Beta blockers (1 Viewer)

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Ok I take these now for my performances to stop my hands shaking. I don't have a problem with it but a few of my friends say that it's not good to rely on them, and that it's a bit like cheating, and that you should learn to perform without them. My teacher says that most of the people he performs with have taken them at one point or another, but they end up preferring to perform without them once they get used to being on stage. I know the difference between using drugs as aides and using drugs because you depend on them, and I don't depend on beta blockers, but I use them because they don't eliminate your nervousness, they just stop the shaking which really interferes with a performance.

What does everyone else think of beta blockers? Yea or nay?

brassedoff

HSC
I know there are a whole range of things you can use to cut out the nerves. Some inhibit your memory a bit though, so research well before you pick one.

Zoltan

Too cool for school
HSC
Well I've been taking beta blockers for performances for a little while, and they don't have any adverse effects (that I've noticed :p) so they can't be that bad. Besides, both my teachers recommended them to me. But people seem to have different views on them - mostly moral objections.

HSC
'mostly moral' indeed

This thread is really wierd. I can't understand people using drugs to stop their hands shaking in performance. Here, I think, is the moral issue: Beethoven's hands shook for his first public performances. I Guarantee that. Bach felt nervous when he first played for an audience. Paganini felt his technique slipping as a result of nervousness leading to shaking hands. My point here is that shaking hands is normal, for the first year or so of regular (as in once every couple of months) public playing. Its something you overcome. Everyone is different and everyone overcomes them in their own way.

HOWEVER, my main concern is not the above one, but this: the use of drugs to forcably control normal and healthy nervousness may not have obvious health-risks or any negative side-effects on the body at all. However, there is one very negative side-effect in my opinion: the nervousness which causes adrenalin to run through you before a recital, causing your hands to shake , could arguably have a very POSITIVE effect on performances. Think about it. Practice differs from performance how? First and foremost, practice consists of private, intimate study - NO ONE watching you. Performance is similar, with the addition of an 'audience' - people watching you. Why do you think you make less mistakes in practice than in performance? obvious isn't it? But then, once the nerves assosiated with public performance are mastered - thru practice and experience and NOT with drugs - what remains in public performance? only slight nervousness and adrenaline - a feeling of excitement in the performer that will lead to EXCITING PLAYING! Mark me well - this is why 'live performances' by the best leading artists ALWAYS produce more exciting playing than heard on recordings (which are bassically like practice with a microphone). This is why reccordings of live music are even made! Listen to the Sophia Recital, arguably one of the best recordings ever made of classical music - and a LIVE recording. Artur Rubenstien said on nerves "I go to the concert with the feeling of [a] little heart beating - 'do I own the piece or not - what will happen?' But this 'what will happen' is all for the good".

The moral issues exist, and Huxley saw their implications (see 'Soma'), but the main issue is that people who in any way chemically calm their nerves or adrenalin (and thats what Beta Blokers do) hurts only themselves, by skipping the developmental part of learning to perform for an audience. Their music will arguably remain dull and straightfoward and notes-on-a-page, because they will never feel the excitement of performance to the full extent.

Even if BB's only reduce the adrenalin slightly, isnt what your looking for 'the edge' in performance. Than surely NOT taking the drugs, and instead working WITH the adrenalin is the 'edge' you desire. Music is not a sport, but an art, and when 'performance-enhancing' drugs become accepted in performing art, artists will certainly not be 'the best they can be'.

Last edited:

timyates_87

Hello.
HSC
well said...

the only way you should be getting over your nervousness is practising in public!! the more acustomed you are to playing to an audience the less nervous you will be.. ask your school to have a "HSC Performance Night" with an audience.. you should aim to perform your entire HSC program to an audience at least three times.. Beta Blockers are a stupid option and shouldn't even be considered.

Crowie

HSC
N/A
they r just the easy way out
if u no ur pieces well enough u shouldnt get nervous anyway

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Crowie said:
they r just the easy way out
if u no ur pieces well enough u shouldnt get nervous anyway
That's not true. I've been learning singing for 9 years, and I always know my pieces well enough that I could sing them upside down and back to front in my sleep, and I'm always nervous.
Actually, scared shitless would be a better term to use. I hate performing, even though I do it on a very regular basis, ie eisteddfods, concerts, school assessments, school concerts. It doesn't matter how much I do it, it doesn't get any easier. I hate being able to see people watching me....
Although I have a really simple solution; I just take my glasses off and eveything more that about 3 metres away is a fuzzy blur and I can't see people, so it's like there's not an audience there anyway... :rolleyes:

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
there is also a difference between being nervous (which practically every performer i know is) and ACTING nervous. Overcoming the latter state is what makes the difference between a poor performer and a strong one.
beta blockers shouldnt be used by strong performers. Performers should be in control of everything that is happening around them.....their instruments, their ensemble and especially their audience. Beta Blockers prevent this control, and govern a performance.

HSC
Emma-Jayde said:
That's not true. I've been learning singing for 9 years, and I always know my pieces well enough that I could sing them upside down and back to front in my sleep, and I'm always nervous.
Actually, scared shitless would be a better term to use. I hate performing, even though I do it on a very regular basis, ie eisteddfods, concerts, school assessments, school concerts. It doesn't matter how much I do it, it doesn't get any easier. I hate being able to see people watching me....
Although I have a really simple solution; I just take my glasses off and eveything more that about 3 metres away is a fuzzy blur and I can't see people, so it's like there's not an audience there anyway... :rolleyes:
I know nothing of singing of course, but I believe singing is by far the most nerve-racking of the performing arts - with guitar or piano or violin etc, you sort of hide behind the instrument. With singing theres nothing at all between you and the audience.

Emma-Jayde

Muahahahaha
HSC
Hmmm maybe. Unless you're one of those useless singers who refuse to perform without a microphone. (I'm actually petrified of the things. They screech right when you try to sing a good high note)
But if a singers hands are shaking it won't affect our performance. For an instrumentalist that's death.

:D Lol, but like I said already, not being able to see the audience/markers fixes me. It's great! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)