Best uni for studying Law? (1 Viewer)

Marmalade.

HSC
N/A
Quality of student = quality of course? fuck me, I may as well bin my arts degree as soon as I graduate.
I think the point was that being around overachievers motivates her more.

By the way, is your goal really to go to a top-tier firm?:confused:

HSC
I think the point was that being around overachievers motivates her more.

By the way, is your goal really to go to a top-tier firm?:confused:
lol, its a dude.

I toss up with big firms. I like the whole Patrick Bateman thing but some of my friends older brothers/sisters who work at top tier firms have insane hours/stress on a regular basis which kinda puts me off.

I still got another 5 years to decide though :D

zomg, so many posts since i last visited. not gonna bother reading them all. had exams...
Exams? that's what the night before is for!

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
well i didnt think i could fit 6 weeks worth of stuff in 1 night so i started studying 2-3 nights before. only got serious on the last night tho. rote learning ftl.

Loko

HSC
How is Law @ UTS? I might transfer there from Usyd because they have a straight undergrade B law, I hate doing combined.
I did a 1.5 years of a combined law degree at UTS and, for various reasons which aren't really relevant here, I'm finishing off my law degree at Usyd (graduate law) so I may be able to give some insight.

I had a couple of friends at UTS who dropped their second degree midway through and just finished the law part. They were really happy with their decision and I know at least one got a clerkship and grad job at a mid tier (if this is something you may want to go for). If you're sure about doing this, then this may be a good step for you, but otherwise it's probably a safer bet to finish your combined degree for a bunch of reasons. Even if you "know" you want to go into legal practice, another degree is often useful as intentions change over time. Keep in mind that even if you don't like your other degree, different subjects/electives can make a huge difference...

Anyway, sorry about the rant. In relation to your question, I quite liked UTS law: flexible timetables, recorded lectures, easy location etc. I have to say I prefer the Usyd experience, though, due to no tutorials (which I thought were a waste of time, though USyd is now going down that road) and better quality lecturers overall (imo). I went to UTS a while ago, though so things may well have changed.

Hope that helps...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
The, 'but if two people are completely equal and one is from a sandstone university...' line has been used on this forum for years. Realistically guys, noone is the same. The person who said that law firms look for graduates who are 'experienced' is also fairly wrong. Undergraduates don't have experience.

Tying these two together though, what employers are looking for are driven and interesting people. A clerkship is valuable on a resume, not because it shows experience (a few months in a firm as a clerk will not prepare you for the real world) but because it shows enthusiasm. An enthusiastic and interesting person who can create an interesting and engaging narrative about themselves will do well in interviews.

From my experience in interviews (this includes non-legal interviews, for example at Procter and Gamble) recruiters in larger firms, particularly at later stages of the interview process really want to get to know you as a person. At smaller firms, partners are looking for people who they won't have to worry about if they're left in a room alone with a client.

morning storm

HSC
ive studied law at all australian universities, and macquarie was clearly the best

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
Ok, basically this thread has turned into a battle of the uni'
s. I'm just wondering how many people that have posted are of have studied law.
Everyone has their own bias opinion on which uni is 'the best' in terms of teaching quality and future employment prospects. From what i've gathered, the 'best' uni for one person isn't the 'best' uni for another. So i will have to make my own decision based on what i've read.
I've also heard there are 'other' ways into becoming a lawyer other then through a uni course. Is this true?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Ok, basically this thread has turned into a battle of the uni'
s.
You've managed to completely miss the points that people with actual experience were making.

nicko1990

p-plater
HSC
oh cmon people it's quite simple

1) if you can be bothered to live canberra, go to ANU
2) if you want to mingle with the upper-crust / bourgouisie / slimy pretentious bastards, go to usyd
3) if you care more about your commerce degree and are only doing law because you don't want to 'waste' your UAI, go to unsw.
4) if none of the above are options, choose based on where you live.

circusmind

HSC
oh cmon people it's quite simple

1) if you can be bothered to live canberra, go to ANU
2) if you want to mingle with the upper-crust / bourgouisie / slimy pretentious bastards, go to usyd
3) if you care more about your commerce degree and are only doing law because you don't want to 'waste' your UAI, go to unsw.
4) if none of the above are options, choose based on where you live.
+1.

You are a wise man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)