• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

BBus/Law UTS, BCom(Liberal) UNSW/USYD? Thanks (1 Viewer)

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
I have done days of research on uni courses (asking every Uni person I know of and read booklets and stuffs) and finally got down to those two, but I still couldn't decide on which one to take. Any suggestions at all is greatly appreciated. :)

BBusiness/BLaw at UTS
Pro - the LAW, easy to get to etc.
Con - UTS being less well-known and would be hard to transfer in 2nd year, can only do one major for COM (finance)​
BCommerce(Liberal Studies) UNSW or USYD
Pro - Get to do a language & Psychology, can get into UNSW or USYD (which one is better?), can do double major for COM (finance and marketing),
Con - no law =(​

I have interests in everything so I couldn't decide which one to pick. Liberal studies can fulfill my dream of doing "a bit of everything" but I am not too sure about the usefulness of this course later in employment.

Which one can get jobs easier? Thanks =)

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
I'm very unbiased when i say usyd BComm (liberal studies) :uhhuh:

I'm kind of against fobs though hmmm :p

UNSW if you want to continue drinking your pearl milk teas, going to colour ok, and driving toyota camry's.

USYD if you would like to assimilate into abc culture lolz.

UTS if you're curry :confused:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
If you want to do psychology and law, why not go to either MaqU or ANU? Or if you want to do a language, why not do international studies/law at UTS? In all honesty, if your dream is to do "a bit of everything" combine your law with arts.

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Ooo I tossed up over this one back in 04. It all comes down to how serious you are about doing law and entering law as a profession. I wanted to do everything AND also wanted to do Law but in the end, I wanted to go to Usyd so badly I let go of Bus Law.

Don't do law just cos it's law.

About the usefulness of Com Lib. Well, it's basically a Commerce degree in it's usefulness so it's very useful! It will take a year longer so keep that in your mind if you have your eye on some honours year (abit early, I know but just think about it) because the extra year will really be a burden.

I know this isn't relevant or helpful to you but if I personally had the chance to go back and make the decision again, I'd be leaning toward UTS Bus Law....

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
bobness said:
I'm very unbiased when i say usyd BComm (liberal studies) :uhhuh:

I'm kind of against fobs though hmmm :p

UNSW if you want to continue drinking your pearl milk teas, going to colour ok, and driving toyota camry's.

USYD if you would like to assimilate into abc culture lolz

UTS if you're curry :confused:
i am again fobs too :mad1:
I actually lean towards UTS just so to escape the "Asian-world" now. HAHA
and I wanna learn French

still couldnt decide but thanks for all the helps so far. =P

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
mitsui said:
i am against fobs too :mad1:
I am actually leaning towards UTS just to escape the "Asian-world" now. HAHA
and I want to learn French.

still couldn't decide but thanks for all the help so far. =P
Edited for your reading pleasure. To be frank (even though i'm bob) I took the liberty to do this because i care about your english :) I've seen way too many family friends who are fob graduate from uni with Bcomm and getting rejected all over town because they're so ^_^v la.

And of course you are much too good for that.

Anywho french that's MY language major (<3 custom status).

And btw UTS is still very asian hahaha. If you really wanted to avoid us you would head for a rural uni or maybe ANU :D

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i wanted to do com (lib) at first (i also got the same uai as you), but the people at usyd actually convinced me not to do it. they just said its a degree for people who arent sure of what they want to do. they also said that having the parenthesis at the end of your standard degree is no advantage - employers actually dont care whether or not you did extra subjects in communication and foreign languages.

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
srs?

=(

i am one of the "don't know what to do" people
thanks thou. =O

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
blackfriday said:
i wanted to do com (lib) at first (i also got the same uai as you), but the people at usyd actually convinced me not to do it. they just said its a degree for people who arent sure of what they want to do. they also said that having the parenthesis at the end of your standard degree is no advantage - employers actually dont care whether or not you did extra subjects in communication and foreign languages.
Of course if you're only going for a commerce-type position in the future, then employees won't be looking at those extra subjects such as communication and foreign languages.

However there are pros!

1) You become a more well-rounded individual and can maintain some mild relief in terms of doing subjects you enjoy at uni.

2) You can move into other fields of expertise in the future i.e. for the compulsory arts subjects in comm lib, if you do enough credit points in english you can actually major in it. This opens up opportunities for postgrad studies in the subject or even small employment positions which desire this skill in the future.

3) Some of us are still 'unsure' so i guess this is another way of keeping your options open. To be frank, i think this is more admirable than doing a commerce/law degree to open up employment opportunities in the business world. A humanities or science degree would add another dimension to your capabilities rather than slapping on another few letters in front of your employment qualifications.

4) SOME USYD people would have told you that, but it is just as likely that there are many who would recommend the degree. I've spoken to 2nd year and 3rd year usyd students who have done, are transferring to or have transferred out of the degree and all have mentioned that it is a very sought after course. The NRSL cut-off is actually higher than commerce/law at usyd because only 65 places are offered.

In saying that, don't choose it mitsui, you taking it might cause the cutoff to rise so i just miss out :(

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
lol =P

i can see where you are heading next yr
XD
dw, the uai sure to lower, cause unsw is having the same course next yr

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
bobness said:
Of course if you're only going for a commerce-type position in the future, then employees won't be looking at those extra subjects such as communication and foreign languages.

However there are pros!

1) You become a more well-rounded individual and can maintain some mild relief in terms of doing subjects you enjoy at uni.

2) You can move into other fields of expertise in the future i.e. for the compulsory arts subjects in comm lib, if you do enough credit points in english you can actually major in it. This opens up opportunities for postgrad studies in the subject or even small employment positions which desire this skill in the future.

3) Some of us are still 'unsure' so i guess this is another way of keeping your options open. To be frank, i think this is more admirable than doing a commerce/law degree to open up employment opportunities in the business world. A humanities or science degree would add another dimension to your capabilities rather than slapping on another few letters in front of your employment qualifications.

4) SOME USYD people would have told you that, but it is just as likely that there are many who would recommend the degree. I've spoken to 2nd year and 3rd year usyd students who have done, are transferring to or have transferred out of the degree and all have mentioned that it is a very sought after course. The NRSL cut-off is actually higher than commerce/law at usyd because only 65 places are offered.

In saying that, don't choose it mitsui, you taking it might cause the cutoff to rise so i just miss out :(
SOME USYD people would have told you that
are you under the impression that i took advice from students? the academic staff from the faculty of business and economics were the ones who told me what they thought of com (lib).

also, since everyone doing commerce thinks they're going to make it as a damn IB, the big boys look for com/law grads with a d average. not that kid that did two semesters of uni study in another language.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
blackfriday said:
also, since everyone doing commerce thinks they're going to make it as a damn IB, the big boys look for com/law grads with a d average. not that kid that did two semesters of uni study in another language.
I don't doubt that people look down on Com (lib) as a waste of time with little net benefit for the extra year taken but not every kid wants to become a an IB in Commerce. That sheep mentality doesn't extend to everyone so you gotta consider what each person wants before you slam the degree and its components as useless.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
okay maybe i phrased my arguments poorly and not cohesively.

if you're just worried about getting a job asap - com (lib) isnt for you.

if you have no idea what you want to do, com (lib) will help because you got an extra year and some extra units of study that will let you expand your knowledge base.

BUT that extra year wont be any form of advantage over those who have graduated with a standard degree. as a usyd academic said to me, 'it just meant that you spent an extra year at uni doing subjects you didnt need to do.'

mitsui

мιтэuι
HSC
XD

Went to a UTS/Law-graduate's place last night for a long talk.
i think might stick with UTS law, but will try my best to transfer to Usyd and Unsw. =]

phrred

HSC
an extra language mainly chinese is very important to emploers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)