Biggest pickle of my life (1 Viewer)

wkim7

HSC
Hi guys, I'm a 2012 graduate and I've received my main round offer as B Mechanical Eng/M Biomedical Eng at UNSW.
However, yesterday, I received a late round offer from USYD for B Biomedical Eng.

Just comparing both unis, i need to get a credit average in the first three years of my undergraduate program at UNSW to do my Masters in Biomedical Engineering. In total, this course duration is 5 years (provided that I do manage to achieve the credit average).

USYD on the other hand, provides an undergraduate degree in Biomedical Engineering, and is 4 years in length, which means it is essentially a year shorter.

I've asked around a lot but many of the people I asked are from UNSW and I feel as though I'm receiving biased opinions. PLEASE HELP!! WHICH UNI SHOULD I GO TO?

witide

HSC
UNSW are adopting a more international model for the structure of their engineering degrees. That means changing from a four year undergraduate degree to three years of undergraduate study plus a two year masters degree. USYD still has the traditional four year degree.

The USA has a four year undergraduate degree as well with the option of returning later for a masters degree, but if you intend to work anywhere else in the world, the UNSW degrees might be better for you. In Australia, it seems that businesses prefer hiring people with experience rather than 'over-qualified graduates', so the four-year model might benefit you more here.

In either case, both universities will give you an excellent education. In my opinion, USYD will give you your degree in a shorter amount of time and allow you to gather more experience before returning for a masters degree if it becomes necessary.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)