HSC
Best University for Finance and Why please

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
what happened to your other thread?

BabyK

HSC
it was deleted because too many people felt the need to comment about irrelevant subjects.

04er

HSC
unsw/usyd

choose the one that is more convenient to travel to

04er

HSC
Not arbitrary, based on experience/research.

So many 08ers are asking essentially the same question re commerce/business. The answer is always going to be the same no matter how the question is phrased. The major you wish to pursue wont change the answers we provide, unless you choose a less commonly available major (e.g. actuarial studies), in which case you should go to unsw or macq uni.

BabyK

HSC
lou071 said:
apparently MQ is good for finance
yeah i heard that too...but the uai is significantly lower that usyd/unsw...however mqs finance program specialiases in that "B Applied Finance" whereas usyd and unsw are "B Commerce"...thats what really confuses me in choosing i suppose

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
04er said:
Not arbitrary, based on experience/research.

So many 08ers are asking essentially the same question re commerce/business. The answer is always going to be the same no matter how the question is phrased. The major you wish to pursue wont change the answers we provide, unless you choose a less commonly available major (e.g. actuarial studies), in which case you should go to unsw or macq uni.
Um no, it's arbitrary.

When you say 'experience', one would assume that you have an understanding of finance programs of other uni's outside of UNSW/MACQ/USYD. Cant you see that the only way to respond to this question without bias, would be to research the business/law faculties of all universities.

Without that, there's not much point of pushing views aggressively.

04er

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Um no, it's arbitrary.

When you say 'experience', one would assume that you have an understanding of finance programs of other uni's outside of UNSW/MACQ/USYD. Cant you see that the only way to respond to this question without bias, would be to research the business/law faculties of all universities.

Without that, there's not much point of pushing views aggressively.
Reread my post and you will notice I mentioned that I've done the research. And it was bloody extensive and time-consuming. As for experience, that includes not only my own experience, but that of friends from UNSW, UTS, MQ, UWS, UoW and ACU.

The only arbitrary statements seem to be coming from you.

Last edited:

Rorix

HSC
It doesn't matter what the "best course" is, if that could even be determined, it matters who has the most employability. And that is UNSW and USYD, as 04er said.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
I would argue that the standard UNSW/USYD response, even without 04'rs research, would not be arbitrary as it's an opinion based on historical information and a general consensus amongst students who have applied for especially competitive positions.

"Cant you see that the only way to respond to this question without bias, would be to research the business/law faculties of all universities."

No need. Some IB's won't hire front office positions from anywhere but UNSW/USYD. Just considering this single example is enough to establish a valid recommendation.

BabyK

HSC
my father has a friend who finished Applied Finance in UWS, and he now works at Commonwealth Bank...maybe he is an exception but i asked him anyhow and he said it doesn't matter what university you have finished as those banks hire people from overseas as well, from universities that hardly would be known to anyone here, and they judge plainly on skills, based on interviews/ tests. But i would agree i guess with research or without that UNSW/USYD are probably the most preffered as anyone who can get 95 UAI is assumed to not be an amateur...im assuming what 04er is saying is that those 2 universities in particular will ensure the fact that you will not be doubted in your skills...any other university, and your employer will be watching like a hawk for the first, say 6 months to make sure youre capable, whereas most likely that wont be an issue if you've graduated UNSW/USYD...also i don't mind if the response is arbitrary or not, im simply asking everyones opinion and why they think that course is the best, as others from experience will probably understand far better than me, maybe they will point out something i haven't noticed.

Last edited:

keithmoon

Like a virgin.
HSC
We all know it's UNSW, 'cause I go there. There's no denying it.

Rorix

HSC
BabyK said:
my father has a friend who finished Applied Finance in UWS, and he now works at Commonwealth Bank...maybe he is an exception but i asked him anyhow and he said it doesn't matter what university you have finished as those banks hire people from overseas as well, from universities that hardly would be known to anyone here, and they judge plainly on skills, based on interviews/ tests. But i would agree i guess with research or without that UNSW/USYD are probably the most preffered as anyone who can get 95 UAI is assumed to not be an amateur...im assuming what 04er is saying is that those 2 universities in particular will ensure the fact that you will not be doubted in your skills...any other university, and your employer will be watching like a hawk for the first, say 6 months to make sure youre capable, whereas most likely that wont be an issue if you've graduated UNSW/USYD...also i don't mind if the response is arbitrary or not, im simply asking everyones opinion and why they think that course is the best, as others from experience will probably understand far better than me, maybe they will point out something i haven't noticed.
Dude, you don't know what you are talking about. CBA is not a good finance job, and its nothing to do with being "watched like a hawk" at your job. Just trust us and go to UNSW or USYD if you can.

BabyK

HSC
yeah alright which 1 usyd or unsw? one has to be better?

HSC
Vagabond said:
I would argue that the standard UNSW/USYD response, even without 04'rs research, would not be arbitrary as it's an opinion based on historical information and a general consensus amongst students who have applied for especially competitive positions.

"Cant you see that the only way to respond to this question without bias, would be to research the business/law faculties of all universities."

No need. Some IB's won't hire front office positions from anywhere but UNSW/USYD. Just considering this single example is enough to establish a valid recommendation.
yeah because im sure you know this don't you and you speak from experience that this is the case- I'd like to very much hear which firms these are and then prove you wrong. I know you are quoting someone else as I remember reading someone post this ages ago so its a fail post on your part as you don't know what you are talking about.

I'll admit a straight business degree is unlikely to get you into an ib in a front office pos straight out of uni but to imply people who have done law from UTS won't even get an interview you are pretty delusional(getting an interview means you are someone they'd consider hiring). However a straight commerce degree student from unsw or usyd is also highly highly unlikely to score an interview in front office and you'd have to be pretty f'n exceptional in terms of ur cv.

Ultimately if you can get into UNSW or USYD combined law program that's the best way of getting into an IB.

BabyK

HSC
how come a law program? i don't mean to be annoying but how would a joint law degree help? what extra benefits would it bring as opposed to just having a commerce degree?

Rorix

HSC
ifsonotso_100 said:
I'll admit a straight business degree is unlikely to get you into an ib in a front office pos straight out of uni but to imply people who have done law from UTS won't even get an interview you are pretty delusional(getting an interview means you are someone they'd consider hiring). However a straight commerce degree student from unsw or usyd is also highly highly unlikely to score an interview in front office and you'd have to be pretty f'n exceptional in terms of ur cv.
Com/Law UTS students generally aren't getting IB interviews. Either this is because they aren't applying, or they just aren't getting through.
Plenty of Bcom+honours students are getting interviews from UNSW/USYD.
Not sure about BCom plain.

Personally, I'm doing Com/Law, but if I could go back in time I'd just choose a straight BCom and do Honours.

HSC
Rorix said:
Com/Law UTS students generally aren't getting IB interviews. Either this is because they aren't applying, or they just aren't getting through.
Plenty of Bcom+honours students are getting interviews from UNSW/USYD.
Not sure about BCom plain.

Personally, I'm doing Com/Law, but if I could go back in time I'd just choose a straight BCom and do Honours.
I've spoken to a few friends who have got through- I don't know how many though obviously who are in the combined law program who applied and then got ints.

So to generalise and make outlandish statements on the part of vagabond ie: where UTS are dismissed is completely wrong and made by someone who doesn't know what he's talking about. Using one quote made by someone on boredofstudies and taking that as fact shows he is pretty ignorant.

Agree though USYD and UNSW in general can give you a competitive advantage for front office type roles which are ridiculously competitive but I don't see many people with a stand alone b com getting a crack(correct me if i am wrong here)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)