BE (Software Engineering) (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by kouri
heh..
BUT YEH back to soft eng, for our gened courses, we can basically pick anything we want besides computing or sometihng right?
Yes, you can pick any non-engineering/science gen ed (course code looks like GENX0000) for all 12 gen ed units, or you can do a non-science/non-engineering "real" course for 6 units, and gen eds for the other 6. It's up to you ...

aditya

HSC
I have been severely discouraged by this thread on doing software engineering....

Do u have to be a hardcore nerd to go good in this career? i.e course? cuz I like computers and stuff, but I've had NO exposure to software lagnuages or wateava...

wat are the career prospects like? can u asipre to managerial positions with ease?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
I had no exposure prior to uni either. It's really not a problem.

SENG is geared towards managment, more so than the other computing degrees.

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
you will have nerds in every course, but most people aren't super freaks who can program doom or something, most people haven't had much if any experience with programming before, they start from the basics anyway for everything pretty much, including programming (comp 1A ..... haskell .... *shudderz*)

it's not so bad

theone123

blue essence
HSC
McLake said:
I had no exposure prior to uni either. It's really not a problem.

SENG is geared towards managment, more so than the other computing degrees.
from what i heard from the lecture, SENG is more english are computerish, and COMP SCI is more like mathish and 50% is like maths courses

sunny

meh.
HSC
theone123 said:
from what i heard from the lecture, SENG is more english are computerish
Yes because SENG is, like McLake said, towards management.

theone123 said:
and COMP SCI is more like mathish and 50% is like maths courses
All the computing degrees to similar amounts of maths in first year. I think SENG has one extra (finite maths). After that, theres as much maths as you want in comp sci - I don't have to do another MATH subject after first year.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
sunny said:
All the computing degrees to similar amounts of maths in first year. I think SENG has one extra (finite maths). After that, theres as much maths as you want in comp sci - I don't have to do another MATH subject after first year.
Semg actually has 2 extra math subjects (finite and stats).

aditya

HSC
oh yeh true, thanks for the replies much more relieved...

but im still unclear on something... with software engineering, how soon + how likely would u aspire to a managing role? could u do an mba and become General manager? i mean is that a likely career path that could be taken?

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
aditya said:
but im still unclear on something... with software engineering, how soon + how likely would u aspire to a managing role? could u do an mba and become General manager? i mean is that a likely career path that could be taken?
That is a POSSIBLE carrer path, but why do Software Engineering if you want to do pure management. There are other courses out there that are more suited to management - Usyd's Sci/Arts (can't remember name) course for instance.

aditya

HSC
because i want to be a manger with some skill lol... so i can die and say that i wasnt just a smart ass manipulator, i was a smart ass manipulator with skill....

and plus ihave an interest in IT, but i need security man... could like outline a career path for a soft eng ith salaries? from ur knowledge

like....
"graduate soft eng - $50k
2-3 yrs experience - $60k
5-7 yrs experience - $100k
7 + yrs experience - 150k+

do u rekn that could be right? note the + sign (yes yes assuming i am a good soft engineer)

by the way, how hard is software engineering...

i mean do they start from the dead set basics of programming and stuff?

and what would be ur role as a software engineer in a company? what would u be responsible for? maintenece or resaerching more innovative practices within the business?

Last edited:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Sorry for the slow response, I have a huge backlog of email.

In terms of salary it is unpredicatable atm, due to the dot.com crash, and now the IT recovery. Same for job prospects, it is unclear what the market will be like in 4 years ...

In terms of the course, yes they start from the basics, assuming nothing.

aditya

HSC
so it times were decent... and u got well in the course, as in marks, then what salary would u expect as a grdaute, and in 5 years time and then wat would say the limit is... excuse my narrow mindedness on the money issue, but doing a 4/5 yr course that is hard is no desireable task fi there arent sig rewards after it

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
its hard, soft eng is not easy. and i think the money depends on your marks, and your performance in the uni.

anyhow, if you think you're good, or smart, soft eng can always be good. especially that you can combine with commerce (whee)

Otherwise, if you've got the hunch that you're just average, then you'll have to rely on "where there's a will, there's a way" principle. good lucks

grimreaper

HSC
underthesun said:
its hard, soft eng is not easy. and i think the money depends on your marks, and your performance in the uni.

anyhow, if you think you're good, or smart, soft eng can always be good. especially that you can combine with commerce (whee)

Otherwise, if you've got the hunch that you're just average, then you'll have to rely on "where there's a will, there's a way" principle. good lucks
hmm I was thinking of combining commerce with software engineering like you said (if I dont get a co-op scholarship). However, is it possible to transfer into the double degree after the first year if we only make the software eng cut off and not the commerce one?

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
yeah, it's possible. I am doing it now.

Just hope my WAM of 85.75 will help in letting me in. I'm still to hear for updates from Ken Robinson (The SE coordinator) about transfers to be/bcom, as he said he will handle it and I shouldnt fill the UAC stuff.

in short, it should be easy to do.

grimreaper

HSC
underthesun said:
yeah, it's possible. I am doing it now.

Just hope my WAM of 85.75 will help in letting me in. I'm still to hear for updates from Ken Robinson (The SE coordinator) about transfers to be/bcom, as he said he will handle it and I shouldnt fill the UAC stuff.

in short, it should be easy to do.
Oh ok thanks for the info. But wow does a WAM of 85.75 mean you have a HD average in your uni subjects? Because if so how could they not let you into the double degree hehe

ace

is retired
HSC
grimreaper said:
Oh ok thanks for the info. But wow does a WAM of 85.75 mean you have a HD average in your uni subjects? Because if so how could they not let you into the double degree hehe
It is because transfer's are half UAI, half UNI marks. If you got a crap-house UAI, then chances further decline.

It ain't what people think, get into UNI, get all CR, D's, etc. and then transfer, there are many more criteria to take into consideration, the foremost being your actual UAI.

Cheers

enexar

HSC
N/A
i might be joining u guys next year
im hyped for SENG
hope to see u guys soon
ciao

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)