Big Descision, should I give up some of my HSC year to travel? (1 Viewer)

Rohanco

HSC
Ok so I'm at a really big descision here. So I've enrolled to do the HSC at TAFE for this year, and First term begins in two weeks on the 4th of Feb. However I've also been invited by my best friend on a trip to China, which we had to postpone further just recently as his Mum fell ill, making the date we leave the day my y12 year starts. We'd bee gone from the 4th of Feb untill the 19th, which means my first day back at TAFE would be the Wednesday of Week 3.

Okay now let me just say something about the trip we were planning. My best friend had invited me to come with him to China early in 2012 so I've been anticipating it so much for nearly a year now, and I've never been on a plane before. He's Chinese and obviously that means he has family over there who we'd be staying with, which means the only major expense I'm paying would be the plane ticket, I'm probably never going to get the opportunity to travel this cheap again. Sorry for blabbing on about the tri, but I did just want to mention how much it meant to me, I've actually become a little heartbroken and the thought of probably not being able to go ( pathetic I know :p). That still probably doesn't change most of your minds, I'm assuming that most people on here would see the first 2 and half weeks of year of y12 more important than 2 and a half weeks spent in China.

Oh I forgot to say something earlier which mights way your opinion, with doing y12 at TAFE they quickly skim over some important points from the prelim Course in the first couple of weeks, do you think it would be worth me going to China if all I was missing was a bit of prelim summarisation? Anyway thanks for reading a whole lot of balbber about something that proably doesn't bother you haha, I'd appreciate your advise :)

Dan895

HSC
Uni Grad
You've got like 8-9 months until the hsc exams to catch up, just go lad... It's better to go and catch up on work than regret not going on that trip for your whole life!

mac1996

HSC
HSC at tafe is really shit, ive tried it b4
You would have to work harder than you would at school to go good.
btw what tafe u goin to and what course?

Last edited:

Maryanayeah

HSC
Go!! It seems like it means heaps to you!
You can get all the work needed for the two weeks and
complete it whilst there.
Also, you can always email/ and get in contact with teachers
i am sure about work needed!
It may help you focus more when you are back anyway :)

Goodluck!

studyhappy

HSC
stay. you have the rest of your life to go to china with your best friend.

Hazballs

HSC
Yeah, i would go if i was you.. i missed the first two weeks of year 12 because i was away and i'm doing fine so far, you don't really miss that much..

planino

HSC
Yeah my chem teacher showed us some of the chem notes they used there, and they're horrible and too detailed. You'd end up self-studying through much of it anyway I think, so enjoy your plane ride and China! It won't hurt to take some notes to read on the plane though.

I think you'll love the takeoff :)

studybot

HSC
I say go for it and ask for the notes in advanced, so you won't really fall behind.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Seriously? Go! It's at such an early point in the year, you have a whole 9 months to catch up or whatever.

In my HSC year, I was given the opportunity to travel. I went overseas for 3 weeks late June-mid July to Africa right before my HSC trials/my major work being due. It did not adversely affect my results at all. And this was not the only instance I took time out to travel and such in HSC year, I missed the first few days at the start of Term 4 for the start of HSC year as I was overseas from late Term 3 (final prelim exams) to start of HSC overseas, and I was away in Perth for two weeks during my summer holidays as well as being away on occasion for debating/public speaking. With good time management and the motivation to catch up, you'll be absolutely fine. When I came back from Africa, I was incredibly psyched and focused for my work because I knew I had to catch up and didn't have time before trials to slack off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)