Battery Assignment (1 Viewer)

erin_tonkin

HSC
Is anyone else doing the assignment on analysing the batteries thing. And looking at the differences between two batteries. Im doing fuel and dry cells. Just wondering how much detail ppl went into and what kinda stuff they found.
If you need info I will help.

Ioup

HSC
Im going to compare and contrast dry cells to Vanadium Redox cells.
I tried to select two cells that were quite different to each other to make it easier.
Silly question though>
Is the dry cell only the Leclanche or does it also include Alkaline cells?

erin_tonkin

HSC
i just chose Leclanche because Alkaline is just a whole nother kettle of fish. How many words approx. are you doing? We werent given a limit

xvelidras

HSC
Ioup said:
Im going to compare and contrast dry cells to Vanadium Redox cells.
I tried to select two cells that were quite different to each other to make it easier.
You might want to confirm with your teacher on that one, whether it will or will not be a disadvantage, since you cant really interrelate those two cells.

We were specifically told to do something that could relate with one another in terms of uses. e.g. Lead-Acid + Vanadium, Dry + Lithium/Button cell.

I'm going to throw my support for Lead-Acid+Vanadium Redox, considering the "Australian Scientists" Dot point. your responses to the vanadium redox can be directly utilised in the discussion of Maria Skyllas-Kazacos

Ioup

HSC
Okay thanks for the tip.
I might research Lead Acid and Vanadium then.

Dragie

HSC
Hey is an electrolytic cell the same thing as a galvanic cell? Also, does the oxidation reaction always occur at the anode (for any type of cell)?

P

pLuvia

Nope. Electrolytic cell is a cell where electrolysis occurs. This is where the cathode and anode is negative and postive respectively, where as in a galvanic cell it is the oppostie. To answer your question yes

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Dragie said:
Hey is an electrolytic cell the same thing as a galvanic cell?
Just something else: electrolytic cells are no longer in the syllabus, so you don't need to know anything about them. :)

I_F

richz

insert-username said:
Just something else: electrolytic cells are no longer in the syllabus, so you don't need to know anything about them. :)

I_F
yes u do need to know it IF u r doing industrial chem :p

Electrolytic cell is where electricity is required to bring about the chemical reaction. Anode-Red Cathode-Oxi

Galvanic is where a chemical reaction brings about electricity. Anode-Oxi, Cathode-Red

the reactions are swapped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
xrtzx said:
yes u do need to know it IF u r doing industrial chem :p

Electrolytic cell is where electricity is required to bring about the chemical reaction. Anode-Oxi, Cathode-Red

Galvanic is where a chemical reaction brings about electricity Anode-Red Cathode-Oxi

the reactions are swapped.
Shouldn't those be the other way around? ie an ox and red cat in galvanic cells?

richz

Riviet said:
Shouldn't those be the other way around? ie an ox and red cat in galvanic cells?
yes u r correct, my mind must have been sumwhere else when i was typing :p

thnx for pting that out :D

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
if you have a look at the HSC Chemistry Syallbus, there is a list of guidelines to make ur comparisons, namely environmental impact, cost-efficiency, etc...also good to consider social + economic impact as well. also good to mention how it might affect the future as well. E.g. better technologies developed into fuel cells COULD encourage more space exploration, etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)