Belonging - Related text + swearing... (1 Viewer)

lachlanalegend

HSC
Hey guys! :wavey: hope everyones having good holidays!
I have decided to choose a song 'Creep' by Radiohead to be a related text in my belonging...thing. But it does have a bit of 'profanity' i guess. Was just wondering if that is allowed/frowned upon? Also any suggestions for another related material or just general help would be greatly appreciated haha thanks!

SunnyScience

HSC
My first suggestion would be not to do a song, unless you are very good at music (+do it as a subject?) and a very confident you can really really really really...really pull it off and do it well.

Re: Swearing. Just remember that most of the markers are 60 year old ladies sitting in a shed marking hundreds of papers on a weekday night. I would suggest not using a quote from the song with a swear word in it, but using a song with profanity in it (and not using a quote from that song containing such) you should be okay. Nethertheless, if you need to use a quote with a swear word in it make sure it has textual integrity and strengthens your agruement (but I would generally say no.)

Hope that helped!

madharris

HSC
N/A
My first suggestion would be not to do a song, unless you are very good at music (+do it as a subject?) and a very confident you can really really really really...really pull it off and do it well.

Re: Swearing. Just remember that most of the markers are 60 year old ladies sitting in a shed marking hundreds of papers on a weekday night. I would suggest not using a quote from the song with a swear word in it, but using a song with profanity in it (and not using a quote from that song containing such) you should be okay. Nethertheless, if you need to use a quote with a swear word in it make sure it has textual integrity and strengthens your agruement (but I would generally say no.)

Hope that helped!
+1 for this, made me laugh sooo much

lachlanalegend

HSC
Thanks very much for that! After looking at the lyrics thoroughly I have decided that to use the part with swearing isn't essential in a quote. Fairly confident with being able to 'pull it off' so to speak. What's with the 'voodoo' (I guess) of using songs as related material? Just curious because my teacher also warned against using a song. But what the hell.
If anyone looking at doing "Creep" as a related text - this is brilliant. http://edublogs.riverview.nsw.edu.a...10/21/belonging-first-post-reponse-for-class/

SunnyScience

HSC
Thanks very much for that! After looking at the lyrics thoroughly I have decided that to use the part with swearing isn't essential in a quote. Fairly confident with being able to 'pull it off' so to speak. What's with the 'voodoo' (I guess) of using songs as related material? Just curious because my teacher also warned against using a song. But what the hell.
If anyone looking at doing "Creep" as a related text - this is brilliant. http://edublogs.riverview.nsw.edu.a...10/21/belonging-first-post-reponse-for-class/
It is generally frowned upon because most students do it extremely poorly. That is, it is something a standard English student who left their related text to the last minute would do. But, I still maintain, it can be done well (not sure about your song - haven't listened to it nor analysed it). I would personally suggest you ask your most senior English teacher/tutor (if applicable) what they think too.

Goodluck!

Sanical

SpiderAnderson
HSC
Well, songs nowadays just have filler words that just drag on some time until they bombard you with some heavily remixed audio-enhanced chorus that dominates around 80% of the song. Besides, most songs just have catchy choruses and no one listens to the rest.

I just had a look at your song lyrics. It's not the most in-depth song I've ever heard. Teachers will probably think you picked a short song like this the night before instead of picking a 300 page book or something.

cunliffe

HSC
N/A
We're not all 60 and there are men but we tend to share the view that songs don't have much to them-how subtle is it to have someone repeating 'I don't belong here'. There is a definite bias against popular culture amongst markers whatever someone's blog may suggest. If you are a good student looking to get a high mark, then you want to wow the marker with your analysis of a difficult and challenging text-preferably something literary, which you have synthesised with your prescribed text. If your own teacher tells you not to do a song and you say 'what the hell' then you only have yourself to blame and I'm not sure why you are looking for someone to validate this risky choice.

Bells88

HSC
I don't know about this song in particular, but I do remember hearing a marker talking about a student who used the movie "Lars and the Real Girl" (about a man and his blow-up doll) and she loved it....so the marker's are fine with something 'edgy', but I would take everyone's advice about not using quotes with profanities.

dakotah

HSC
Our school english teachers have never allowed a song as a related text (as our teachers must approve them before we use them). Only exceptional students for advanced can use them... as a secondary related text. Simply because as said before, they lack substance. Along with this, you can't just analyse the lyrics, it is a song that has a composition and instruments and the like, many students forget about this and only look at lyrics which of course is only part of it. I suppose you would also have to look at the audiences' interaction with the song as well.

I know because I wanted to use a song and was scared out of it and ended up using a documentary.

carpe_diem

HSC
Hey guys! :wavey: hope everyones having good holidays!
I have decided to choose a song 'Creep' by Radiohead to be a related text in my belonging...thing. But it does have a bit of 'profanity' i guess. Was just wondering if that is allowed/frowned upon? Also any suggestions for another related material or just general help would be greatly appreciated haha thanks!
If you really want to do a song, Boulevard of Broken Dreams by Green Day is a good ORT for belonging.

plasticities

HSC
I agree with pretty much everything that has been said so far. I used a song, but only as my secondary back up text, which I didn't end up having to use. As a primary related text, you do need a text with a lot of 'substance in it' since with English you want to pack in as many different techniques as possible and they're more likely to compose of various themes that you can use as a bridge between your related and set texts.

On a more general note with choosing related texts, in my experience I've found markers/teachers prefer more sophisticated/less mainstream texts. I remember a friend of mine wanted to use the movie 'The Lost Boys' but was warned by my teacher to try and find another one because it focused on vampires and the whole Twilight fanfare and popularity in current media might detract from the sophistication. Which is why I chose mine as 'Of Mice and Men' because it's a literary classic and I swear the teachers love it when you seem to have some kind of interest in actual English or literature.

HSC
N/A
I used a Bon Iver song for my related text & my teacher thought the analysis was great :) Although the song I used ('Wash') is pretty difficult to analyse because of all the figurative language.

SunnyScience

HSC
Please note: When doing a song you must not only analyse the lyrics but also MUST analyse the musical aspects and how this creates a sense of belonging/not belonging/thesis

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with pretty much everything that has been said so far. I used a song, but only as my secondary back up text, which I didn't end up having to use. As a primary related text, you do need a text with a lot of 'substance in it' since with English you want to pack in as many different techniques as possible and they're more likely to compose of various themes that you can use as a bridge between your related and set texts.

On a more general note with choosing related texts, in my experience I've found markers/teachers prefer more sophisticated/less mainstream texts. I remember a friend of mine wanted to use the movie 'The Lost Boys' but was warned by my teacher to try and find another one because it focused on vampires and the whole Twilight fanfare and popularity in current media might detract from the sophistication. Which is why I chose mine as 'Of Mice and Men' because it's a literary classic and I swear the teachers love it when you seem to have some kind of interest in actual English or literature.
This. Generally, if you can find a related text thats not a song, use it. But for advanced, generally the more sophisticated the text, the better. For instance: pick John Donne instead of a disney movie.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)