Big W tips (1 Viewer)

berra

HSC
i'll also be applying, but i got a few questions;
1. we need a tax file number dont we?
2. u know how they ask about ur past jobs, is it wrong to say that they (customers and employers) really liked u? coz i had so many customers telling me n d boss how friendly/warm i was and that my smile made them like coming to the place (i worked at a cafe), and also after i quit, my employer called me back, asking if i accept to work again. should i mention these at all?
3. how much do the wages start from, and when do they start increasing?

tahnx in advance to those who reply :)
btw, good luck to all of us sitting 4 the hsc 2MOROW!!!

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
berra said:
i'll also be applying, but i got a few questions;
1. we need a tax file number dont we?
2. u know how they ask about ur past jobs, is it wrong to say that they (customers and employers) really liked u? coz i had so many customers telling me n d boss how friendly/warm i was and that my smile made them like coming to the place (i worked at a cafe), and also after i quit, my employer called me back, asking if i accept to work again. should i mention these at all?
3. how much do the wages start from, and when do they start increasing?

tahnx in advance to those who reply :)
btw, good luck to all of us sitting 4 the hsc 2MOROW!!!
1. u need one when u get the job
2. say whatever you want.
3. depends on your age. but dw. big w pays well above the award. they increase when either you get promoted, turn older, or the award changes.

shariken

HSC
Wow when I had my interview's last year I didn't have to 'market' a product and anything like that and no one told me what to expect either. My first interview I had to hand in my resume and school report and had to fill in this thing where you had to match numbers to orders. My second interview was the one where they asked me about third experiences and how it relates to a job environment. Around 2 weeks or so later I was told I had the job and I had the third interview where they collect your tax file number, apply for super, apply for the union and know more about the store.

During the first 3 months of my job I got paid 9.68 and I was 17 then and most people get paid less during their probationary period. After that I got a payrise to 10.19 and when I turned 18 this year, I got a rise to 12.51. There may be more payrises because the sda is currently negociating with big w.

Words of wisdom from me would be don't get bright red like I did when I had the one on one interview and when your being interviewed and if you don't think you've done anything relevant, don't be afraid to let them know.

About a few weeks ago when I saw new people being interviewed alot seemed to wear uniform. When I went for mine I simpy wore a white shirt and black pants which is your uniform till you get the store uniform. The discount card should be given to you after you pass that period.

Borbor

HSC
Wow, I just got back from the interview, it was :confused:. Me being 15, I was in a group of 4 adults + 1 15 year old kid.

We got 3 activites:

1) 5 mins to get to know the person next to you and the introduce him

2)In your table group create a sales pitch (We had to present a bottle of listerine -_-)

3) Writing exercise - 5minutes, An old guy who's very loyal comes up to you, he wants something but you know the store hasnt got em, write what you will say to him.

Then I had the 1 on 1, suprisingly easy :)

The whole thing was rather informal, maybe I had too high an expectation. We only had one interviewer and he was kinda bored, I could tell. Oh well if I get it I dunno how it'll fit round school :(. We'll see in the next week

Borbor

HSC
but it worries me cause there were friggin IT MANAGERS APPLYING!

ack!

Aryanbeauty

HSC
I got it :D see u at Warringah Mall (the best shopping mall in Australia!) he he.

I did not ask about the pay during interview as i thought it might make me look bad (greedy bastard, all you care is pay!) my family told me it will make me look bad for not asking about the pay. Anyways I got the job and really keen to start. Does anyone know the about the pay or is it the same as mentioned by Shariken? I can't see a 30+ yrs old mother working for $ 12 an hour!

Borbor

HSC
haha I got in as well! Induction this Friday at Aurburn right?

"Chubby"

HSC
Borbor said:
haha I got in as well! Induction this Friday at Aurburn right?
ahah when i worked for big w i had to go to induction at auburn as well and let me tell u...it's quite boring but at least u get paid for it :)

In case u wanna know, i did not rock up in interview clothes or jeans...i think i wore 3/4 pants....can't remember...it was almost 2 years ago..

Borbor

HSC
Christmas Casual at Macquarie, hehe I'm gonna have to break it to them I have to cut 7 hours from what I said last interview :\

shariken

HSC
Aryanbeauty said:
I got it :D see u at Warringah Mall (the best shopping mall in Australia!) he he.

I did not ask about the pay during interview as i thought it might make me look bad (greedy bastard, all you care is pay!) my family told me it will make me look bad for not asking about the pay. Anyways I got the job and really keen to start. Does anyone know the about the pay or is it the same as mentioned by Shariken? I can't see a 30+ yrs old mother working for $ 12 an hour!
The rate I said was for 18 year old casuals only as far as I know. 30 year olds get paid more but during the probation period you get paid less then what you would get normally if you were a normal employee because probation is a lower grade.

This site - http://www.wagenet.gov.au/WageNet/Search/View.ASP?docid=262123&query=(WOOLWORTHS)&quickview=Y has the award agreements. It's from 2004 but I think it's still accurate.

12 dollars isn't an amazing rate but one of my friends who worked at a vet only got paid 6.30 and someone else I know is getting paid 8 dollars at some bakery store, so it's better than nothing.

Oh and with your induction you will get paid for the amount of hours there but for me I had to hassle them because they told me that they paid when they didn't, so I had to hassle them and such. So make sure you check your bankstatements regulary to make sure that it's gone in.

Last edited:

KaelB

HSC
Hey Hey,

I recently became a member of the Big W Staff and haven't purchased myself a Shirt yet I was given an order form but lost it ages ago and was told recently I could order them online...I checked the Big W website but I could find anything other than the stuff from when I applied for the job a few months ago. Is there another website where I can purchase the required Big W T-shirt from?

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Hey Hey,

I recently became a member of the Big W Staff and haven't purchased myself a Shirt yet I was given an order form but lost it ages ago and was told recently I could order them online...I checked the Big W website but I could find anything other than the stuff from when I applied for the job a few months ago. Is there another website where I can purchase the required Big W T-shirt from?
imageworkwear.com.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)