Best scenes for powerplay In Antony & Cleopatra? (1 Viewer)

DaveYoung

Awesome
HSC
I have an assignment due in a couple of days and I need two more scenes that show off powerplay in Antony & Cleopatra. I've already analysed Act 2 Scene 2, but still need 2 more.

Thanks.

stillwaters

HSC
alrighty, ACt 1 scene 1, with philo and demetrius describing ANtony's power interms of the Roman values i.e. masculine, military strenght, duty thru allusions to antony being "like plated Mars", having a "captain's heart", "triple pillar of the world" (u know, pillar being strong, steady etc). also describing cleo in terms of being "gipsy", "tawny front" (implied racism here), lustful, so setting up binary opposition of power here, power can only be understood in terms of what it is not. central to powerplay is the idea that you need the threat etc. to exist in order to have power. also how philo and demetrius talk about a + c even before they have entered which shows how public image is part of being powerful, inscapable. set up of the scene with ppl i.e. philo and demetrius, cleo's handmaids watching a anc c reinforcing that...
hope that helps... abit of analysis from one scene...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)