Best Textbooks for Chemistry and Physics? (1 Viewer)

Jacack23

HSC
Hi all,

Sorry I know everyone asks this question every year, but I can only find threads discussing the best textbooks from 8 years ago which I figure are obsolete because of curriculum changes. First question is what is the best textbook(s) for Chemistry? I've heard the Pearson ones are pretty good for depth and that 'In Focus' ones are good for simplicity and summarisation. Is that correct? My second question is what is the best textbook(s) for Physics? I basically had chosen the Jacaranda textbook (which I hear is particularly good for physics) but then my Dad's Colleague's Wife who used to work at James Ruse and now runs a private tutoring business for the Physics Olympiad suggested that the 'Surfing' textbooks are really good for physics. I have more of an idea of the best textbooks for chemistry (please do advise me what they are though) than I do with physics textbooks which I am now incredibly confused about. So please, if anyone has any strong feelings about a certain textbook please tell me.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Not addressing your question directly. But, in my view, you can also try to acquire a 1st year university text on Chemistry and on Physics. Such books can set you back over $100 brand new - but you can pick them up at a Lifeline book sale (held several times a year) for between $5 to $10. Why do I suggest this? Your HSC text books must necessarily be limited in their coverage. For some areas, their coverage is rather brief; so you do not have a full picture. You can then refer to your uni text for more detailed info. Of course, you may sometimes find the treatment a little beyond you; but so be it.

To be an expert in any area, try studying it one level higher.

Last edited:

ultra908

HSC
I'm using a combination of Nelson and ATAR notes. I feel Pearson is very good and in depth but has alot of stuff that just isn't necessary to understand the course content. Nelson is slightly briefer, but still good explanations and examples. ATAR Notes is very concise and good for revision.
Ofc, none of the textbooks are sufficient, practice exams are the way to go to get better at exam style qs. Soz don't do phys tho :(

thenotorious_ky

HSC
Excel Textbook is the best as it is very organised based on every syllabus, it basically gives you dotpoint notes instead of flipping through school textbook back and forth.

FocusTutoring

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Most public libraries will have copies of Year 11 and 12 textbooks. I suggest you borrow a couple, use them, and see which suits you the best. Everyone is different, so sometimes it is hard to pick a textbook based on other peoples recommendations. Good luck!

Time&moretime

HSC
Hi all,

Sorry I know everyone asks this question every year, but I can only find threads discussing the best textbooks from 8 years ago which I figure are obsolete because of curriculum changes. First question is what is the best textbook(s) for Chemistry? I've heard the Pearson ones are pretty good for depth and that 'In Focus' ones are good for simplicity and summarisation. Is that correct? My second question is what is the best textbook(s) for Physics? I basically had chosen the Jacaranda textbook (which I hear is particularly good for physics) but then my Dad's Colleague's Wife who used to work at James Ruse and now runs a private tutoring business for the Physics Olympiad suggested that the 'Surfing' textbooks are really good for physics. I have more of an idea of the best textbooks for chemistry (please do advise me what they are though) than I do with physics textbooks which I am now incredibly confused about. So please, if anyone has any strong feelings about a certain textbook please tell me.

Fundamentals of Physics Extended by David Halliday is the best but the most challenging one!
I think David Halliday's book comes with solutions, otherwise one can do a search on the web. It is a good book but best check with your teacher. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)