• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Best Budget $500 Guitars (1 Viewer)

Diverse music beginners guitar (I listen mostly to metal, but also diverse music)

• Total voters

RTTTYTR

HSC
Im havent played before & am looking at starting on electric, my taste in music is very diverse ranging from all types of Metal to softer classic rock and some country (Cash) & possibly classical (whatever influenced 'Tallica Thru Cliff)

Also the guitar I'm interested in most at the moment is the Ibanez RG170DX , as it has 2 Humbuckers & 1 Single coil. Is this a good make?

Also ones I have though might be good are:

Ibanez SZ120 (because of the 3 piece neck. How important is a 3 piece & what is its purpose?)
Ibanez RX70
Ibanez AX75 (Due to the Downshifter, what is it & how important is it?)
Ibanez Gio SA60
Yamaha RGX121 (Because of the 5 way switch & 2 Hummers with 1 Single coil)
Yamaha Pacifica 112 (have been told that it is good)

These prices are for Australia, as that is where Im posting from

If anyone could help me choose, I would really appreciate it.

Im looking @ the following brands & makes:

ESP's:
ESP LTD MH50NT $475
ESP LTD M50 $351.75
ESP LTD EC50 $446
" " " " H-50 $459
" " " " Viper-50 $479
" " " " F-10 $439
F-50 $486.75
EX-50 $486.75
LH50 $486.75
LM50 $499

Ibanez's:
SA60 $395
AX30 Pack $329
Jumpstart Pack $429
AX70 $394
JetKing JTK2 $473
JetKing JTK1 $199
RG170DX $299
SZ120 $391
RX70 $429
AX75 $470
RG321MH $516 (I dont really want to spend more than $500, so this needs to be exceedingly better than all other guitars under the $AUD500 mark listed.)

Fender Squire:
Affinity Strat Pack $486.75
Vintage Jagmaster $499
Telecaster Custom 2 $399
Standard Double Fat Strat $424.15
Standard Fat Strat $424.15
Standard Telecaster $411.75

Epiphone:
Special 2 $269
SG Special $269
Les Paul 100 $339
G-310 SG $329
G-310 Emily the Strange Ltd Edn (Who is this artist & is it worth the extra $) $428
Pee Wee Rave Rig Vintage $359
Les Paul Studio $489 Billy Hyde

Monterey:
MGS-14GT $449
MGS-16 $439.20
MGS-15 $399
MGS-11TWR $359.20
MLP-6 $356
MRJ-7 $339
MVG-1 $299.25
MSG-1 $299.25
MGS-7 $399
MGT-5 $280
MGT-2 $251
MGS-3 $251
MLP-2 $314

Washburn:
W I-14 $299
X-10 $259
N-1 $319
HB-15TS $483
BT-2QVS $329
I-24 $309
X-12QVS $279
X-20 $299
X-22 $299
BT4 $309

Jackson:
JS20 $399
JS1 $353

Yamaha:
Pacifica 112 $299
Pacifica 012 $205
Pacifica 012 Pack $389
RGX121S $339
Yamaha Pacifica 112 & GA15 Amp Pack $569

Schecter's (only if they are vastly superior, as I only want to spend max $500 on guitar):
Export 006 Deluxe $508.99
Export Omen 6 $508.99

AXL:
Bloodsport Wavepoint $449
Mayhem Fireax $499
Mayhem Wavepoint $350
Mayhem Jackknife $350

Greg Bennett:
Malibu $267
Formula $279
Avion 3 $499
Rockwell $439
Royale $399
Torino $499
Ultramatic UM2 $390.15
Ultramatic UM1 $339.15

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Go the Ibanez AX75, I got an AX30 and it's pretty sweet (though a bit cheaper than the 75), just make sure you give it a good test run first because a few AX models have been known to have a lot of fret buzz on the low-E string due to the neck being crooked.

RTTTYTR

HSC
withoutaface said:
Go the Ibanez AX75, I got an AX30 and it's pretty sweet (though a bit cheaper than the 75), just make sure you give it a good test run first because a few AX models have been known to have a lot of fret buzz on the low-E string due to the neck being crooked.
How do you find having only 22 frets as opposed to 24? & having no single coil or 5 way-switch? Are they really needed?

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
If you're looking at the amp as well, perhaps a pack is the best option. You can get a Fender guitar and amp for approx $500.

Check out the website www.turramusic.com.au for some options. And although I don't like recommending my competitors, Billy Hyde, Dicksons or Carlingford Music Centre may have other options that you could look at.

I've never heard of a Schecter but Fenders and Epiphones are probably the best. Ibanez's and Montereys are the next best. (only in my opinion)

RTTTYTR

HSC
ujuphleg said:
If you're looking at the amp as well, perhaps a pack is the best option. You can get a Fender guitar and amp for approx $500.

Check out the website www.turramusic.com.au for some options. And although I don't like recommending my competitors, Billy Hyde, Dicksons or Carlingford Music Centre may have other options that you could look at.

I've never heard of a Schecter but Fenders and Epiphones are probably the best. Ibanez's and Montereys are the next best. (only in my opinion)
Well for a Guitar & Amp Im looking to spend around $600.
Schecters start at $508.99 and up, so probably not the budget guitar brand.

And I have been told that its possible to get better equipment if I get non-pack equipment.

Also do prices tend to decrease or increase over time?

Also is the length of warranty important? Cause some have only 1 year, while others have up to lifetime warranty.

Last edited:
G

Gavvvvvin

You should put the money your gonna spend on an amp towards your guitar, otherwise your just going to end up with two pieces of shit that you wont be satisfied with.

RTTTYTR

HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
You should put the money your gonna spend on an amp towards your guitar, otherwise your just going to end up with two pieces of shit that you wont be satisfied with.
What $500 on an amp & $100 on a guitar????

RTTTYTR

HSC
Gavvvvvin said:
No, just spend it all on a guitar.
So in your opinion there are no good beginner guitars under $500? Even though some if not most of the models I listed have much higher RRP's

goony

i am here to ride bike
HSC
To tell the truth, for a starter guitar, i wouldn't spend too much. Get a good all rounded guitar (like a strat/superstrat or LP shape) with a small amp from reputable bands at a decent price (most starter packs will be under 600 bucks). Sure the guitar won't be that great, but you won't really notice it until you get better and start finding its limitations. It only really has to last a year or two until you upgrade your gear when you start jamming/gigging (upgrade the amp first i reckon :p)

but from that list, i reckon a yamaha starter kit would be the way to go. The yamaha pacifica 112/012 guitars can compete with many mid range guitars (my friend has a yamaha...loved the neck, pickups are pretty good for an entry level guitar, it's got a floating bridge system which lets you experiment with whammy stuff if you want and the tuners hold tuning most of the time). The vox amp it comes with is solid, and if you need some more distortion just get a pedal for it. However if you can get the ibanez starter pack with a toneblaster amp, i'd consider that too (those toneblasters are tough as nails). Personally i don't like the epiphone entry level guitars...the fender squier entry guitars are decent, but the squier amp is terrible imho. I haven't tried a washburn or monterey yet so i can't comment on that.

By the way, RTTTYR, did you post this on fasterlouder.com.au? i recognise this post from somewhere :p

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah the Fender Strat pack would probably be best if this is your first go, no point getting a beast if you're not going to play around seriously with it.

If you're only spending on the guitar, I upgraded to the RGX170, and am quite impressed with the tone and feel of the guitar. I had fallen in love with it after I played my friends 170.

The Pacificas have horrible tone and felt really bad when I played them (back in highschool) and its really a case of you get what you pay for.

As suggested above, get a feel for it, and find the one best suited for you.

RTTTYTR

HSC
goony said:
To tell the truth, for a starter guitar, i wouldn't spend too much. Get a good all rounded guitar (like a strat/superstrat or LP shape) with a small amp from reputable bands at a decent price (most starter packs will be under 600 bucks). Sure the guitar won't be that great, but you won't really notice it until you get better and start finding its limitations. It only really has to last a year or two until you upgrade your gear when you start jamming/gigging (upgrade the amp first i reckon :p)

but from that list, i reckon a yamaha starter kit would be the way to go. The yamaha pacifica 112/012 guitars can compete with many mid range guitars (my friend has a yamaha...loved the neck, pickups are pretty good for an entry level guitar, it's got a floating bridge system which lets you experiment with whammy stuff if you want and the tuners hold tuning most of the time). The vox amp it comes with is solid, and if you need some more distortion just get a pedal for it. However if you can get the ibanez starter pack with a toneblaster amp, i'd consider that too (those toneblasters are tough as nails). Personally i don't like the epiphone entry level guitars...the fender squier entry guitars are decent, but the squier amp is terrible imho. I haven't tried a washburn or monterey yet so i can't comment on that.

By the way, RTTTYR, did you post this on fasterlouder.com.au? i recognise this post from somewhere :p
Thanks for the info on the Yamaha, but for some reason the Pacifica's just dont do it for me looks wise, and by getting the Yamaha separately it is more expensive than alot of the Ibanez, and Im not sure, but I might be able to get a store to do an Ibanez with amp for somewhere in that ball park. The only thing worrying me is that not many ppl have recommended the Ibanez's and they only give 1 yr warranty.

As for the post looking similar, your right, and for some reason I cant login to louderfaster

neafoo

HSC
ive played on a squier i got in a starter pack for 6 years. its not good ';( but if you dont have much money to spend and you want to get a guitar and amp maybe you should get a starter pack. it should give you a good feel for guitar so you can decide if you like it at least. id recommend playing a crapload of guitars for a good feel, though you might not know what is a good feel yet.

btw a '3 peice neck' is a neck built from 3 peices of wood glued together. its supposed to add stability and strength and stiffness to fight warping and snapping. its mostly used with softer woods (i.e mahogany) but with maple its not used as often. for aesthetics sometimes they change the wood in the middle ;D

RTTTYTR

HSC
neafoo said:
ive played on a squier i got in a starter pack for 6 years. its not good ';( but if you dont have much money to spend and you want to get a guitar and amp maybe you should get a starter pack. it should give you a good feel for guitar so you can decide if you like it at least. id recommend playing a crapload of guitars for a good feel, though you might not know what is a good feel yet.

btw a '3 peice neck' is a neck built from 3 peices of wood glued together. its supposed to add stability and strength and stiffness to fight warping and snapping. its mostly used with softer woods (i.e mahogany) but with maple its not used as often. for aesthetics sometimes they change the wood in the middle ;D
Yeah Im thinking maybe spend a little bit more than the cheapest (maybe spend around $330+ for guitar) So that I can later upgrade it with better parts when Im more into the guitar and alot better, maybe by putting EMG's or Duncans in it

neafoo

HSC
its cool to customise, but remember, different woods provide very different tones. some high output SD's dont work too good with basswood bodies for example. but hey i dont know that for sure, im just going from word of mouth, and alot of people talk shit =]

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
'Customising' cheap guitars isn't worth the effort mate. Unless you got a solid mahogany body from an old 70s Strat, theres no real point as there are far cheaper and nicing sounding newer guitars.

Don't think of guitars like you would electronics, you get what you pay, and adding various parts will only go so far. A guitar with a bad tone, will have a bad tone regardless of what pickup/neck you have etc.

The Ibanez RGX170 is a good guitar, but you won't get the best out of it with only a 30W amp.

RTTTYTR

HSC
Is the warranty period an important thing to take into consideration?

Cause I have found the following warranty periods:

Ibanez 1 Year
Epiphone Limited Lifetime
ESP Limited Life time warranty
Squier 1 year
Yamaha 5 year warranty
Jackson Limited Lifetime Warranty
Washburn Limited Lifetime Warranty
Monterey
Schecter Lifetime warranty
AXL 5 yrs
Greg Bennett 5 years, but 10 thru Music Direct Australia

Last edited:

neafoo

HSC
i used my squier waranty once. on the second day my amp stopped working for no given reason so my old man took it back, and they couldnt figure it out so they just gave us a new one =]

RTTTYTR

HSC
Would any of the guitars have a locking system? Also what is a locking system?

And with bridges which is the best system from the following?:

The Ibanez: SAT10 bridge, Fixed bridge, Full tune II bridge, Fat 10 bridge.
Washburn: Hardtail bridge, Flushtrem bridge, Tune-o-matic bridge,
AXL: Tune-O-Matic
Greg Bennett: Adjustable bridge, Hardtail-string through bridge

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)