Bid to ban cigarettes for anyone born after 2000 (1 Viewer)

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
Tasmania's upper house is calling for a ban on cigarette sales to anyone born after the year 2000.

The state's legislative council has unanimously backed a motion that would effectively start phasing out tobacco sales from 2018, the ABC has reported.

The ban would begin taking effect once people born in 2000 turned 18.AdvertisementIndependent MP Ivan Dean said the move would stop young people from taking up the habit."This would mean that we would have a generation of people not exposed to tobacco products," he said.
Source: http://www.smh.com.au/national/bid-to-ban-cigarettes-for-anyone-born-after-2000-20120822-24liy.html

Thoughts?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I read this earlier and thought it was a good idea. Infact I am almost sure I proposed something similar on these forums before.

My only problem with the above proposed legislation is that it wouldn't come into effect until 2018. 2014 would be a much better start date.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I wonder if this man has ever studied Prohibition in the US and the consequences of that policy???

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I wonder if this man has ever studied Prohibition in the US and the consequences of that policy???
I've studied that. Prohibition can work; if it didn't every class A, B & C drug in this country would be legal and freely available.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC

is a roflcopter
HSC
good way to depopulate tasmania - boring place anyway

lighting up with some friends over drinks is a great feeling
so badluck to you kids

btw this will never get passed into law.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I've studied that. Prohibition can work; if it didn't every class A, B & C drug in this country would be legal and freely available.
No idiot, this only pushed cheaper, more destructive drugs into the populace.

Krokodil anyone?

RANK 1

HSC
if cannabis was cheaper and more freely available than cigarettes then we would definitely see a decline and cigarette sales and smoking related deaths

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I read this earlier and thought it was a good idea. Infact I am almost sure I proposed something similar on these forums before.

My only problem with the above proposed legislation is that it wouldn't come into effect until 2018. 2014 would be a much better start date.
Are you fucking serious?

The reason it wouldn't come in until 2018 is because that's when people born before 2000 turn 18, right now it is illegal to seek cigarettes to anybody born before 2000.

How you even manage to feed yourself is beyond me.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Are you fucking serious?
Yes, 100% serious.

The reason it wouldn't come in until 2018 is because that's when people born before 2000 turn 18, right now it is illegal to seek cigarettes to anybody born before 2000.
I know that. What I am saying is that they should make it illegal for anyone born after 1996, not 2000. Those born in 1996 would be 15 and 16 today. The legal age to buy tobacco in Australia is 18 as well as it being illegal for those over 18 to supply it to minors. 15 & 16 year old should not be addicted to cigarettes.

How you even manage to feed yourself is beyond me.
:tongue2:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
No idiot, this only pushed cheaper, more destructive drugs into the populace.

Krokodil anyone?
I had never heard of it before although have now read up on it. Are you saying that you think it is better for heroin to be legal than for (accepted as being worse) drugs such as Krokodil to be synthesised as a heroin substitute? Those using krokodil currently would be a lot less than those using heroin if it was legalised.

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
I had never heard of it before although have now read up on it. Are you saying that you think it is better for heroin to be legal than for (accepted as being worse) drugs such as Krokodil to be synthesised as a heroin substitute? Those using krokodil currently would be a lot less than those using heroin if it was legalised.
Id prefer the far less lethal form to freely available over the counter instead of some moron shooting up something cut with petroleum.

What you (and a few others) need to realise is most drugs are naturally occurring products and the adverse side affects caused by some are from synthed or laced products.

Marijuana and Coke being the two biggest examples. Pot and coke in its ~natural~ form is less harmful then that of Cigarettes, in that its not been laced with an ungodly amount of shit, ranging from Tar to Urea (which turns to ammonia).

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
What you (and a few others) need to realise is most drugs are naturally occurring products and the adverse side affects caused by some are from synthed or laced products.

Marijuana and Coke being the two biggest examples. Pot and coke in its ~natural~ form is less harmful then that of Cigarettes, in that its not been laced with an ungodly amount of shit, ranging from Tar to Urine.
I realise that. I don't have a problem with marijuana and cocaine. Drugs such as heroin and ice are those with which we (as a society in general) should be more concerned about.

Lentern

HSC
Sits uneasily with me, is there a precedent for this sort of thing? Saying that someone can't do something, irrespective of age, if they are born after a certain date? Receive a pension I suppose...

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
How the hell can anyone even enforce that...

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
ID. If they look under 30, request ID when selling the cigarettes.
But its a stupid idea in the first place.
This train of thought is exactly like the train of thought behind the HiViz debate for motorcyclists "it will work because we say it works, we'll just ignore the fact preteens are already smoking and everyone turns a blind eye."

Lentern

HSC
But its a stupid idea in the first place.
This train of thought is exactly like the train of thought behind the HiViz debate for motorcyclists "it will work because we say it works, we'll just ignore the fact preteens are already smoking and everyone turns a blind eye."
Don't view it in absolutes, if you're going to fairly consider don't ask if it will end all smoking ever(nothing will) or if it will mitigate the smoking "problem" at all. I think it possible could, though at what cost Caesar?

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Don't view it in absolutes, if you're going to fairly consider don't ask if it will end all smoking ever(nothing will) or if it will mitigate the smoking "problem" at all. I think it possible could, though at what cost Caesar?
If (when) I ruled this country I would rule with an iron fist.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)