Bass songs (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey guys if there are any guys who played bass for their HSC, what are some good pieces you would recommend to get the best marks possible? I have been considering doin "classical thump" by victor wooten, ive only just started yr 12 now and i think its coming along pretty good, in my prelims i did "more love" and "you can't hold no groove" both by victor wooten and got 20/20 and 19/20 respectively. Any suggestions for songs preferrably wth sheet music available somewhere?

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
holy crap...
you won't have any trouble getting those 20s and 19s if you can play victor wooten in year 11 :)
ummm i do believe he has a collection of sheet music called "best of victor wooten", it's available online if you can't find it at your music shop. it's got amazing grace, norwegian wood (which i did as my hsc bass piece), stomping grounds, classical thump and a whole lotta other songs. it's really good!
go buy it now!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
oh yeah, you can also get the transcription for Latin Groove for free from a website i can't remember... that's a good song :D i did it for my hsc as well, it's so fun to do especially if you have alot of percussion behind you (ie friends) at your hsc exam :)

HSC
I played bass for all four of my HSC performances just recently, don't know what I got, obviously, but I played the same for the trials.

I played and got:

*'Spain' by Chick Corea and got 19/20 - with a drummer and pianist
*'Rhythm-a-ning' by Thelonius Monk - 18/20 - Same, had drummer and pianist
*'Blackbird' by The Beatles - 18/20 - I played the melody of the guitar and had a singer, sounded ace. Beautiful harmonies.
*'Steal My Kisses' - Ben Harper - 17/20 - had pianist playing what the guitar normally plays and drums. I didn't go as well cos it was quite repetitive, but the solo was my time to shine.

My advice is to get people who KNOW their stuff. Professional musos, luckily I had my dad whose a prof. jazz drummer and one of his muso mates, cos if you fuck up, they can cover it.

Jazz is always good. With those two first songs I went really well (they're jazz btw). You can muck around with jazz, so it suits you and you get really comfortable with them - you do really well with jazz pieces. And it really shows your technical skills, which is what they're looking for. It also helps you take control of the performance, and that's another thing they want. It allows for communication between the ensemble.

And also, with my marks, I had a terrible day the day of the trial, my marks reflect that. My teachers were listening on the other side of the door during my HSC performance and said they were sure of all 19s and 20s.

I can send you sheet music of the first three pieces I mentioned if you want.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
for steal my kisses, did you just play the bass line of the song and did a solo or did you play the melody line?

dammit, i wish your dad was my dad lol.

and love your signature btw.

HSC
I just played what was on the Ben Harper recording, and mucked around with the solo a little bit and played the chorus after that. It was the last song I played so I was getting heaps into it and it sounded so good with the piano instead of guitar.

:)

HSC
Hey you Guys sound like awesome bassists.

Yeh im in the same boat as underthebridge and yeh havent thought bout wat pieces im gunn aplay on bass yet although im prob lookin at jazz or virtuoso style pieces to get the best marks that i possibly can.

I'll happily recieve the sheet music for those pieces u did noel they look like awesome pieces.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
hey, there's enough of us to form a "BASS GUITARISTS UNITE" thread! i was jealous of trumpetgeek's trumpeters unite thread :)

ahhh good luck underthebridge and flawlessbassist (go the name!)
are you girls or is it just me?

HSC
I am 100% Bloke
My 4 string friends(unless u have a 5 string in that case we will have to make an exception) we shall unite together as one!!!

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
YAY!

i don't DO 5 strings, that's just being greedy and it defies the whole purpose of me taking up bass - i couldn't handle 6 strings :D

HSC
hey thanx guys, ill have a listen to latin groove, yeh i already have the transcription book he has out, its hell helpful. And yeh im a guybut its cool that there are girl bass players out there and take it seriously. I play 4 string too btw, most five string players ive seen just over use the fifth string, and it starts sounding kinda corny.

ps. if u could send some of those transcriptions for the songs u did (blackbird etc.) it would be much appreciated.

Crikket

Exactly Member
HSC
yay!
i couldn't find any recordings of latin groove, except for on one of his instructional videos, i think it was super solo techniques. god bless that instructional video!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)