Best university for economics in Aust??? (1 Viewer)

S.T.P

HSC
title says it all, can anyone give their input, thanks

danielvh

HSC
Zarathustra said:
Yeah, I would think that as ANU would definitely have the strongest research rep in Economics.

...however, a really big part of an undergraduate education is going to be the quality of your peers and I think that they may be better at USyd/UNSW. The cut-off score for getting into econs at ANU is lower and it's seen by many as a second choice. This is probably just due to ANU being in Canberra while the others are in Sydney but I still think it will have an effect on how good the undergrad education is.

Kinda of why UWA is sucking for me a bit at the moment. The lecturers are very good in my opinion but the course is filled with idiots who are doing a degree just because it's a natural progression from high school. Good thing I'm going on exchange to the UK for a year.

If you're just asking in terms of employment... it doesn't really matter as long as you go to a good uni (Go8)

Krieg

HSC
In terms of undergrad, you can get 1 on 1 time with honors/phd students if you have any economic q's at ANU and this is in addition to lectures/tuts. So I'd say in terms of undergrad teaching it's very good too.

sf_diegoxrock

HSC
Arguably, ANU is the most internationally recognised university for economics because it has such a strong lead in terms of research mainly (some might say that this inflates the university's ranking and that it may not be a true reflection of whether or not it is the "best" university in Australia...)

My advice is to go to all the open days you can and get a feel for the university's atmosphere. There's really no point if you're only attending ANU based only on their image.

Actually, forget ANU. Usyd ftw :)

jas0nt

HSC
N/A
ANU's economics is very very maths based by the time you hit the beginning of third year. so if your calculus isn't so great... watch out.

that said i'm doing economics at ANU and i find it quite a nice experience.

if you have any specific questions, let me at em.

Last edited:

GreatRabbitWall

HSC
ANU is highly regarded - one of the things that sets it apart from other unis is that Econs at ANU is its own degree (for example, at quite a few other unis, BEconomics is the same as BCommerce, except that one of your majors is in economics). Commerce and Economics at ANU are completely different (you cannot do parts of one in another).
Because of this, you are required to do a lot more economics courses than other unis require from their ecnomics students. Additionally, 3rd year microeconomics and macroeconomics is a requirement at ANU whilst it is often an elective at other unis. So whilst Economincs is easier to get in than some other unis, a lot more is expected of you and you will work to pass from the degree, and employers know about ANU Economics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)