Big Decision: ANU vs USYD (1 Viewer)

harlandione1

HSC
Yeah hi,

Im thinking of doing a Economics /Law (double) Degree at either USYD or ANU. I have a very generous scholarship for both uni's and am struggling to decide. I am coming from out of state and have no family in either place. I understand Sydney hostels are far more expensive. So I might be forced to go flatting in Sydney whereas I could definately stay in a hostel in Canberra.

I understand the ANU economics faculty is slightly better. is this true?
Is it really worth flatting over a hostel just to get a Sydney degree!?

I would really appreciate anybodys honest opinion

Thanks

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Those THES rankings are bullshit.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
Do you have any reasons to back up your opinion that they're shit?
1. Half of the THES index is comprised by existing reputation: 40 per cent by a reputational survey of academics (‘peer review’), and another 10 per cent determined by a survey of ‘global employers’. The THES index is too easily open to manipulation as it is not specified who is surveyed or what questions are asked. By changing the recipients of the surveys, or the way the survey results are factored in, the results can be shifted markedly.
2. The pool of responses is heavily weighted in favour of academic ‘peers’ from nations where the Times is well-known, such as the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Malaysia and so on.
3. Results have been highly volatile. There have been many sharp rises and falls, especially in the second half of the THES top200 where small differences in metrics can generate large rankings effects. Fudan in China has oscillated between 72 and 195, RMIT in Australia between 55 and 146. In the US, Emory has risen from 173 to 56 and Purdue fell from 59 to 127.
4. The performance of the Australian universities is also inflated. Despite a relatively poor citation rate and moderate staffing ratios they do exceptionally well in the reputational academic survey and internationalisation indicators, especially that for students. Australia has 13 of the THES top 200 and appears as the third strongest system in the world, ahead of Japan, Canada, Germany and western Europe (the G7 nations). This makes sense in relation to Australia’s international marketing but not all round performance or reputation.
5. It's good when people say nice things about you, but it is better when those things are true. It is hard to resist the temptation to use the THES rankings in institutional marketing, but it would be a serious strategic error to assume that they are soundly based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THES_-_QS_World_University_Rankings#Controversy

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Are there any other ranking systems which would fare better than the THES in your opinion?

My personal opinion on the THES is that as long as you don't take it as gospel, it's a relatively straightforward way of determining where each university stands in the arena of world academic opinion.

*edited - the keyword being 'opinion'.

Evilo

HSC
choose anu, its bigger, cleaner, is world renound (as per the ranking above) and you can take a breath of fresh air without swallowing pure car fumes.

jb_nc

HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
Are there any other ranking systems which would fare better than the THES in your opinion?

My personal opinion on the THES is that as long as you don't take it as gospel, it's a relatively straightforward way of determining where each university stands in the arena of world academic opinion.

*edited - the keyword being 'opinion'.
The Academic Ranking of World Universities by Shanghai Jiao Tong University

The university of Sydney was so cut by their ranking of 102-150 they tried really hard to have it pick up, and when it didn't they switched to the THES rankings and claimed it's true. lol.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
Taking into account the opinion of various opinions of academics from around the world. THES is a London-based study.

anonymus2003

Bored User
HSC
another source if the other is bullshit

http://www.webometrics.info/Webometrics library/AsiaPacific jul07.pdf

ANU = 60th
USYD = 126th

all the surveys have their ups and downs, because uni ranking is based on many factors, many variables involved and all of them might not always be published accurately so in all fairness using multiple rankings does help. but whichever way u look ANU>USYD almost every ranking.

BTW

2006 Australian University Rankings in the Shanghai Jiao Tong University World Rankings
Shanghai Jiao Tong University's Institute of Higher Education has developed a reputation for ranking the world universities. The 2006 rankings feature a number of Australian universitites within the top 500 as follows:

National Rank University Regional Rank
(Asia Pacific) World Rank
1 Australian National University 3 54
2 University of Melbourne 7 78
3-5 University of Queensland 10-19 102-150
3-5 University of Sydney 10-19 102-150
3-5 University of Western Australia 10-19 102-150
6 University of New South Wales 20-24 151-200
7-9 Macquarie University 25-40 201-300
7-9 Monash University 25-40 201-300
7-9 University of Adelaide 25-40 201-300
10-11 University of Newcastle (Australia) 41-63 301-400
12-16 Flinders University 64-92 401-500
12-16 James Cook University 64-92 401-500
12-16 Murdoch University 64-92 401-500
12-16 University of New England (Australia) 64-92 401-500
12-16 University of Tasmania 64-92 401-500

Last edited:

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
jbnc said:
Since the Shanghai Jiao Tong rankings are based on research, I don't think they should be taken into account when selecting a university...you know, to do an undergrad degree in.

nahtee

HSC
My mum is a careers adviser of a top selective school here in sydney that visits all the universities regularly(meeting people,attending lecturers,being shown around etc.) and she thinks that USYD is extremely overrated. She also claims ANU has some of the most excellent lecturers shes ever seen and the uni is also of a much higher standard and quality.Also she said she would recommend that uni to everyone over any other. hope this helps . oh and the main reason most people go for a sydney degree is because its closer for most and also because usyd has a connotation of prestiege.

ANU for me in 2009 (hopefully)

Last edited:

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
nahtee said:
oh and the main reason most people go for a sydney degree is because its closer for most and also because usyd has a connotation of prestiege.
Thanks for telling us why we chose to go to Usyd, that was really helpful.

I don't think you can really generalise one uni as 'better' than another in all things, at least not within the top tier. It's better to compare at least on the level of the subject you want to do. Most unis are very strong in some areas and weak in others.

bustinjustin

HSC
I nearly transferred ANU to do Combined Law there (or I wanted to anyway, they have superior departments in Asian Studies, Politics & International Relations, being Canberra and all, don't know about Economics though, but Sydney's Economics Faculty can be a bit too mercenary at times).

I didn't transfer in the end, I was never going to, had too much family and friends tying me down to Sydney, and I was finally settling in. Also, all animosity aside, I was genuinely happy, actually, I was very happy with what I was and am currently studying (Political Economy, a subject that has a whole department only at Sydney). Though if ANU had Political Economy, I would've been a lot more intent on ANU.

I think it comes down to the 'brand', which brand of tertiary education you like, and how much you want the Sydney scene. Have you been to each campus? Go with your instincts.

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Also, Sydney vs Canberra.

I was contemplating ADFA for a while, but in the end it was a no-brainer.

mimiian

HSC
Both unis are good. Period.

And if u really want honest, objective opinion, why would u post ur question on the Usyd forum? It's like asking McDonald whether fast food is good or not.

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
hahahaha top one RogueAcademic

You fail sf_diegoxrock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)