• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Best Uni for medicine? (1 Viewer)

ahohen_77

Uni Student
HSC
Just wondering what the best Uni in Sydney is for Medicine/surgery....and i heard that you can't start medicine right away at USYD...is this true?

golfstick

balbrady's balbarer
HSC
N/A
well in sydney there is only UNSW and USyd that offer med...

Usyd is postgraduate yes. That means you have to have another degree before you can do the MBBS there.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
There is not enough anatomy in the early stages of the USYD course. I would recommend UNSW.

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
Depends on learning style. UNCLE involves more small group work, personalised learning, problem based is the used word, whereas UNSW is more lecture based, so it really depends on the individual

inasero

Reborn
HSC
I don't think there is a 'best' uni as such, because universities have different approaches to teaching, as well as differing emphases.

As I've mentioned in another thread, all the Uni's I've seen offering medicine at under and postgraduate levels are all members of the Go8 (Griffith Uni and Newcastle being the exceptions). It attests to the fact that wherever you end up, you'll get a good education.

Anyhows, the question is about as stupid as asking "what's the best high school", cos as we all know James Ruse has the most successful alumni, but there are plenty of students from other schools obtaining equally good UAIs. How do you explain someone who goes to a local comprehensive and obtains 99.75?
In the end, it's very much a matter of motivation and self-application which will determine your overall "quality", and not so much which institution you pass through.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
isnt newcastle the only internationally recognised one for med?

inasero

Reborn
HSC
its accepted in all states of australia, nz, and the uk....which hardly makes it international.

in fact, if you pass their medical college exams you can register as an MD anywhere else in the world. Friends mother was registered as a GP in Korea and did her exams again....meh....

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
i would say all uni's for medicine are more or less the same- bcoz there are lot of government intervention into the medicine degrees and stuff.

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
All countries recognise Australia's medical graduates, but in a lot of cases, you must do a written examination to back it up. (except places like UK, NZ, Singapore, etc.)

eskimo

It's cold outside
HSC
N/A
On the whole big scale of things, Australian Uni's aren't really that famous.

But yea, I doubt there's a best Med School in Aus. But some universities which are better than others. So only if your doing something like Law, you should care which Uni is the best.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by golfstick
well in sydney there is only UNSW and USyd that offer med...

Usyd is postgraduate yes. That means you have to have another degree before you can do the MBBS there.
No, it is GRADUATE. Would everyone please learn the correct terms already?
Originally posted by Courtenay
There is not enough anatomy in the early stages of the USYD course. I would recommend UNSW.
The old UNSW course threw students straight into the anatomy, whereas the new one is similar to the USyd one - Problem Based Learning. Med students are now exposed to the philosophical, ethical and moral considerations of medicine before the physical (ie anatomical) knowledge is taught.
Originally posted by ahohen_77
Whats better NSW and UNCLE?
There is no "better", only different.
Originally posted by eskimo
On the whole big scale of things, Australian Uni's aren't really that famous.

But yea, I doubt there's a best Med School in Aus. But some universities which are better than others. So only if your doing something like Law, you should care which Uni is the best.
Another misconception. Two, actually. Australian graduates are highly respected on the international sphere, often more so than American ones. The Australian standard of medical training has been consistently proven to be more in-depth and meticulous than the American equivalent, mainly because of the government regulation and longer duration of the total training period (around 12 years).
Originally posted by santaslayer
unsw for sure
NO. You are WRONG.

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
lol - chill Lexico, you're biting everyone's heads off. Lots of misconceptions out there, yes, but it doesn't really matter what people think because in the end no employer really cares which uni you went to.

But I've talked to a few tutors, UNCLE is preferable to both Usyd and UNSW in terms of course structure (as it mixes practical, clinical and theoretical experience together).

And I don't really see how "post-graduate" and "graduate" are any different. They were emphasising a difference at the open day, but essentially both refer to you having at least one degree before you enter the course, hence post (after)-graduate (graduate of a degree). Pedantics aside, go UNCLE! :D

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
lol - chill Lexico, you're biting everyone's heads off. Lots of misconceptions out there, yes, but it doesn't really matter what people think because in the end no employer really cares which uni you went to.
Yeah I know. But as a mod it just shits me that people keep asking the SAME questions over and over without bothering to see if they've been answered before. This is a small thing, and I can forgive it if you're a fairly recent member or whatever. But when people repeat the same WRONG information after they've already been corrected, now that's just too much.
Originally posted by CHUDYMASTER
And I don't really see how "post-graduate" and "graduate" are any different. They were emphasising a difference at the open day, but essentially both refer to you having at least one degree before you enter the course, hence post (after)-graduate (graduate of a degree). Pedantics aside, go UNCLE! :D
There is a real and important difference, and it seems that only high schoolers can't understand it. Graduate refers to a degree you earn AFTER gaining a Bachelor's degree, but which requires no previous study in its own field. It is a Bachelor's degree like any other. Postgraduate refers to study in addition to initial studies in its own field. You must have a Bachelor's degree in Medicine before you can attempt any Postgraduate accreditation.

The reason this is important is that if you talk about "Graduate" and "Postgraduate" study with ANYONE that matters (ie employers, academics, etc) you will confuse them. You need to know what you're talking about, and quite frankly it's better to be angry at me now for embarassing you than angry at yourself later for allowing yourself to look ignorant.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
He's Mod.. he can do anything he wants.. and still not get banned :p.. but he is right.. there is a real difference between grad and post-grad.. else ure employer will think ure imcompetant... lexi's just saving our sorri asses

CHUDYMASTER

HSC
Originally posted by Lexicographer
Yeah I know. But as a mod it just shits me that people keep asking the SAME questions over and over without bothering to see if they've been answered before. This is a small thing, and I can forgive it if you're a fairly recent member or whatever. But when people repeat the same WRONG information after they've already been corrected, now that's just too much.There is a real and important difference, and it seems that only high schoolers can't understand it. Graduate refers to a degree you earn AFTER gaining a Bachelor's degree, but which requires no previous study in its own field. It is a Bachelor's degree like any other. Postgraduate refers to study in addition to initial studies in its own field. You must have a Bachelor's degree in Medicine before you can attempt any Postgraduate accreditation.

The reason this is important is that if you talk about "Graduate" and "Postgraduate" study with ANYONE that matters (ie employers, academics, etc) you will confuse them. You need to know what you're talking about, and quite frankly it's better to be angry at me now for embarassing you than angry at yourself later for allowing yourself to look ignorant.
Ahh, I see. Well fair enough, but you didn't have to put it so bluntly and rudely, geez. You're thinking in very technical terms, rather than how it is loosely treated amongst common folk.
I don't think it'll personally affect me (and if it will, not for a while) so I have the right to be a little ignorant. ;)

ALSO:
Part of being a doctor is patience. If you don't have the patience to explain things to newbies or ignorant folk such as myself, why you chose medicine is somewhat questionable.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)