Belonging Creative Writing HELP! (1 Viewer)

Ronaldinho10

HSC
Was planning a creative writing and was wondering if one of the main character can be a dog. The dog will have no talking or anything ridiculous like that but it is the owners sense of belonging to a dog that died. Could that work and is this sort of belonging covered in the rubric?
Thanks

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Was planning a creative writing and was wondering if one of the main character can be a dog. The dog will have no talking or anything ridiculous like that but it is the owners sense of belonging to a dog that died. Could that work and is this sort of belonging covered in the rubric?
Thanks
I advise you to avoid stuff about death. Markers don't like reading this stuff.

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
Thanks
Totally read that thinking it was going to be written from the dog's point of view :haha:

I would avoid any creative writing piece based on Belonging to a specific character who dies or changes or moves away or anything similar where that specific connection to one single character is attenuated. The Belonging rubric is much more complex than the exploration you are talking about (which is kind of like a highly generalised version that Belonging simply = people being together), so it looks very cliché for you to do that regardless of the fact that the character is a dog.

My honest advice is for you to try to include a social belonging, cultural belonging, and something about identity in your Belonging piece and avoid it being specific to two characters' relationships with each other.

Ronaldinho10

HSC
I advise you to avoid stuff about death. Markers don't like reading this stuff.
okay sweet good to know!

Totally read that thinking it was going to be written from the dog's point of view :haha:

I would avoid any creative writing piece based on Belonging to a specific character who dies or changes or moves away or anything similar where that specific connection to one single character is attenuated. The Belonging rubric is much more complex than the exploration you are talking about (which is kind of like a highly generalised version that Belonging simply = people being together), so it looks very cliché for you to do that regardless of the fact that the character is a dog.

My honest advice is for you to try to include a social belonging, cultural belonging, and something about identity in your Belonging piece and avoid it being specific to two characters' relationships with each other.
The story is a little more complicated than a simple dog and owner relationship. I probably didn't give enough information on the plot or whatever. The opening is a description of a girls disconnection towards a new love/dog (the dog is not known to be a dog til later on as it is described with mostly human characteristics). The story then starts being told of a day the dog died or whatever descriptive forest (scene).
since death doesn't seem appropriate maybe missing? but even then i don't mind changing the story completely as this is my first draft of a story yet haha (exams tomorrow :frown2:) yeah then after all that drama it pretty much tells the reader that it is a dog and she finds a new one. The first paragraph is then almost repeated (the disconnection to the new dog).
Rough idea, quite generalised i guess.
Any ideas or suggestions to a new theme. i was thinking a juvenile girl in prison or something? not belonging blah blah. i'm not sure. Thanks for your great help btw!

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
With creatives, extract things from your own experience because you can creative a more realistic and emotive story, that can expressively convey your concept. Unless you are a dog (unlikely), I would recommend against it, because you won't have that emotional depth or integrity you get from writing from an experience.

Also look at exploring more than one aspect of belonging, because you want to show markers what you know through a more creative and lyrical way than essay writing.

edit: omg i thought you were writing from a perspective of a dog too LOL, but unless you can recreate that emotional loss in a non-cliche and somewhat demeaning way, find a new idea.

Ronaldinho10

HSC
With creatives, extract things from your own experience because you can creative a more realistic and emotive story, that can expressively convey your concept. Unless you are a dog (unlikely), I would recommend against it, because you won't have that emotional depth or integrity you get from writing from an experience.

Also look at exploring more than one aspect of belonging, because you want to show markers what you know through a more creative and lyrical way than essay writing.

edit: omg i thought you were writing from a perspective of a dog too LOL, but unless you can recreate that emotional loss in a non-cliche and somewhat demeaning way, find a new idea.
hahaha yeah bit confusing sorry guys. I am deadset out of any original ideas, i have to been told to stay right out of the way of generic and cliched stories so i am a bit stuck :/

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
hahaha yeah bit confusing sorry guys. I am deadset out of any original ideas, i have to been told to stay right out of the way of generic and cliched stories so i am a bit stuck :/
if you write a story really well, people won't know it's a cliche/generic

Ronaldinho10

HSC
if you write a story really well, people won't know it's a cliche/generic
Alright great advice. I'll take it on board!
btw: not sarcasm haha sorry i read over it again and i felt it may come off like that.

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Almost any story relates to belonging remotely in some way, as to how you can consciously integrate how many aspects of the belonging rubric is up to you, but it must be carefully planned before hand, and your creative story has a lot of potential, but just remember, unless you know owners whose dog have died, unless you have owned a dog before, unless you have researched a lot of stories of owners' sense of loss and grief when a dog died, unless you develop the character of the dog and link it to a back story, i.e. perhaps the dog represents another person or was owned by another person whom the family loss, unless you are truly engaged and passionate about talking about dogs, can include certain research or knowledge elements such as walking traits, certain behavioural characteristics-be specific of the type of dog as well, make sure you can write it realistically and your story will be brilliant as long as you are passionate about it-remember it is not about dramatic plots, but it is about subtle descriptions and sustained examinations of various facets of belonging... hope this helps:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)