Best online stockborker for novice trader? (1 Viewer)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
For those of you who trade shares online, which stockbroker would you recommend?

I am currently deciding between etrade, hsbc and comsec.

Of the 3, hsbc seems to be the cheaptest and etrade the most expensive, but I'm more concerned about the information and support they give clients (especially beginners) rather than the actual brokerage fee (although I want to avoid paying to subscribe to any extra information sources/software)

aditya

HSC
yes i would also like to know this information, my friend is part of one, i havnt had a chance to talk to him about it, he seems to be making good money solely on the advice of the trader.

so let me get back to u on that one.

is a roflcopter
HSC
it depends on how large this portfolio will be mr tony

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
It seems all the people I know at uni are using ComSec. I guess that has to count for something..?

big_ticket

HSC
N/A
Im using comsec....been using it for a while now...haven't had any problems at all with it.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
yup im on comsec as well.

doe

HSC
N/A
brokers get rich selling advice and executing trades, not by making you money

index tracker, index tracker, index tracker!

buy STW or SFY, Vanguard has an index tracker managed fund.

a good place to start learning about shares is "the intelligent investor" by benjamin graham

aditya

HSC
lol i keep forgetting to ask him, this guy is a complete nob seriousli he has no business sense and hes makign alot just by following the recommendations...

doe

HSC
N/A
yeah, the market has been going up over the last few years, so its not been too hard to make $. i know a lot of people who have made money, and yeah im a bit envious. the last 2 weeks it has started dropping, and i think we're possibly heading towards a bit of a downturn. house prices have been dropping in most parts of sydney, which will spread to the rest of the country. i think in a few more months things will be a bit clearer on whats happening.

its easy (and probably fun too) to buy shares because people around you seem to be making money, but you have to be careful, if you keep it up you will lose. the last few years has been a very good time for the stock market. for me the fun is trying to work out what is going on and how it all works, and hopefully later i can apply that knowledge for the rest of my life to make me money. another thing to be wary of is that people dont usually brag about thier failures, so even if he's making a lot of money, he could well have lost more and is just blagging to cover up.

at the moment im just paper trading, the asx has this free service that lets you set up watch lists so you can see how you go. for each different investment methodology i read about i set up a watch list and trade that system, so i can see how it goes without risking my money. i find it pretty interesting http://www.asx.com.au/resources/myasx/index.htm

i dont think im missing out by not investing my own money now. firstly i dont understand it well enough to be confident of my own abilities, and secondly the sharemarket will always be there. i can read, watch, "play" by paper trading and learn. even if it takes me ten years to learn the sharemarket will still be there and i can make money then, and id probably have a better chance of doing ok, or at least a better chance of not getting wiped out.

i personally wouldnt trust brokers reccomendations for crap, despite regulation, the industry is still very dodgy.

Adrian.

HSC
I just signed up with CommSec, am waiting for confirmation. I think they're cheaper than HSBC.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
doe said:
yeah, the market has been going up over the last few years, so its not been too hard to make $. i know a lot of people who have made money, and yeah im a bit envious. the last 2 weeks it has started dropping, and i think we're possibly heading towards a bit of a downturn. house prices have been dropping in most parts of sydney, which will spread to the rest of the country. i think in a few more months things will be a bit clearer on whats happening.

its easy (and probably fun too) to buy shares because people around you seem to be making money, but you have to be careful, if you keep it up you will lose. the last few years has been a very good time for the stock market. for me the fun is trying to work out what is going on and how it all works, and hopefully later i can apply that knowledge for the rest of my life to make me money. another thing to be wary of is that people dont usually brag about thier failures, so even if he's making a lot of money, he could well have lost more and is just blagging to cover up.

at the moment im just paper trading, the asx has this free service that lets you set up watch lists so you can see how you go. for each different investment methodology i read about i set up a watch list and trade that system, so i can see how it goes without risking my money. i find it pretty interesting http://www.asx.com.au/resources/myasx/index.htm

i dont think im missing out by not investing my own money now. firstly i dont understand it well enough to be confident of my own abilities, and secondly the sharemarket will always be there. i can read, watch, "play" by paper trading and learn. even if it takes me ten years to learn the sharemarket will still be there and i can make money then, and id probably have a better chance of doing ok, or at least a better chance of not getting wiped out.

i personally wouldnt trust brokers reccomendations for crap, despite regulation, the industry is still very dodgy.
How hard is it, just use their financial statements and analyse them

doe

HSC
N/A
its not as straighforward as that. if you use the numbers given in the financial statements, chances are you will be wildly innacurate. eg if they say NPAT is $x million ... is that including outside equity interests? quasi equity distributions? you better check. do the current financial liabilities accurately represent their leasing commitments? you might wanna check that as well. on and on and on. once youve got a realistic set of numbers, you can then forecast cahsflows and growth for the next ten years, and discount them to the present value. thats before trying to work out if theres anyone dodgy on the board or if their products are going to get blindsided by cheap imports in six months.

its not rocket science, and you can do it, but it is time consuming. imo you cannot trust (most) financial research companies to do it for you, because the people they are doing the analysis of are also the people that they do a significant amount of business with.

im just warning people against trading on a) dubious reccomendations and b) throwing their money at something they dont understand, just because everyone else is. by all means buy shares, but try understand how it works. this is all im saying. the book i reccomended by benjamin graham will cover most of these things. index trackers (STW and SFY on the asx) are described well in "a random walk down wall st"

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Korn said:
How hard is it, just use their financial statements and analyse them
it is easily to tell if a firm is profitable or not, but it doesnt really mean the share is going to rise, sometimes they reinvest and stuff, pay dividends etc.

numbers could be fudged aswell.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
theone123 said:
it is easily to tell if a firm is profitable or not, but it doesnt really mean the share is going to rise, sometimes they reinvest and stuff, pay dividends etc.

numbers could be fudged aswell.
Thats why there are auditors, and you look at much more then mere profitability

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
theone123 said:
haha thats why arthur anderson and HIH colluded and fudges the numbers
Yeah that shit happens but its rare and where else are u gonna get ur figures

aditya

HSC
lol im impressed korn...

nah but i think the guy wants some short term gain... so yeh he'd want to know about recent floats and shit, these online traders are good for that

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
aditya said:
lol im impressed korn...

nah but i think the guy wants some short term gain... so yeh he'd want to know about recent floats and shit, these online traders are good for that
Why thank you, well i am doing an accounting major, and thinking about changing my major to finance with some accounting units

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)