banks (1 Viewer)

doe

HSC
N/A
which bank are you guys with and what do you think of them?

i am with westpac but they are a bit :meh: i tried to get a credit card but they wouldnt give me one cause im self employed, even though i had a crapload of cash in my account. i think i am going to check out the commonwealth, cause theres a branch just near me. most of the stuff i do is online anyway. westpac bank staff piss me off, for what is basically a retailling job they really have their heads up the arses.

i am looking for an everyday bank. i was with anz previously but they closed all their branches and have very few atms.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
im with horizon credit union and teachers credit union and they both suck

doe

HSC
N/A
what in particular? how do credit unions handle atm stuff if they dont have any atms? do you have to pay each time?

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
doe said:
what in particular? how do credit unions handle atm stuff if they dont have any atms? do you have to pay each time?
i get 8 free transactions a month with each... horizon does have atms
my teachers cred is a visa card

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
I'm with the National Bank and its the best bank in the world

If youre a teritary Student, we have a new bank account which gives you an International Student Card as part of its package.
Otherwise Flat Fee accounts are good, and its worthwhile applying for any number of National Credit cards because theyre all quite competitive. the newest one we have out is the Visa Mini.

If youve got a large balance in your account, T.D rates are among the highest, and we just opened a new account called the 'Reward Saver' - No minimum balance, 4% bonus interest and no account keeping fees if you make at least one monthly deposit and no more than one monthly withdrawl. I have one of these as a savings account and then a normal flat fee account. Other stuff you could look at could be the Cash Management Account and an A1 Common Fund to earn some interest.

Theres also heaps of ATMS, many many branches and stuff if you run into trouble. I also love Internet Banking, which is so convenient, and its very easy to use.

More information can be found at www.national.com.au

doe

HSC
N/A
i always thought credit unions were ok, ages ago i was in the defense force, i shouldve joined defcredit cause they're meant to be really good. all the branches are on military bases though

id like to get one of those visa debit cards, not many banks have them. maybe hsbc or st george, hmmm.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
doe said:
i always thought credit unions were ok, ages ago i was in the defense force, i shouldve joined defcredit cause they're meant to be really good. all the branches are on military bases though

id like to get one of those visa debit cards, not many banks have them. maybe hsbc or st george, hmmm.
thats what i have. a visa debit... so awesome
i can buy stuff on the net

doe

HSC
N/A
i lived in london for a year, brittish banks are awesome. lots of branches, lots of atms, no account keeping fees (stuff like bank cheques had fees but thats fair enough), and if you withdraw from another banks atm they have to display how much they will charge you. typically though the only atms that would were the ones on motorway service station where you had no option. basically it meant you could use any atm, as much as you want, with no penalties.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
JoyDivision said:
I'm with the National Bank and its the best bank in the world

If youre a teritary Student, we have a new bank account which gives you an International Student Card as part of its package.
Otherwise Flat Fee accounts are good, and its worthwhile applying for any number of National Credit cards because theyre all quite competitive. the newest one we have out is the Visa Mini.

If youve got a large balance in your account, T.D rates are among the highest, and we just opened a new account called the 'Reward Saver' - No minimum balance, 4% bonus interest and no account keeping fees if you make at least one monthly deposit and no more than one monthly withdrawl. I have one of these as a savings account and then a normal flat fee account. Other stuff you could look at could be the Cash Management Account and an A1 Common Fund to earn some interest.

Theres also heaps of ATMS, many many branches and stuff if you run into trouble. I also love Internet Banking, which is so convenient, and its very easy to use.

More information can be found at www.national.com.au
Nice plug!!!!!!

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
HSBC 4.5% p.a. 5 free withdrawals a month from ANY ATM. Also use their stock trading system. No monthly fees.
Citibank for storage, 5.5% pa. No monthly fees.
Commonwealth for CC although I might switch it to a citibank or HSBC platinum one of these days. Concierge is nice. Small yearly fee.

I don't understand all these "Oh no there needs to be a branch locally" people. My closest branch is 600kms away for my savings accounts, I have never called them, I have used the online systems and they work great. I have a local commonwealth branch but really the phone CC service gives me great service without waiting in line while I sit there watching tv. Get with the times :)

Also always read the fine print, and be wary of employers of banks telling you their bank is the best or which account to go for :)

HSC
yeah, i'm with the national too .. don't really know much about it though. i was just like 'hey dad, i need a bank account', so he was like 'well we have national accounts so i'll take you to get one there'. it seems alright though.

doe

HSC
N/A
LeftrightOut said:
HSBC 4.5% p.a. 5 free withdrawals a month from ANY ATM. Also use their stock trading system. No monthly fees.
Citibank for storage, 5.5% pa. No monthly fees.
Commonwealth for CC although I might switch it to a citibank or HSBC platinum one of these days. Concierge is nice. Small yearly fee.

I don't understand all these "Oh no there needs to be a branch locally" people. My closest branch is 600kms away for my savings accounts, I have never called them, I have used the online systems and they work great. I have a local commonwealth branch but really the phone CC service gives me great service without waiting in line while I sit there watching tv. Get with the times :)

Also always read the fine print, and be wary of employers of banks telling you their bank is the best or which account to go for :)
thanks Leftrightout ... i was thinking about hsbc pretty seriously, i remember they had a lot of branches in london, so they really are a global bank. the atm thing is good, what about eftpos? i was going to open an account there with a bit of cash just for the visa debit thing. i dont want a credit card linked up to my main savings account :D

i think ill venture into the george st branch today ... i like having a branch nearby ... what if you need to bank a cheque? what if you need a bank cheque written?

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
doe said:
thanks Leftrightout ... i was thinking about hsbc pretty seriously, i remember they had a lot of branches in london, so they really are a global bank. the atm thing is good, what about eftpos? i was going to open an account there with a bit of cash just for the visa debit thing. i dont want a credit card linked up to my main savings account :D
Sorry it's 4.75% now :) I haven't checked % lately since I use HSBC for the ATM and stocks not accruing interest. Eftpos, BPAY, Giropost is free http://www.hsbc.com.au/personal/accounts/osa.html
Plus if you sign up now you get a $30 bonus ;) Only problem is need a min $2000 to start, afterwards you can drop back down
http://om.hsbc.com.au/osa/

doe said:
i think ill venture into the george st branch today ... i like having a branch nearby ... what if you need to bank a cheque? what if you need a bank cheque written?
cheques? who still uses cheques? :p If you want branch banking you can just hit giropost (any post office) for making cash or cheque deposits in person or mail the cheque away. http://www.australiapost.com.au/IXP/0,1083,CH2017%7EMO19,00.html

doe

HSC
N/A
bleh went hsbc today, the queue was too long :p

'apply online' means 'you can download the application form and mail it to us'

21st century stuff!

[edit] oh and i needed a bank cheque for my rental bond :p

Last edited:

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
I was with the commonwealth for 8 years, but they absolutely SUCKED! They have the worst staff ever, also the worst rates on overseas cheques ( i have an aunt in America, and hence this is very important to me...), the queue's are horrendous, and they are just plain rude....

so i jumped ship, closed my account with them and switched to credit union of Australia. No monthly fees, no minimum balance, you can use ur keycard anywhere, and for overseas cheques there isn't a charge, and they get cleared in 3 days (unlike comm bank which took 3 weeks and charged $14 per cheque), and they have the friendliest staff in their branches. I was very impressed. I also have a cash management account with Macquarie Bank for chares and s*** like that

Say no to the commonwealth bank!

JoyDivision

Is Big In Japan
HSC
Doe - National Bank are Agents for HSBC. If youre depositing a cheque into your HSBC account, you need a linked Account Number which you can fill out on a normal deposit form and drop into the National Branch. We accept Deposits for '08' numbered branches, or link codes. I'm sure HSBC would be able to help you out with this because they pay National a shitload of money for this facility. All the deposits get sent onto our clearing center and then forwarded to HSBC's, so it should be in your account overnight.

Also, fees for a National
Customer Bank cheque - $8 Non-Customer - $15

Not too sure on other Bank Cheque fees.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
_Bushra_ said:
Im with St. George 'Freedom' account which is sort of dodgy cus they charge me if my balance goes under 5grand, I think...I want to get an ING one but it seems so confusing and stuff...and that transferring and crap
are you a student? i assume you are, tell them you are and they'll put you on the freedom student account which is free of most charges.

yenta

veyron <3
HSC
I'm with commonwealth, because I'm a student i pay no fees at all so it's ok, however once i have to start paying fees might look somewhere else. Which banks would you guys recommend for low fees?

Also, I want to get a debit card as well, but commonwealth doesn't do Visa debitcards. Would anyone know if they do mastercard?

waterfowl

HSC
I have four accounts:

Commonwealth streamline account. I have no major issues with it, fees only about $5 a month which I find pretty decent. Lately I have been getting about $0.01 interest per month - I find this hilarious - but it's better than no interest :p

Commonwealth World Vision credit card. $30 per annum, 55 days interest free.

I also have an ING savings account and I am really happy with it. I regularly deposit into this account and enjoy the interest.

Finally an ING managed fund. At first I was very happy with this fund - I made about $13 in two months, but now I have about -$5 :(

Looking into opening a stock brokering account with either Commonwealth or HSBC, will most likely go for HSBC (much cheaper I think) and will therefore open a transaction account too; giving me a grand total of six accounts :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)