• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Binomial theorem differentiation (1 Viewer)

iLean

HSC
N/A
My teacher said we aren't allowed to differentiate the sigma in binomial theorem. She said something about it not being mathematically correct to just differentiate a sigma so instead she told us to expand it first and then differentiate.
My tutor on the other hand said that its perfectly valid to bring the sigma out before the d/dx and continue.

Who is correct?

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
It is mathematically incorrect to do so if the sigma refers to an infinite sum, i.e.:

Whereas:

This is because firstly:

And, the sigma notation is simply that, a notation for what ... is.

Tell this to your teacher, if she still does not accept, ask her why it is justified to assume that differentiation is applicable in a sum where it exists a

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
My teacher said we aren't allowed to differentiate the sigma in binomial theorem. She said something about it not being mathematically correct to just differentiate a sigma so instead she told us to expand it first and then differentiate.
My tutor on the other hand said that its perfectly valid to bring the sigma out before the d/dx and continue.

Who is correct?
Binomial theorem has partial sums (finite sums up to say N).

Differentiation of a finite sum is perfectly legal, sigma notation and writing it out are equivalent things. One is just a concise way of writing the other, it is not some operation or anything.

Your tutor is correct, your teacher is incorrect.

iLean

HSC
N/A
Thanks guys, I'll let you know what happens :)

iLean

HSC
N/A
Alright it's allowed now :)

When solving for the coefficient of a term, can I use this method:

As opposed to this:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)