Been wondering... (1 Viewer)

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
Is it illegal to purchase/sell a OEM software? It follows that: is it an infringement to the EULA if you install such software? Thanks in advance :)

sunny

meh.
HSC
OEM software tends to be only avaliable to new systems. This varies between software to software.

For example, it is illegal to install OEM versions of Windows other than a new PC (you might buy parts to a new PC, and you might not get the OEM version). Other software like Nero come OEM purely for burners.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
:) Thank you sunny.. but it's still werid because OEM Windows can be bought in computer shops..

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yeh....they're not supposed to sell it to you :D

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by sunny
Yeh....they're not supposed to sell it to you :D
rofl yeah... like i say computer shops are shifty man.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
?
Originally posted by Winston
rofl yeah... like i say computer shops are shifty man.
I say they are brave :p

-------------

:confused: meee want to get WinXP Pro because mee need that for ASP.NET.. there's a deal I saw in PC World the other day:

WinXP Pro - $465 + a 40GB hardrive @ 7200rpm for free

:D very attractive

OEM is about ~$260

:confused:

---------------

Microsoft isn't that evil is it? I used to think it's a scabbie kababie.. now I think it's a good company.. any comments on this

sunny

meh.
HSC
If you can wait till uni starts, you can get WinXP Pro for free (if you're doing a COMP subject).

sunny

meh.
HSC
:p They don't literally give these things out. Theres a restricted area on CSE for CSE students to download almost all MS development software and OSs for free. They will send you a CD key if you request for one. Any requests for CD keys are logged against the account that asked for it.

They take this sort of thing very very seriously.

^___^
HSC
:p They don't literally give these things out. Theres a restricted area on CSE for CSE students to download almost all MS development software and OSs for free. They will send you a CD key if you request for one. Any requests for CD keys are logged against the account that asked for it.

They take this sort of thing very very seriously.

i'm sure a person like u can deal if it easily

*winks at sunny*

J0n

N/A
HSC
:p They don't literally give these things out. Theres a restricted area on CSE for CSE students to download almost all MS development software and OSs for free.
Really? What other software do you get free??

sunny

meh.
HSC
All the OSs from 98 through to XP. Most versions of Visual Studio, alot of SDKs, SQL servers, Exchange servers, Project, Visio....alot of other stuff I haven't looked at. They're in every language avaliable as well.

Some unis are part of MSDN Academic Alliance, basically the uni pays MS a load of money a year, and we get access to a selection of their software for education purposes.

Listed for Sydney, Australia:
School Department City Country
Australian Catholic University NORTH SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
KvB Institute of Technology NORTH SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
IIBIT SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Meadowbank TAFE Sydney AUSTRALIA
MIT SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
St Andrews Cathedral School SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Sterling College 770 George Street SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
The University of New South Wales Kensington Campus SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
University of Sydney Madsen Building, F09 SYDNEY AUSTRALIA
Electrical Engineering Maze Crescent J03 THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY AUSTRALIA

Winston

HSC
OMG OMG does that mean comp sci students at USYD get free software? :D... w00t!

sunny

meh.
HSC
Yeh....so I have no idea why someone told me there was a "copy" of .net on the usyd network for everyone to download.

But check with madsen, they probably have their own rules on who can/can't download.

J0n

N/A
HSC
All the OSs from 98 through to XP. Most versions of Visual Studio, alot of SDKs, SQL servers, Exchange servers, Project, Visio....alot of other stuff I haven't looked at. They're in every language avaliable as well.
Wow! That's heaps cool :D - For Windows XP, do you only get to use one copy, or can you get a few??

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by J0n
Wow! That's heaps cool :D - For Windows XP, do you only get to use one copy, or can you get a few??
It should be only one copy, that's how MSDN licencing terms go as well... unless you own a MSDN Universal pass i think, which companies own to purchase large VLK's but for academic software it should be only once licence per student, otherwise students can go around selling copies of XP.

sunny

meh.
HSC
You can download as many as you like. But products requiring activation will need keys from your department. There doesn't seem to be any strict rules on how many one student can get, though I would image its up to the discretion of the department, since they are given a block of cd keys to give out. Products that don't require activation have a cd key accessible to students.

It is up to the department to make sure the rules aren't broken.

nova

HSC
If you're going to purchase MS software, why don't you buy the academic version?

WinXP pro academic is around $180RRP afaik

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
If you can wait till uni starts, you can get WinXP Pro for free (if you're doing a COMP subject).
No.. I can't.. I mean, I can wait but I can't get it :( I was going to do computing but it clashes with my physics and chemistry timetable like they had their bone mixed when they were born.. Couldn't do it...

Originally posted by nova
If you're going to purchase MS software, why don't you buy the academic version?

WinXP pro academic is around $180RRP afaik
Apparently all full installation version of any Windows OS do not come in Academic Price.. Otherwise I would have bought it ages ago :( (or is it that I can't find it? I even checked the MS website..)

--------------

Btw, do we have lotsa programmers here?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)