Banked Curves Question (1 Viewer)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
Has anyone ever been told that when doing banked curves, make it so that the centripetal force does not push towards the centre but instead AWAY from it?

If not, how do you logically resolve the forces?

Do you tend to prefer to resolve horizontally and vertically ALL THE TIME or use horizontally and vertically for say finding the optimum angle and then for finding friction and the normal force you resolve perpendicular and parallel to the plane?

lolokay

HSC
i haven't done these for ages, but I would think:

your forces should -add- to give the centripetal force. if you want to make it so the forces sum to zero, then you would add the negative of the centripetal force (i.e. an outwards force, which I think is then termed the centrifugal "force"?)

your direction choices sound correct.

I'll have to try a few questions though.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
If the object goes beyond the optimum speed, then it will mount further up the bank which is a bit like being pushed "away from the centre"...however, this is not due to centripetal force, it's due to the frictional force.

untouchablecuz

HSC
If the object goes beyond the optimum speed, then it will mount further up the bank which is a bit like being pushed "away from the centre"...however, this is not due to centripetal force, it's due to the frictional force.
wait, doesn't the frictional force (+ any radial components of other external forces acting on the body) "add up" to constitute the centripital force? (that is, the centripital force is not a force that exists on its own)

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
wait, doesn't the frictional force (+ any radial components of other external forces acting on the body) "add up" to constitute the centripital force? (that is, the centripital force is not a force that exists on its own)
yeah the centripetal force is a resultant and not a force.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)