Best HSC Biology Textbook? (1 Viewer)

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
Hey, I was just wondering what everyones opinion was on what textbook was the best for biology? Just wondering what one ill purchase.

Oh and im not talking about Excel type books either.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Excel is crap regardless. My school uses "The Spectrum of Life" I've found it to be average though, since it's full of alot of useless rubbish.

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
Our school uses Heinemann. It's very comprehensive but a bit shallow and does not include some important information, eg. the chemical composition and structure of enzymes.
Jacaranda is good, if not TOO detailed.
I got both so they complement each other :D

Tenille_69

Our school uses Heinamann too... But i found the study guide by Macquarie much easier to understand the course! :)

beccabum

hung up
in the outer suburbs of the middle of nowhere
HSC
My school uses Heinmann, but it doesn't go really in depth. It's good because it has both the hsc and prelim course, so you can refer back to the background work you did in yr 11. It doesn't include the options, you have to get them off the internet. Some of the stuff is from the unmodified syllabus (or at least in my book, i don't know if they've been revised). It is always a good idea to get more than one text just in case you need something clarified, plus it gives you a more in depth and wider range of info.

One book i recommend is the 'Oxford biology study dictionary'. It has been really helpful in explaining bio terms and giving diagrams. I'd sell you mine, but its already been bagsed.

hope this helps

S

Shuter

I've got about a million different ones, but I've onlyever used the excel guide mainly. It's quick and to the point.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
excel for revision
plus not many people use the cards in the back. Now, if you have trouble with bio before exams (especially genetics) use these cards as they are easy to understand.

Dabbu

Near the bush, the beach, the mountains, the river
HSC
I use the Hieneman with excel. you read excel to get the basic idea, the the other for a bit (not much) more detail.
Thing is though that the Hiennys are a bit old now cause they keep changing the syllabus so they miss stuff (and then your teachers a dick and doesn't teach you anything so you fail and .... sorry, ive got a lot of built up anger about this stupid subject....)

Cheers

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
macquarie is great for study. i rarely need to look at anything else but my prac book

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
lukebennett said:
macquarie is great for study. i rarely need to look at anything else but my prac book
Same, I just use macquarie and have hardly touched my bio in context book all year except as a source for a research task.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
I like excel guide.

I find its great to read through and go through your dot points just to refresh your memory.

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
Dabbu said:
I use the Hieneman with excel. you read excel to get the basic idea, the the other for a bit (not much) more detail.
Thing is though that the Hiennys are a bit old now cause they keep changing the syllabus so they miss stuff (and then your teachers a dick and doesn't teach you anything so you fail and .... sorry, ive got a lot of built up anger about this stupid subject....)

Cheers
thats what l do!!

i find it really good for revision. sometimes excel has info hein doesn't and vise versa,

S

Shuter

Misturi said:
I like excel guide.

I find its great to read through and go through your dot points just to refresh your memory.
It's the only study I've done all year. I just opened my excel guide for the first time 2 days ago and have read the 106 pages relating to my topics and I'm set now.

mattsta

hahaha
HSC
I finally got a bio textbook. If found the 'spectrum of life' far to difficult to read because it raves on and on about stuff which is of no relevance. It makes it hard to look for specific relevant stuff. The school uses spectrum of life.

But I ordered for myself the Jacaranda Biology 2 textbook. Its fantastic. It has fantastic diagrams which explain the processes in a very clear way. It cuts out the bullshit and gets right to the point. It does go indepth as well even without raving on and on.

I think the school should order them in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)