Belonging Creative Writing Ideas (1 Viewer)

derphhh

HSC
N/A
View attachment Untitled_20131126_213448.PDFView attachment Untitled_20131126_213236.PDFView attachment Untitled_20131126_213424.PDFView attachment Untitled_20131126_213448.PDFView attachment Untitled_20131126_213236.PDFView attachment Untitled_20131126_213424.PDFWe got some stimulus for a practice belonging writing task, which we may need to ultimately use again soon;

We have to use two images of shoes ( set A) and one image of roads/path (set b)

"Use the stimulus to create a short story which delves into the way we gain a sense of belonging"

I have attached the stimulus and was wondering if someone could give me ideas, or perhaps how they would respond with such stimulus.

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I think the best way to practice responding to belonging creative questions is to write a good creative and try to mould it to as many questions as you can instead of writing a new one with every question encountered, so I can't give you specific ideas on how to integrate all these things into your story-it really depends on your story, but I will just throw some suggestions for you to think about

firstly, deconstruct the question, the way we gain a sense of belonging-mind map the possibility, basically the entire rubric, i.e. through the passage of time, we gain greater sense of self-understanding with experiences-both interpersonal and intrapersonal, through physical/spiritual/imaginative journeys, we increase our understanding of the importance of connections, affiliation and associations, ways can be permanent or transitory, they can be straightforward or indirect, they can be through introspective evaluation or retrospective contemplation, they can be through interactions, they can be through communal experiences, alternate viewpoints-radical ideas, persistent, continuous development of a sense of familiarity through repetition of tasks and etc...

the shoes-consider the texture-leather, you could consider perhaps the person is an extreme vegetarian protesting against the use of any animal related materials for commercial purposes, but less obscure ideas, and much easier to adapt includes viewing shoes as a form of a person's identity, they are evidence of a person's physical experiences-i.e. mud, sand, all gives clues to a person's past, a hole in a shoe, example, could indicate hard working and humble nature, and this can relate to travel, journeys where we meet others and gain a sense of belonging through common ideas and experiences, the footprints left by the shoes supports this representative of identity, there is also shoes, by itself, may remind us of people who once existed, but may no longer-i.e. a dead person in a family, perhaps through traumatic experiences-where we lost a loved ones, families bond together and strengthen, also consider the ways in which shoe laces can be untied-tied, can indicate of age-memories of childhood, of dad, for example, and the sharing/treasuring of these memories also enable us to develop a deeper sense of belonging

the roads/path-the path image is particularly evocative, because it is at the turning point/intersection-where there are two roads-so perhaps it can be highlighted when someone has to make critical decisions about careers of future direction-through proactively deciding their future, they develop their own personality and in turn, their individuality endows them with a unique identity, the road-can be seen as journey, can be seen as collective experiences, new territories and terrain, can interpret these experiences in a physical, virtual, spiritual form, there is almost an approaching storm overhead in the first photograph-perhaps indicative it is by learning to dance in the rain-overcome obstacles and barriers, we become stronger, perhaps experiencing the power of nature we realise our own insignificance and understand the importance of preserving precious associations, the road is not straight, but curved, and the track is likely to have been made by repetitive car marks-highlight that although there may be one evident road ahead, going against expectations-i.e. exploring unknown, isolated terrain(second image)can be as useful to enhancing our self knowledge, the second image can also be interpreted as the past, history-can think about cultural affiliation-can link to the shoes-migration etc-diaspora and what not-when overcome-can all serve to strengthen and consolidate our sense of solidarity

Sorry for the long post-hope this helps as a starting point for some creative juices to be flowing:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)