• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Baulko, NSGH, HGHS, Girra, Ruse, Penrith preference order? (2 Viewers)

MillieG

HSC
Hi,
I recently sat the selective entry exam for Year 7 entry in 2025 and I'm feeling pretty confident about my results.
Now, I need to make a final decsision on the order of the schools and update the preference.

Getting into James Ruse seems questionable, but the rest of my list looks doable. I'm looking for recommendations on what to choose as my first preference and a safe option (probably Girra or Penrith). I've heard a lot of good things about North Sydney Girls High (NSGH) and am considering putting it at the top of my list. However, I'm aware that if I do this, it might mean excluding Baulkham Hills (Baulko) and James Ruse from my preferences as they will probably sit higher it cut-off scores.

For those who have gone through this process or have knowledge about these schools, what would you recommend? Should I put NSGH as my first preference? How does it compare to Baulko and Ruse in terms of academics and overall experience? Any advice on how to structure my preferences would be greatly appreciated!

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
There are different elements to consider when determining the order of your preferences. First, it is reasonable to assume that entry to higher-ranked selective schools such as James Ruse Agricultural High School and Baulkham Hills High School will be more competitive than to lower-ranked selective schools such as Penrith Selective High School and Girraween High School. Based on this, you should consider your chances of receiving an offer from either JRAHS or BHHS. If you strongly believe that you can receive an offer from either school, then you could place either as your first preference. However, if you believe that your chances may not be as high, then perhaps you should place another selective school as your first preference. In that regard, there is not a significant rank difference between North Sydney Girls High School and JRAHS/BHHS, although you may have a slightly better chance of receiving an offer from NSGHS.

Second, you should consider your location relative to all the schools that may be potential preferences. For example, if you live closer to NSGHS than JRAHS or BHHS, you could give priority to NSGHS as it would be a more balanced option, i.e. both high-ranked and more convenient commute, as opposed to high ranked but longer commute.

I hope this helps! 😄

MillieG

HSC
Baulko and NSGH have about the same travel time for me. Disregarding factors like confidence, if I can get into either of these, which one is the better option? The rank difference between the two is not really that important.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Baulko and NSGH have about the same travel time for me. Disregarding factors like confidence, if I can get into either of these, which one is the better option? The rank difference between the two is not really that important.
I would be inclined to prioritise BHHS simply due to its more consistent ranking among the top schools in the last few years. However, if we were to disregard school rank, I would recommend looking into the facilities and teaching quality provided at each school (hopefully students/graduates of both schools can share their thoughts here). While tutoring is common among students from both schools, it would still be a good idea to opt for the school that has better facilities and/or teaching quality.

Additionally, I personally prefer a co-educational school compared to a single-sex school. If this is something of importance to you, it could help you decide the school that you should attend. For example, if you are used to/comfortable with a single-sex environment, then NSGHS would be the better option. Conversely, if you are used to/comfortable with a co-educational environment, then BHHS would be the better option.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)