Best University for Finance? (1 Viewer)

pigyar

HSC
Just a quick question, does any know about how many student are doing commerce/ finance each year in UNSW? Beacuse it seems most of the ppl i know are doing commerce...

Thanks^^

Rorix

HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
Agree though USYD and UNSW in general can give you a competitive advantage for front office type roles which are ridiculously competitive but I don't see many people with a stand alone b com getting a crack(correct me if i am wrong here)
As far as I know the chances for someone with a pure bcom are pretty low at the top banks, although you might be alright for a Merrill/ABN/Lehmans - they even took a couple Agricultural Economics student this year.

I hear what you are saying about UTS Com/Law although personally I'd rather have BCom+Hnrs (and if you're going to get into IB, you probably qualify for honours anyway) from UNSW/USYD. And I think I'd take Macq Com/Law over UTS Com/Law if I wanted to work in finance.

BabyK

HSC
uum i dont want to be an IB??? im assuming thats investment banker??? yeh i don't want to do that, if thats what everyone is saying....i want to be a stockbroker/ dealer...so in that case which 1 is best?

HSC
BabyK said:
uum i dont want to be an IB??? im assuming thats investment banker??? yeh i don't want to do that, if thats what everyone is saying....i want to be a stockbroker/ dealer...so in that case which 1 is best?
that is what makes me laugh everyone always assumes everyone wants to get into ib when i reckon alot of people who ask don't want to. me personally i am doing advanced maths which is often meant to be viewed better then plain commerce

BabyK

HSC
wookie skimmer said:
that is what makes me laugh everyone always assumes everyone wants to get into ib when i reckon alot of people who ask don't want to. me personally i am doing advanced maths which is often meant to be viewed better then plain commerce
is dat, the course i think it was called B Mathematics and Finance at UTS? because i was considering that 1 too...

Rorix

HSC
wookie skimmer said:
IB is the hardest position to get so it is most indicative of what unis are the best to attend to maximise your chances for employment.

Also, BabyK, I said this to you before, but I doubt that in 3 years you'll want to be a stockbroker. There's a lot of difference careers in finance out there, and you're probably not aware of most of them yet.

MasterPUA

HSC
Rorix said:
Personally, I'm doing Com/Law, but if I could go back in time I'd just choose a straight BCom and do Honours.
This is the best option.

Bcom from a Group of 8 uni and then first class honours. This option becomes all the more relevant considering the change surrounding global business.

BabyK

HSC
what if i wanted to do a double major, say accounting and finance, would honours still be available? and would that differ in any way from if i just did a finance major? would i be disadvantaged in any way?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Rorix said:
As far as I know the chances for someone with a pure bcom are pretty low at the top banks, although you might be alright for a Merrill/ABN/Lehmans - they even took a couple Agricultural Economics student this year.

I hear what you are saying about UTS Com/Law although personally I'd rather have BCom+Hnrs (and if you're going to get into IB, you probably qualify for honours anyway) from UNSW/USYD. And I think I'd take Macq Com/Law over UTS Com/Law if I wanted to work in finance.
You realise those ag ec grads are usually 'assisted' into their positions by their fathers or uncles.

04er

HSC
BabyK said:
what if i wanted to do a double major, say accounting and finance, would honours still be available?
you could do honours in finance and even accounting if you wanted to. As far as I am aware, most people do two majors in commerce/business, unless they do a combined degree, in which case they may only be able to do one major.

BabyK

HSC
oh cool :) il do that then...im just wondering for finance which is the best mathematics to study? is MX2 ever required?

BabyK

HSC
what about MX1 would that be reccomended? for possibly more complex aspects in the finance field such as stock market analysis, option pricing, prediction of movements in international money markets and financial risk management?

Last edited:

04er

HSC
I've heard that there is MX1 in third-year subjects like Derivatives and M&A, but I wouldn't know for sure as I chose not to do them. Even then, it apparently depends on the lecturer you get - some are easier than others. If you haven't done MX1, that really shouldn't be stopping you from doing finance per se.

BabyK

HSC
no i was just wondering thats all, as i am going to TAFE this summer to do some, bridging sort of courses for maths, i was going to do MX1 and MX2 but as you said it's unlikely MX2 will ever be needed, so i will probably do MX1 just so it'll be easier for me later on i suppose :)

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
BabyK said:
what about MX1 would that be reccomended? for possibly more complex aspects in the finance field such as stock market analysis, option pricing, prediction of movements in international money markets and financial risk management?
Binomial Option Pricing isn't that intense mathematically.
Futures, forwards, swaps, Black Scholes...they all don't require anything above 2unit.

If you were looking at studying finance, you'd be wasting your time doing a bridging course to higher level maths, imo.

Last edited:

BabyK

HSC
of course they most likely don't require more than 2 unit, however i was looking at learning some higher level mathematics on the basis that mathematics develops the logic of the brain...which i thought would be fairly useful for the field...also if anyone could give me an opinion on the course B Mathermatics and Finance it is offered at UTS and UOW?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
BabyK said:
of course they most likely don't require more than 2 unit, however i was looking at learning some higher level mathematics on the basis that mathematics develops the logic of the brain...which i thought would be fairly useful for the field...also if anyone could give me an opinion on the course B Mathermatics and Finance it is offered at UTS and UOW?
I think you may find it difficult as generally the maths required in first year for you to go onto 2nd year math requires 3u. People with just 2u have done fine, but it will take some effort.

MasterPUA

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Binomial Option Pricing isn't that intense mathematically.
Futures, forwards, swaps, Black Scholes...they all don't require anything above 2unit.

If you were looking at studying finance, you'd be wasting your time doing a bridging course to higher level maths, imo.
An understanding of the Black Scholes Model requires knowledge of stochastic differential equations...

Monstar

HSC
Currently doing option pricing, mathematically really isnt challenging... the real difficulty is understanding the concepts behind the forumlas/method and applying it. Once you know the concept the maths is really easy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)