Best history elective? (1 Viewer)

R1NA92

HSC
Hey guys!
I'm enrolling in first year BLAS at USYD and trying to decide amongst undergrad history electives.
- HSTY1025 - The Middle Ages
- HSTY1031 - Renaissance and Reformation (1498-1648)
- HSTY1044 - Twentieth Century Europe
- HSTY1045 - Modern Europe History 1750-1914

I do have somewhat of an interest in Europe, Church of England, and the Elizabethan era however also in the Holocaust and the Cold War.

all opinions/ideas appreciated!

Thanks xoxox

spiderpig333

first year B.A.
HSC
Probably by now my answer is redundant but, my friend is doing Modern Europe History 1750-1914 and apparently it's horrible really boring and the lecturer Dr Moses is really mean and embarrasses people if they have to leave early from the lecture. I will be doing Twentieth Century Europe next semester, and probably it will be good..

I did now HSTY1076 and it's the best course ever. Dr Coates is such a great lecturer and the classes (both lectures and tutes) are so engaging and interesting, and since you are interested in Cold War, it does deal with that in a number of the lectures..

aneurysm

HSC
Twentieth Century Europe was quite good. The Middle Ages and Modern European History were both horrible (Modern European especially) because of the terrible lecturers. The lecturer for Modern European was not Dr. Moses, but a different female lecturer... can't remember her name, but it started with an S. She was terrible - the worst lecturer I've had at uni, and I'm in my third year.

youandmexo

HSC
Probably by now my answer is redundant but, my friend is doing Modern Europe History 1750-1914 and apparently it's horrible really boring and the lecturer Dr Moses is really mean and embarrasses people if they have to leave early from the lecture. I will be doing Twentieth Century Europe next semester, and probably it will be good..

I did now HSTY1076 and it's the best course ever. Dr Coates is such a great lecturer and the classes (both lectures and tutes) are so engaging and interesting, and since you are interested in Cold War, it does deal with that in a number of the lectures..
LOLLL this is true about Modern European!
I started it and dropped it cos it was so shit.
lecturer was boring and yep he was really rude to people who left early! my friend filled me in as she kept it but honestly, i think it would have been better with a more interesting lecturer.

One of my friends does HSTY1031 and she just loves it :)

spiderpig333

first year B.A.
HSC
One of my friends does HSTY1031 and she just loves it :)[/quote]

Ooh that is so good to know I'm doing that next semester!! Thankyou :)

klauser

HSC
If Modern European History has Robert Aldrich, its an awesome unit - he was a very engaging and informative lecturer.

If Twentieth Century Europe is taken by Burkhard Jaehnicke, its fragmented and all over the place.

aneurysm

HSC
If Modern European History has Robert Aldrich, its an awesome unit - he was a very engaging and informative lecturer.

If Twentieth Century Europe is taken by Burkhard Jaehnicke, its fragmented and all over the place.
Burkhard was my tutor when I took the subject. He doesn't seem so bad, but as you said - fragmented and just rambles a lot. Can take all the interest out of the subject pretty quickly.

Obviously, it could be the language barrier. But he should know that coming here, so if it is... too bad.

HSC
ive heard good things about modern european history and history lincoln to clinton

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)