belonging related text - "The Turning" by Tim Winton . Help ! (1 Viewer)

sexichirigami

HSC
I need some help identifying various aspects of belonging in the short story "the turning" - tim winton.

And I also need help finding links between it and Shakepeare's 'As You Like It'

thank you !

showy

HSC
I think 'The Turning' is a great novel and probably a good text choice. I haven't read 'As You Like It' though.

The Turning seems to focus more on the opposite of belonging, alienation. All characters experience some sort of 'turning' in their lives that may or may not lead to growth.

One major aspect of belonging is that all the stories occur in the same country town and that all characters belong to the working-class.

You could look at one character in particular, such as Vic, and how his relationships and sense of belonging develops throughout the novel as the story evolves and time elapses.

The chapter, 'The Turning' on page 133 gives an insight into belonging in a community and within a relationship. Raelene's relationship with Max can be directly contrasted to Sherry and Dans relationship. You ccan explore why Raelene feels she needs to belong with Sherry, and the strange attraction she feels towards their lives.

Boner McPharlin's Moll is a good example in showing alienation within a school community.

There's lots of evidence of belonging, its nice and easy and straight-forward. You should be able to pick something up.

Last edited:

AA duck

HSC
thats pretty harsh lol , she asked for help , not someone who would speak in such a condescending tone ==

"The Turning" , I'm sure you could talk about how religion comes into play in the text haha
also something about how belonging is something instinctive , primal sort of because she finds herself drawn to that couples house ?

a parallel of that can be drawn as the characters in AYLI are forced into the forest which is basic haha, if you get my meaning :\

sexichirigami

HSC
thank you !

nah, its not that i couldnt identify any aspects of belonging, its just that i couldnt really come up with something which i can develop...

i came up with the idea that

The need to belong can have detrimental effects on you. Being dependent, and being afraid of alienation can cause you to cling onto something which you know is bad for you.

e.g. Ralene.

But i dont know how to find techniques from the short story to support it...

showy

HSC
I think you could use Dan and Sherry's house, or the bibles inside, as a symbol of Raelene's curiosity and yearning to belong.

Particularly, the Jesus snow dome could represent how Raelene's wishes to belong in Sherry's world- clean, good looking, prim- but is held back by alienation and belonging in her own relationship. Jesus is 'trapped' within the snow dome, as she is trapped within her own life.

Also, I think the fact that Raelene thinks that Jesus is 'all man' has some significance as it shows her guilt, though you'd have to find a good way to explore this and word it without making overt sexual references to the text, i think.

showy

HSC
Dialogue: Raelene is so desperate to belong in Sherry's world she snatches up the phone asking 'Sherry?'. p.159. It shows her isolation.

I think I'll stop doing your assignment now lol, I just like this book and have it in front of me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)