificate now. =)

HSC
N/A
eddy11 said:
whats the bio olympiad, is it a city thing, and why does all the subject sound so foreign to me, im topping bio at school but don't understand or even heard of endoenzymes etc. i do come from a regional school i spose
It shouldn't be a city thing. Depends how much your school sucks. But topping bio at school doesn't mean you'd do well necessarily.

I thought the exam was mostly okay except I was screwed for the mRNA one. I just didn't know the stuff. And the exo/endoenzymes I didn't explicitly put SA:V, I just described it. Stupid. =(

turpificatus

HSC
hahaha, olympiad. Well, i was cramming multiple choice answers from the past papaers the night before. I think i got 7 wrong in the multiple choice one though, and i left 51g blank, the one about carbohydrates found in plant nucleus and not in red blood cells? eh, i put off my maths yearlies by 2 days so even if i get a credit, im happy.

HSC
N/A
turpificatus said:
hahaha, olympiad. Well, i was cramming multiple choice answers from the past papaers the night before. I think i got 7 wrong in the multiple choice one though, and i left 51g blank, the one about carbohydrates found in plant nucleus and not in red blood cells? eh, i put off my maths yearlies by 2 days so even if i get a credit, im happy.
*poke* Hi Hui.

(Screwed for maths yearly... even if it's postponed. :()

Zephyrio

HSC
I personally think S.Yong will get into the team =)

And vulgarfraction screwed for a maths exam? Come on =P

HSC
N/A
Haha what! I don't know my stuff. :(

(For the egg one I put temperature and I'm pretty sure that's right, but you never know. It'd be pretty hard to get a participation, actually.)

cccclaire

HSC
vulgarfraction said:
Haha what! I don't know my stuff. :(

(For the egg one I put temperature and I'm pretty sure that's right, but you never know. It'd be pretty hard to get a participation, actually.)
see I was considering putting temperature, but it said to 75 degrees.
If you heat an enzyme to 75degrees it won't work.
I think I ended up putting pH in the end, but I was probably wrong.

HappyFeet

HSC
Today, the Head of Science was asking me if I want to do the test because someone decided not to on the last minute but I said no. Doesn't sound very easy.

Heliotrope

HSC
I put pH, and I'm fairly sure it was the right answer, in light of the other options. Enzymes need a certain pH in order to function at optimum level, so changing it could well have sped up the reaction. And yeah, if an enzyme was heated to 75 degrees it would be completely denatured.

S.Yong

HSC
I answered pH as well. And Zephyrio...

Don't you dare get my hopes up =P

PrettyVacant

HSC
vulgarfraction said:
Depends how much your school sucks. But topping bio at school doesn't mean you'd do well necessarily.
Hahahhahaha. Why is that so funny?

HSC
N/A
cfair said:
Because it is a prime example of typical ruse arrogance.
Yep. ;)

(In all honesty though... heaps of schools just don't give people opportunities. It's not the students' faults either.)

Heliotrope said:
I put pH, and I'm fairly sure it was the right answer, in light of the other options. Enzymes need a certain pH in order to function at optimum level, so changing it could well have sped up the reaction. And yeah, if an enzyme was heated to 75 degrees it would be completely denatured.
Actually yeah you're probably right... stupid not to read all the options. :eek:

cccclaire

HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
I hear one school in central/east-ish Sydney only registers for four papers, and the partakers of the exam must be doing the respective course.
my school only registered for two papers this year. Out of all of the sciences too.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
cccclaire said:
The blood group questions were ok. except I'm not sure if I did the last one right, where it was like 'what is the probability of AB' I just did p(I^A) x p(I^B) which I worked out was 2%, but my friend got 4%.
hey... thats me.

now that I think about that question i'm not really sure.
I did p(I^A x I^B) + p(I^B x I^B).

ah.
i guess it doesn't really matter so much
its not like i'm expecting to get in or anything :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)