Beginnging of Year 12 (1 Viewer)

Frantelle_08

HSC
Ok,, Term 1 of year 12 has finished for me now..

but... I didn't get good results for my assessments this term.

Does this mean I've ruined my chance of ever getting a good ATAR result..
[ >96.00 ]

I practically failed my first English assessment worth 15%
Mathematics I got 60% and the assessment worth 10%
Mathematics Ext 1 87.5% and the assessment worth 10%

I'm really freaking out because of english...

am I doomed. .. plsss help me out.!

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
You still can get a very good result in the end (as in ATAR), but to do so, you need to work hard to improve your skills and knowledge in this holiday.
This holiday is quite long so you'll have plenty of time to both procrastinate and do work. Whichever you choose to do depends on your determination to succeed in your HSC, but this is the best chance you have to do any of those two.
I myself started studying hard in this holiday in Year 12 and the rest of year became easier.
Good to study for half yearly now.

And one 10-15% worth assessments don't mean much. Your assessment weighing will increase from now on. If you study now and kill them, you can even get 1st rank or near that, of course depending on situations.
As you said, it is the beginning of Year 12.

Last edited:

Frantelle_08

HSC
You still can get a very good result in the end (as in ATAR), but to do so, you need to work hard to improve your skills and knowledge in this holiday.
This holiday is quite long so you'll have plenty of time to both procrastinate and do work. Whichever you choose to do depends on your determination to succeed in your HSC, but this is the best chance you have to do any of those two.
I myself started studying hard in this holiday in Year 12 and the rest of year became easier.
Good to study for half yearly now.

And one 10-15% worth assessments don't mean much. Your assessment weighing will increase from now on. If you study now and kill them, you can even get 1st rank or near that, of course depending on situations.

oh my gosh thanks.. .

words of wisdom totally helping me out right now.

I had the worst term one,, cause I keep on thinking I failed my HSC... obviously not .....right?
Ok,, overall,, I should go hard this holidays cause it's the only big break I have right.. [but I really need to get that through my big head].. --"

thanks anyway!!!!!

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
No worries and yea, it's just the beginning as your title for this thread says. No one (except those who didn't do assessment tasks at all) has failed yet.

Daisuke

HSC

[ >96.00 ]

As Year 12 has just begun, to answer your question, no you have not ruined your chances of getting a good ATAR. As study-freak pointed out, you have the summer holidays coming up which are relatively long, which you should be utilise efficiently. Even though you've got some bad results for your assessments this term you still have more assessments to improve. What's in the past is in the past. Now you have to focus on your upcoming assessments. Use this experience to better yourself.

ice-eternity

HSC
Hey!

The above comments are totally true, just because u've stuffed up one set of exams doesn't mean anything for the rest of the year. All you have to do now over the holidays is look at the assessments that you weren't happy with and see where you went wrong.
Especially for english, i don't mean just go oh ok so i need to do this and this, but actually go back and change it and make it better and get your teacher to check it for you and make sure you take in their comments and critiques, and the go back and fix it again etc. etc. until you understand what you need to do.

Believe me english isn't as complicated as it may seem, once you understand what teachers are actually looking for in an essay and have practiced a few times, it will get easier and you will get better marks once you understand what they're looking for. If you want i can read you assessment for you and mabye give you some pointers for how to fix it? You can email it to me at gsilver11@hotmail.com if you want, i really have nothing else to do now that my hsc's over lol, and i also offer tutoring if your interested depending on where you live, but you can just email me with ur assessment and i can just help you out with that.

As for maths, have you thought about getting a tutor? But ive noticed that maths tutoring is only helpful if your actually willing to put in the time and the effort into your tutoring sessions, becos i know a lot of ppl who went to maths tutoring but it didnt really help them becos they didnt put in the effort, so its up to you if you really want good marks in maths, it takes hard work.

But don't stress out! Just make sure you devote these holidays to actually understanding what it is each subject is actually looking for, because over the year you'll find that teachers of specific subjects look for specific things, so if you can figure out what it is they want, you'll have a MUCH easier time with your assessments. I highly reccommend talking to ur teachers about the structures that they are actually looking for, it will help alot i promise.

Good Luck!!

jet

Banned
HSC
It's about ranks, not marks. You really only need to be doing as much as to beat everybody else to do well in the end. The only marks which count are the marks in your external exams.

But at my school, that pretty much meant getting full marks in English anyway.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
It's about ranks, not marks. You really only need to be doing as much as to beat everybody else to do well in the end. The only marks which count are the marks in your external exams.

Hey, nice to see you post again.

It's very much true. Get your ranks high and tight amongst the others... then just smash the external exams like there's no tomorrow.

jet

Banned
HSC
Lol, I've still been posting.

Also, make sure that you stay ABOVE the average mark in a course. Can't stress this enough.

jellybelly59

HSC
How are your ranks now anyway and how far seperated are you from the people in front of you? As optimistic as the previous posters here are, it really depends on what type of school you go to: an extremely competitive one or one that is slack on the academic side(and in saying that i make no reference to school rankings). If the marks are generally very tight in your grade what's to say that you won't have widened the gap to where it's beyond you being able to push yourself up the ranks again? On the other hand if the marks in your grade are well spread out means you have an opportunity to climb up the ranks again. You are aiming for a 96 right? That's a pretty competitive atar mark - every mark counts.

Kamal15

HSC

By no means are you doomed. Look at it this way i came 3rd in year 11 adv english and in the first yr12 assesment in tearm 4 i essentially failed. My rank dropped heaps to like 70-80 out of 130

But just stick at it. I didnt get tutoring but if you need it try it. Use your teacher more effectively. I ended up getting 100% in half yearly and moving to 8th by the half yearly. By the trial I was once again at 4.

Moral of the story: your not doomed, stick at it and the perseverance will pay off. It does sound like a cliche but hey it seemed to work alrite for me:drink:

Freakstyler09

HSC

[ >96.00 ]

FAR I hate threads like this, failing ur first round of assessments doesn't matter at all, as long as u do extremely good in ur other more important weighted assessments. So that being said, find out where u went wrong and do ur best! BTW I would have asked the very same question like this last year hahahaha, so dw.

HSC
Of course not, just practice a-bit more to avoid mistakes like these for the next assessments. Atm you're fine :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
*nods*

How are your ranks now anyway and how far seperated are you from the people in front of you? As optimistic as the previous posters here are, it really depends on what type of school you go to: an extremely competitive one or one that is slack on the academic side(and in saying that i make no reference to school rankings). If the marks are generally very tight in your grade what's to say that you won't have widened the gap to where it's beyond you being able to push yourself up the ranks again? On the other hand if the marks in your grade are well spread out means you have an opportunity to climb up the ranks again. You are aiming for a 96 right? That's a pretty competitive atar mark - every mark counts.
+1

It might seem impossible if your rank is low and the mark gaps are low, but just try your best and with a bit of luck (perhaps other people will stuff up in other tests) you might just get it. Either way, just try your best and what happens will happen - at least you'll be satisfied in the end :)

Frantelle_08

HSC
Thanks guys..

Only if it was as easy as saying I'll do better next time T.T"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)