Bbus/Bcomp what Major / submajor u gonna choose? (1 Viewer)

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
hey i wasnt sure what major i wanted to do , until i tried out some of the subjects, my opinion still might change, but at the moment i want to do an Accounting Major and i am not too sure yet, but probably IT Management as my submajor

there are majors available
MAJ08437 Accounting 48cp
MAJ08448 Advertising and Promotions 48cp
MAJ08439 Banking 48cp
MAJ09209 Economics 48cp
MAJ08917 Electronic Business 48cp
MAJ08440 Finance 48cp
MAJ08447 Financial Planning 48cp
MAJ08446 Human Resources Management 48cp
MAJ08442 International Business 48cp
MAJ08438 Management 48cp
MAJ08441 Marketing 48cp
MAJ08445 Sport Management 48cp
MAJ08443 Tourism

and these are the comp sub majors

SMJ02044 Mobile Computing 24cp
SMJ02045 Applications Development 24cp
SMJ02047 IT Management 24cp
SMJ02039 Computer Graphics and Animation 24cp
SMJ02040 Software Engineering 24cp
SMJ08163 Internet Business Technology

what what u guys want to do??

mysteek

HSC
I might do Finance and software engineering or application development. Dont know yet...see how it goes

S

Shuter

I'll have to see what the subjects are like next semester but probably Management.

For IT I don't even know what most of those submajors involve. Maybe Internet Business, or something with programming. Or maybe just graphics one for fun... or maybe drop IT all together.

Enlighten us jasee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beaky

You can read minds?
HSC
Soma's right- there is no carrer prosepects unless you combine it with something. SO its kinda a waste of a business major to do it cause you are restricted to a carreer in computing... But hell if you wanna do it go ahead

monzi

HSC

I'm actually completing my major this year - Human Resource Management.

I'm really happy and im enjoying it. Also i've managed to organise work experience with Sony Australia in 2nd semester. As for uni xmas break i've organised work experience with BHP Billiton in their human resource department..

It will look good on my resume.. yay :)

Amish

HSC
N/A
Accounting and Software Engineering, best of both worlds for me personally. And the fact it allows me to do all the subjects i need to do for CA is an added bonus

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
If you're into programming then you should do either Applications Development (for more software based programming) or Internet Business Technology (for a bit of a mix of software and web-based programming).

The software engineering sub-major includes some database programming, perhaps some digital multimedia stuff (if you choose those subjects), a few other subjects you can do, and a formal software engineering subject (like learning UML and Z notation). There isn't much programming in the software engineering sub-major, but if you don't mind that then thats fine.

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
ive been told by various people in various unis that management on its own is a bad choice.
my lecturer told me that if im into management consulting, i shoudl do a major or at least a minor in mgm. But its not that important, these days, arts students and marine biologists are becoming mgm consultants :)

if you want to be a manager, then you'll need heaps of experience- not just a degree in business. i met this guy who got 100/100 in his management interview (got the job!!). and he doesnt even have a degree@!!!

he says he has a bachelor of life! :)

anyways, i wouldnt mind majoring in HRM, economics or international business.

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
Every manager at my work either has a CA or an MBA or both.
It's stupid studying management because you're hardly going to get a manager's position straight out of uni.
Management would be ok if you weren't doing a combined degree and could combine it with another major but on its own it's pretty much a waste of a business major.
Besides management is so airy anyway, it's heaps easy and fairly irrelevant, accounting or finance knowledge would be far more useful to know in most managerial positions.

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
whats the best tihng to do , to make the use of both yuor major and submajor. What i mean is , if i do accoutning and programming, thats not really related and itas likely that i wont ever apply one of them in my job efforts. so whats really good that works together

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Well I'm doing accounting and programming. I see it as giving me more broader options, rather than being limited, hence doing 2 very different things.

The only IT sub-major that will work well with any of the Business majors is IT management. You can do that along with any of the business majors and I'm sure they will relate.

I agree with what most others have said here about the Management major not being too useful on its own, and that it comes from experience. You don't have to do the Management major to become a manager. You can just do a major in another field and eventually become a project manager there. Accounting has many different areas which you can manage, especially in the field of management accounting itself. You can become a manager in the auditing field, tax, and many other things you learn in accounting. I'm sure you can do the same in finance, economics, marketing, etc.

Same goes with IT. You can start off doing programming and do all the technical stuff and then eventually go into IT project management and manage the people working on the projects, including the programmers.

monzi

HSC

Yeah im majoring in HRM Mr Eazy, all businesses have a HRM department so i think it would be preety easy to find a job especially if you've done work experience which i'm doing now..

I'm transfering into Business/Law next year anyway ..should be interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)