Belonging Quotes: (1 Viewer)

Phylo

ballin
HSC
I found a booklet on belonging and saw some quotes which i found interesting.

Discuss what each of the following quotations say about Belonging.
What ideas does it raise? What are its implications?

• We are driven by five genetic needs: survival, love and belonging, power, freedom and fun.
    -William Glasser
  • Positive feelings come from being honest about yourself and accepting your personality, and physical characteristics, warts and all and, from belonging to a family that accepts you without question.
    -Willard Scott
  • When you belong, it is based on the worst in you - racism, nationalism, hatred of strangers, exclusivism. You feel belonging to "your country" based on a contrast with "other countries," you feel belonging to "your race" in contrast to all others, you feel belonging to "your religion" in contrast to all others, etc.
    -Francois Tremblay
  • Many of us are also nourished by friends, whom we love as family. We belong not only to them but also to other loved ones, to out neighbourhood, our town, our state, our country, and our world. How can we possibly juggle our responsibilities to all to whom we belong?
    -Peggy O'Mara
I especially like the last two quotes, they reveal another dimension of belonging which is rarely discussed. How can we belong to so many different groups, some of which we are unaware of, and some we even choose to ignore.
Essentially as humans, we can never "not belong", but we can choose to not conform to what society views as 'acceptable', and retain our sense of self.

Anyway, what does everybody else think about these quotes?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
There is some truth in all of them, but there are also some points of contention. I don't agree with the first one. I think there are other factors (like self-actualisation), that need to be addressed.

Also, Belonging can never be defined as a universal concept, and it is up to the individual to place themselves in their context, and come to their own conclusions.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I had like two pages of belonging quotes. I posted some of them in an older thread. Will post link if I find it.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/818/concept-belonging/195027/belonging-quotes.html?highlight=quotes

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)