Best tutoring colleges (1 Viewer)

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Personally, I find private tutor to be best, especially for maths. I went to tipps before but I quit cos I didn't really follow the concepts well during class. I had Kobskii and yeah, i didn't think he taught that well. However, i did like rikki's way of teaching cos i found he actually went through the concept thoroughly and explained the concept well..and I remember how i was thinking how i'd rather have rikki as a group tutor than get some avg private tutor.

ohh yeah, i also didn't really like terry lee's way of teaching. so yeps.. '

HSC
VuongstER_boi said:
Personally, I find private tutor to be best, especially for maths. I went to tipps before but I quit cos I didn't really follow the concepts well during class. I had Kobskii and yeah, i didn't think he taught that well. However, i did like rikki's way of teaching cos i found he actually went through the concept thoroughly and explained the concept well..and I remember how i was thinking how i'd rather have rikki as a group tutor than get some avg private tutor.

ohh yeah, i also didn't really like terry lee's way of teaching. so yeps.. '
HAHA really.. i never did maths at Tipps.. i did english last year,, BUT i know that MATHS there is REALLLLLLLLLLY famous amongst viets and chinkiis HAHA..

i went to yagoona yesterday LOLSSSSSS havent been since tipps LOLS

i heard that in the ratio in kobskii classes are really good like 7/10 peole get 95 + .. as my old maths tut told me :p

noobtrees

HSC
Basically: Don't go to Harry's Education Centre as it is pathetic, disgusting and hideous.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Pathetic, disgusting and hideous aye?

lovethehsc

HSC
N/A
For mathematics, i think, it's actually pretty good doing group tuition as a lot of HSC maths is just about doing many past papers and revision.

However for english you would require a more personal approach since each person studies different texts (not to mention related texts, and creating a distinctive thesis). So private tutors are best. The only problem is that english tutors are generally more expensive than maths tutors although (in my case at least) they are far more interesting and even passionate.

But anyway in regards to the thread title: discovery college.

James747

HSC
noobtrees said:
Basically: Don't go to Harry's Education Centre as it is pathetic, disgusting and hideous.
Agreed.

They are sooo cheap. They give you like an ultra thin booklet, and if you lose it you'll have to pay like 20 cents per every sheet of paper. They bloody chase you every single lesson to pay out your fees if you dont pay out for the term in one go.

One kid missed a week but paid one less week initially, but they still made hime pay for the week he missed! ==" The kid was stupid, but still, it just illustrates how cheap they are, which is why I am desperately searching for a tutor now. Anyone can recommend one (i hav read this thread but it needs to be in hurstvilleor near there) ?

James747

HSC
davidw89 said:
people mostly ask harry's after their class e.g. tuesday afternnon or if u stil ldont get it ask the tutor guy but theres worked solution so u should get it

his materials are awesome
cheers
i recommend harrys over dr dhu
the tutor's horrorble.... youtube "harry's education centre" and you'll know what i mean... haha

HSC
N/A
James747 said:
the tutor's horrorble.... youtube "harry's education centre" and you'll know what i mean... haha
lol ur right tutors horrible on youtube

but harry is actually ok! hes a pretty good maths teacher

and i may be tutoring soon, and im ok :)

chicka.boo226

HSC
hey.. what do you guys think about north shore tutoring? i've been reading mixed responses, and right now im considering enrolling for their maths holiday hsc program. are they good?

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
I have been going to James An College for a while and it has improved my mathematics and english results quite a bit.

flowergrl

HSC
Razizi said:
I have been going to James An College for a while and it has improved my mathematics and english results quite a bit.
NOOOO WAYYYYYYYY. (shudder).
I warn you, do NOT go there. It's a prison, plus they give you crap tuition.

I shall quote from the maths teacher: "I do NOT know why you expand brackets this way, but it works..." (binomial expansion).

and NOT discovery college!!! I'd recommend PRIOR education. They don't advertise cos they use that money instead for educating the students. The tutors there have very long range of experience, plus, it's a fun-filled lesson!

live.fast

HSC
N/A
Hey, my friend said PRIOR costs thousands of dollars per term.. is that true? lol or is that total bs???

Last edited:

-maylee-

HSC
hey guys,

I haven't had a chance to read through the entire forum, but so far I'm a bit sceptical. Since this forum is anonymous, how do I know that you guys aren't all promoters/current tutors for a particular company? I mean it's pretty easy to *say* so and so tutoring is crap and this company is better, but don't you think it's a little bit dodgy?

I don't know, it's just that I'm looking for a tutor for my little brother and with so many varying views on a single company, it seems a bit confusing.

salnkat

HSC
N/A
Hi, I've just joined so bare with me. Does anyone know of a good tutor for Advanced English, specifically imaginative journeys and Coleridge poems in the southern suburbs of Sydney? Thanks

o.bi.sess

You feeling lucky, punk?
HSC
-maylee- said:
hey guys,

I haven't had a chance to read through the entire forum, but so far I'm a bit sceptical. Since this forum is anonymous, how do I know that you guys aren't all promoters/current tutors for a particular company? I mean it's pretty easy to *say* so and so tutoring is crap and this company is better, but don't you think it's a little bit dodgy?

I don't know, it's just that I'm looking for a tutor for my little brother and with so many varying views on a single company, it seems a bit confusing.
Different people have different views on the colleges. Personally, I hate coaching colleges, so I would say they're all crap, but some people really like them. There were girls at my school who would officially practice Dr Du as a religion if they could and others quit after two or three weeks.

Everyone's experiences in coaching colleges are different. And it does depend on whether the tutor's teaching style clashes with the student's learning style, just like in school. I went to a coaching college up until Year 10, realised how much money I was wasting since I was basically doing revision I could do at home and quit. Never looked back since.

I would suggest that your brother go for a private tutor/really really small group (no more than 4 people) if he wants outside of school help. Tutoring is meant to build up on what he's learnt in class and their objective is not to teach the entire HSC course in three months, half a year before Year 12 officially begins. I also find that some coaching colleges cater for all abilites in the one class so the more "advanced" students are getting pulled back until everyone is at the same level/understanding. Private tutors can work at the pace needed etc., etc.

Teo.Kai

HSC
personally I recommend Tipps to anyone who is looking for a tutor centre. The staff are friendly and helpful. Kobskii, the tutor who takes the senior A classes and all of the year 12 classes is very helpful and dedicated towards mathematics. I currently go there for English (Split to Standard soon), Extension I and Extension II maths.

It's cheap as well! For maths its $30/lesson [two hours + 15 minutes break]
For english its $30/lesson [Before year 12: 1 hour 45mins no break, During year 12: the timetable is extremly flexible and you'll have to enquire there for more information ><" too much to explain]

VuongstER_boi

HSC
Well, i didnt like tipps becos they never marked ur hw properly. Also, I found it hard to understand wat kobskii was explaining. its not clear. lol. but yea, my opinion onlies.

Teo.Kai

HSC
The homework marking lolol. yeah the homework bit is really slack. --'
i didn't hand my homework in for a year and they didn't chase me up, its more of its your future so you should do the homework, and any queries just email kobskii rofl~ kobskii's explaining is alrite, just he gets a bit eccentric sometimes... or when he goes overseas and replacement tutors are just total...failures, buh there's always a few that are good~

VuongstER_boi

HSC
lol. I thought Ricky was the best imo. But anyways, when did u start tipps? I've been there since yr 9..quit last yr. lol. so 9 10 11 for me. hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)