HSC
N/A
how would one do this?

im kinda interested in becoming a japanese lecturer at uni

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i think you need to do your B, and honours and all that crap...and prob maybe teaching...im not totally sure, but i imagin it would be harder than being a HS japanese teacher

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha you need at LEAST Masters in your area (for assosciate professorship or above). You don't need anything in education, but you do need to convince the uni to hire you. Sometimes they'll take you on as an assosciate lectcturer if you do really well in Honours (like uni medal material). Anyway focus on getting your Bachelors first! :p

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it goes something like
Research Assistant
Associate Lecturer
Lecturer
Senior Lecturer
Associate Professor
Professor

so theres a long way to the top
professors usually have PhD's and have published dozens and dozens of papers in academic journals

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah don'y u need a PhD, and then depending on the subject, be doing research and still working in the area. it's not like teaching is their job, their main area and interest is their research, teaching is what they do on the side.(i'm not sure about languages though)

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
yeah for scicne anyway it goes like this phd, some form of post doc, then they have to invite you to become a fellow of the uni, then you get ur professorship, but you loose the title if you leave within 10 years, if you make 10 years ur a professor for life.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Employment in the academic world depends on your standing in the field, we're often reminded by our lecturers that your rank in the uni is directly proportional to how many papers you've published.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by cheesegrater
yeah for scicne anyway it goes like this phd, some form of post doc, then they have to invite you to become a fellow of the uni, then you get ur professorship, but you loose the title if you leave within 10 years, if you make 10 years ur a professor for life.
so how do we get from uni to that level??
like its our bachelor..then what...like, what are all the steps?
(not that i wanna be one, just curious)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
so i should be going for a BABEd aye?
then Honours.. then Masters.. then PhD?

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
most ppl that do phd havent done masters. masters usually means being taught stuff,while phd is research
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
after batchelor (mostly likely with class one honours) you start a phd. "simple" as that.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hipsta_jess
Some from of post grad, ie masters or PhD, then just keep doing research papers etc.

santaslayer

HSC
is it good pay?.......i mean i wouldnt wanna be working my ass off to the top level without getting compensated in monetary terms !.....LoLz

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Originally posted by cheesegrater
most ppl that do phd havent done masters. masters usually means being taught stuff,while phd is research

after batchelor (mostly likely with class one honours) you start a phd. "simple" as that.
err...u can't jump straight to PhD from Honours unless u get First Class Honours and are invited by the Faculty because of your talent
There are two types of Masters degrees - Masters by coursework and Masters by research.
By completing a research masters, you can then apply for a PhD
a research masters is usually 2 years, and a PhD is anywhere from 3 to 5 years 'usually' (thats how long the uni is willing to continue funding you)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
yeh how much do the lecturers get?!

cause most of them came from high end jobs and come back to study and teach!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
one of the bio guys at my uni (associate professor) reckons they dont get all that much...but he may have just been shit stiring.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
hey, so how would people in like english or something get to be a professor? presumably theres no research to do, like in science...?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
that's what i am wondering as well, what about languages, media etc.?

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
The qualifications reqauired for a professorship vary from field to field. In Science, for example, its:

Get a Bachelor's, with a sufficiently good set of results to be invited to do honours.

In honours, you really should get a first class result.

If you do, you may be allowed to enrol in a PhD - if not, enroll in a Masters by research. You don't actually do the Masters, you do the first year as if it were a PhD (there isn't alot of difference in terms of content in Masters by research vs. PhD). If you do well, you can upgrade from Masters to PhD.

During PhD you will get to know the literature in your field, and also the important international people. Try to get a Post Doc position with one them (your supervisor will help with references, and suggestions, etc - if they think your worthy). Remember, the more prestiguos the place you Post Doc, the better are your chances of becoming an academic (and the worse you'll be paid during Post Doc). You generally do two Post Docs.

Now, try to get a job as a Lecturer (which is a Level B academic). At USyd, if you have no teaching qualifications, you will be required to do a GradCertEd in higher education once you start - I'm not sure how wide spread this requirement is.

Promotion up the ranks to:

Level C - Senior Lecturer
Level D - Associate Professor or Reader
Level E - Professor

is based on quality of publications, number of publications, graduate supervision and undergraduate teaching (this last one doesn't get nearly enough weight, IMO).

In some other fields, you can get to a junior academic position (Level A - Assocaite Lecturer or Level B) without a PhD - it depends on the field.

Originally posted by santaslayer
is it good pay?.......i mean i wouldnt wanna be working my ass off to the top level without getting compensated in monetary terms !.....LoLz
Originally posted by jase-REX
They get a lot :p.
I disagree. Certainly a Level E is on considerably more than $100k, and a Level B is mid $50's to low $60's (I think), plus they have very generous Super (usually 17 % employer contribution). However, this isn't well paid by international standards, they are extremely hard working, and if they worked in industry, they would be paid much much more. The equivalent positions in business are also much higher paid - think about it, they have at least 7 years of Uni trainig, plus 2 years Post Doc, just to be eligible to be considered for employment.

santaslayer

HSC
wow ......thanks CM_Tutor.....thats a lotta useful info u just gave us...thanks again!.......btw, how did u know so much?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)