Bible verses often ignored by Christians (1 Viewer)

mikeee

Greek Member
HSC
PwarYuex said:
The Ten Commandments are the most important set of rules in the OT, yet Christians ignore them.

Simply put, Christianity = NT.
Judaism = OT.

Jews, if you didn't notice, follow the OT, because it's their law. The NT is supposed to be Christian law.
100% correct.

Salima said:
Both apply to christians, hence the bible having both!
The bible has both cause the OT is like the prelude to the NT.

If both apply to christians then are you going to:

Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. (Deuteronomy 19:21) - OT

OR

"Turn the other cheek" - which Jesus said in the NT

Simpson Freak

HSC
"Well actually alot of families want to reproduce so that when they get old there is someone who is physically capable of working in order to support the family."

Yeh and what percentage of these families are african?
what percentage of african children actually live to be strong enough to support their parents? What percentage of the are even parents alive when they are strong enough? I mean are these kids lottery tickets where the more children you have the more chance some of them will actually reach adulthood?

anyway like i keep saying (except one time i think i made a typo and forgot to add in the "not") even if they want to have more children, when they can't even support the number they have, HIV is spread quicker by people trying to be fornicate not procreate.

again you are only disagreeing because you seem to want the attention and want to be different, or your just a dumbass. Do you not see the ads for world vision with the cliched situation of parents are dead and the big sister is nor looking after the 3 other small children. Even if the parents would die, the sister would probably have better life prospects if she only needed to support herself (something she can barely do) than to spend the next decade of her life rearing children her siblings.

"If you go back and look I actually did provide quite a good rebuttle, however it seems my piercing wit is much better at pissing people off than making people re-evaluate their position."

errrr if you were paying attention young padawan you would have noticed you were the one getting pissed off, and your posts were the ones deleted by the MODS for language not mine. if the F word is your form of piercing wit, would chest beating be your casual way to communicate in society? did you realise you had a great rapport when watching King Kong?

apart from those minor imperfections i must say you have a mind like a steel trap, that is rusted shut.

look dont worry no hard feelings, everyone has a right to be stupid, but please don't abuse the priviledge, you dont want to be greedy now do you?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Simpson Freak said:
"Well actually alot of families want to reproduce so that when they get old there is someone who is physically capable of working in order to support the family."

Yeh and what percentage of these families are african?
what percentage of african children actually live to be strong enough to support their parents? What percentage of the are even parents alive when they are strong enough? I mean are these kids lottery tickets where the more children you have the more chance some of them will actually reach adulthood?
More or less. Children to work and to support you when older is less of an issue in Western countries where there are retirement funds and other investment schemes and most work isn't done by hand.

Given a high death rate of children from disease, having more, means more will survive, can help with the work and support you in your generallyold age. Given that this mainly happens in undeveloped countries, Africans make up a large percentage of these families.

Salima

HSC
mikeee said:
100% correct.

The bible has both cause the OT is like the prelude to the NT.

If both apply to christians then are you going to:

Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot. (Deuteronomy 19:21) - OT

OR

"Turn the other cheek" - which Jesus said in the NT
Well both apply, but when something usch as this turns up, a contradiction, then christians will follow NT, adn what jesus was supposed to have said.

Simpson Freak

HSC
"Given a high death rate of children from disease, having more, means more will survive, can help with the work and support you in your generallyold age. Given that this mainly happens in undeveloped countries, Africans make up a large percentage of these families."

There is a high death rate because there are a lot of children and not enough resources (food, water, medicine, shelter, clothing wat ever) to meet their needs. Throwing children into starving countries will only make more starving children.

what are you telling me that the poor in africa do not have to worry about getting food and fresh water? are you saying disease is their only killer? drinking dirty water makes you sick, if there are less children needing fresh water less will have to drink dirty water, meaning less disease. Meaning medicine can be used for other diseases.

a family of 1 child compared to 4 or 5 will have more food and more fresh water to go around, more medicine for the family, more clothes and all the crap like that. that one child will have more chance at education, therefore better life prospects.

How the hell would it be better for a poor family to have 5 children when the parents are now more likely to die because they can't support themselve and their 5 kids.

"Children to work and to support you when older is less of an issue in Western countries where there are retirement funds and other investment schemes and most work isn't done by hand"

there is a current worry in australia because of the ageing population meaning, there are less people working to support the programs offered to all the pensioners. so yes it is a larger issue hear

Generator

HSC
N/A
Simpson Freak, as much as it may surprise you, Xayma's post made perfect sense (and it's quite true). Contest the idea as much as you like, but the fact remains that such logic is quite common throughout the 'developing' world, and in most cases the introduction of higher quality healthcare (or health care in general) is still to be taken on board in a social sense when it comes to sexual reproduction and familial relations.

Simpson Freak

HSC
well i will admit that i know nothing about the demographics of various african nations.

since i live in australia i aware of the ageing population and that contrary to what Xayma think's it is Australia that needs a higher birth rate so the younger generation can work and be able to pay the taxes to support the baby boomers when they become zombies and non-human.

anyway my last couple of posts had nothing to do with the thread title so i will say that if anyone believes starving families need more children to look after, i will let you have your opinion.

lol...i guess the main part affecting my common sense is Homer having to quit his job as a pinmonkey and go back to the Newclear Panner Plant when he found out Marge was pregnant with Magaggie ("your youngest daughter")

yy

HSC
N/A
it is a bit silly that according to the Christian view, a child who was taken away from parents and abused in missions cannot go to heaven, yet the people in missions can (their intensions were of course to save the child's soul).

HSC
I know this is old Testament, but its the same God.

Lol excuse me if I start my point with a story...we studied this in class.
In the old Testament there is a story about a man of God, can't remember his name but anyway he's living in a town and he has two guests stay with him. That night the whole town comes out and wants to rape his guests. Cos homosexuality is so bad and all that he offers the angry rape mob his two virgin daughters...!!! This is then tacity approved by God as he later kills everyone in the town apart from this guy and his daughters...and if you know the story, lol, then you probably know the next bit, the incest in the cave stuff?
Anyway, my point it, WHAT KIND OF GOD APPROVES OF THIS FAMILY??

There isn't much love and forgiveness in the Old Testament, its all bloodshed and genocide at God's word. So what happened to God between the old and new testament- he's like some kind of Jekyle and Hyde character, switching personalities in the books.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
ElendilPeredhil said:
Lol excuse me if I start my point with a story...we studied this in class.
In the old Testament there is a story about a man of God, can't remember his name but anyway he's living in a town and he has two guests stay with him. That night the whole town comes out and wants to rape his guests. Cos homosexuality is so bad and all that he offers the angry rape mob his two virgin daughters...!!! This is then tacity approved by God as he later kills everyone in the town apart from this guy and his daughters...and if you know the story, lol, then you probably know the next bit, the incest in the cave stuff?
Anyway, my point it, WHAT KIND OF GOD APPROVES OF THIS FAMILY??

There isn't much love and forgiveness in the Old Testament, its all bloodshed and genocide at God's word. So what happened to God between the old and new testament- he's like some kind of Jekyle and Hyde character, switching personalities in the books.
get this in your brain -INCEST IS NOT COOL, pls dont talk about. I know christanity is based on Incest (mary en all) but pls respect my feelies and dont talk about it cos its disgusting just disgusting.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
HotShot said:
get this in your brain -INCEST IS NOT COOL, pls dont talk about. I know christanity is based on Incest (mary en all) but pls respect my feelies and dont talk about it cos its disgusting just disgusting.
christianity is based on incest? i thought it was based on a man who was begotten without a father?

HSC
hotshot chill...I was just saying...it's in the Bible...look it up..Lol of course it's based on incest. right from the first family.
adam and eve married.
cain and abel and seth married...but who did they marry, they were the first 5 people alive??? Their sisters perhaps?? Lol..sorry, talked about the 'i' word again.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
ElendilPeredhil said:
hotshot chill...I was just saying...it's in the Bible...look it up..Lol of course it's based on incest. right from the first family.
adam and eve married.
cain and abel and seth married...but who did they marry, they were the first 5 people alive??? Their sisters perhaps?? Lol..sorry, talked about the 'i' word again.
EP, there is something you should underrstand, and that is that incest wasnt existing at that time, and at the time of noah. reason being that incest was the only form of survival, and hence the word didnt exist. incest is forbidden for us because we dont need it to survive. maybe if the whole of humankind was wiped out except for a family the tides would change (no pun on noah intended), but until that happens it is forbidden for us.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I recommend all to see the movie

"The God Who Wasnt There" directed by Brian Flemming

it uses historical facts in conjunction with the happenings of the Bible.

It is definatley worth your time.

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
ElendilPeredhil said:
In the old Testament there is a story about a man of God, can't remember his name but anyway he's living in a town and he has two guests stay with him. That night the whole town comes out and wants to rape his guests. Cos homosexuality is so bad and all that he offers the angry rape mob his two virgin daughters...!!! This is then tacity approved by God as he later kills everyone in the town apart from this guy and his daughters...
I don't know what about this story you studied, but maybe you didnt study it enough.

Guests were very important in those days because the angels of God walked around looking for people who would show hospitality (I believe you will find these two guests were said to have been angels or something along those lines). And handing his daughters over to the rape mob was not his first decision. He tried to get the people to leave them alone first.

When that failed, he had to surrender his two daughters that he loved most to satisfy the people. He was living out what the New Testament means when it says you must love God more than your family. He loved his daughters, but he loved God more. For this reason he would not hand over messengers of God to these people.

If God merely approved of the choice he made, he probably would have left it at that. But neither outcome was desirable for Him! Whether his messangers or the mans daughters were mistreated, it wouldnt have mattered. He would have been equally as outraged and disgusted. But since the guy made a choice to honour God, God showed him justice.

ElendilPeredhil said:
ElendilPeredhil said:
and if you know the story, lol, then you probably know the next bit, the incest in the cave stuff?
They were corrupted by the society they lived in. This kind of thing was common for people who lived in Canaan, and because they were exposed to people who thought this was acceptable, they're judgement was lapsed.

Just like what we find acceptable and taboo is largely determined by our society. There are somethings we would do that NOONE else in the world would do and some things we find disgusting that others do.

It doesnt excuse the behaviour... but that's why.

ElendilPeredhil said:
Anyway, my point is, WHAT KIND OF GOD APPROVES OF THIS FAMILY??
The smart kind ;)

The whole point is that we are not able to live up to the standards of God. We all make bad choices and we are all corrupted. If it were up to us to "earn" God's love, he would never approve us! He would distance himself as far as possible from us. ALL of us!

Even though these people made choices that really werent good, they were made trying to glorify God. As you can see they didnt do it in a good way. BUT God is able to use these poor decisions to his glory anyway.

He showed his justice when he killed those people who raped the girls, and also that he is true to his word (because he told Abraham he would destroy the city if 10 righteous people were not found within its walls).

The Jewish people did not associate with the decendants of the incest, the Moabites and Ammonites. These two nations ended up following the gods of other nations. BUT there were still some people from these nations who worshiped God.

Anyway, my point is that no poor decisions can seperate God's people from himself because he can use our weaknesses to show His strength. In answer to your question: A God who does not require his people to be good enough for him, but to glorify him however they can.

ElendilPeredhil said:
Ha. Hardly. Nothing happened.

There is a cycle throughout the Old Testament.

1. God's people follow Him
2. God's people worship things that arent God
3. God punishes his people for their sin
4. God's people repent
Repeat all steps.

God is a God of Justice and he is also a God of love. That's true in the Old Testament and it is true in the New.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
ur_inner_child said:
I recommend all to see the movie

"The God Who Wasnt There" directed by Brian Flemming

it uses historical facts in conjunction with the happenings of the Bible.

It is definatley worth your time.
seen it. its alrighti thought, could have went more deeper.

This is the movie too look out for. Its coming out on 6.6.06 (satan)

its called "The Beast"

check out the official site

http://www.thebeastmovie.com/

this is the plot

When her father, a biblical scholar, mysteriously disappears, a Christian high-school student named Danielle investigates. She discovers that he had stumbled across a cover-up of Christianity’s best-kept secret: That Jesus Christ never existed. Now that she possesses proof of this dangerous fact, Danielle confronts two strong forces: A band of fundamentalist Christians who will stop at nothing to suppress the truth, and her own desire for Jesus Christ to be real. The Beast dives into factual territory well-explored by scholars but largely hidden from the view of the public.
its still in production though

Wilmo

Child of the Most High
HSC
*flashes back to the Divinci Code*

"Wow, did you know this book proves the church is lying?!"
"No... I don't generally look in the fiction section to find proof :p"

gerhard

HSC
When her father, a biblical scholar, mysteriously disappears, a Christian high-school student named Danielle investigates. She discovers that he had stumbled across a cover-up of Christianity’s best-kept secret: That Jesus Christ never existed. Now that she possesses proof of this dangerous fact, Danielle confronts two strong forces: A band of fundamentalist Christians who will stop at nothing to suppress the truth, and her own desire for Jesus Christ to be real. The Beast dives into factual territory well-explored by scholars but largely hidden from the view of the public.
holy shit this looks like the lamest thing in the entire world. seriously, every single detail is the same as da vinci code.

creativity is dead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)