Bands (1 Viewer)

Demandred

HSC
I think the HSC exam mark will not be scalled so much. Thanks to PC for posting the answers right away, I was able to find out how many marks did I lost. The result was exactly the same as the HSC exam mark.

I think the main determinant is your school rank.

helper

HSC
N/A
deeznuts said:
can anyone guess or have a stab at wat a band 5 and band 6 scores will be?
That is all it would be, a guess as the BOS don't even know yet.

can anyone also tell me what last years cutoffs were for band 5s/6's
No the BOS don't release this

Smartie87 said:
they dont change ur Exam mark!!!!!
Mandy101 said:
Smartie87 is right. You keep your raw exam mark.
No you don't. That is people tried to get them back under freedom of information. While in the past a few were revealed under this application, last year they were denied.
http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=62629

They do however, use your raw exam mark in scaling but you are never told what it is.

7th Sign said:
If you interneal assesment was 89% and your exam mark was 89% it will stay at 89% for general..
If your internal mark was 70% and your exam mark was 80% you will get 75%.
If your talking about moderated marks, then your correct, if your talking about raw marks, then it will depend on your schools exam marks.

GiantSloth said:
Ok say i got 50 for my school assessment mark and i get 74 in the hsc for this exam what mark will i end up with ?????
Another unanswerable question, as it will depend on your rank, gaps in assessment marks and the schools exam results.

Unless your talking about moderated assessment mark, and these are aligned marks you are talking about, then it would be 62.

Demandred said:
I think the main determinant is your school rank.
Scaling and aligning have nothing to do with school ranks. Only moderation of assessment marks does.

jackcass2

PC said:
Here's a tip about bands ... no secret. For General Maths, only 3-4% of the total candiature get Band 6 results each year. It's officially the toughest course in the HSC in which to get Band 6 - and also the course with the largest candidature apart from Standard English.
how about hospitality? like 0.1 % or something get band 6.
even if i get 100 in all my subjects i can still only get 99.7

trembles

general maths bands

i did my hsc over 2years so i already hav my marks back from last year. in general maths it is possible to get a band 6. your exam mark is actually never changed it is you skool mark that is. if your skool as a whole do better or worse in the hsc marks compared to your skool marks then the BOS will moderate the skools assessment marks either up or down. that is why when you recieve you marks at the end of the day it says moderated assessment mark and exam marks. so it is quiet possible to get a band 6.the general maths course is not scaled until your uai is completed. so if you r not goinf for a uai it is never scaled. therefore you cannot guage from your assessment marks n hsc mark what your uai will be as it depends how the rest of NSW's marks are. your uai is a ranks not a mark.

Smartie87

HSC
trembles said:
i did my hsc over 2years so i already hav my marks back from last year. in general maths it is possible to get a band 6. your exam mark is actually never changed it is you skool mark that is. if your skool as a whole do better or worse in the hsc marks compared to your skool marks then the BOS will moderate the skools assessment marks either up or down. that is why when you recieve you marks at the end of the day it says moderated assessment mark and exam marks. so it is quiet possible to get a band 6.the general maths course is not scaled until your uai is completed. so if you r not goinf for a uai it is never scaled. therefore you cannot guage from your assessment marks n hsc mark what your uai will be as it depends how the rest of NSW's marks are. your uai is a ranks not a mark.
thank god someone understands!!!

if the final result of the top student in the state is 95, this, for uai purposes, will get boosted upto 100, but u wont get an exam mark of 100.

look go call the board of studies cuz they will just tell u wat we've said

Smartie87

HSC
i.e, if u came 1st, you are at the 100th percentile, 2nd, 99th percentile etc. UAI is a RANK, which often is no where near reflective of your marks. My friend got a UAI of 88 last year, with 70's and a few 80's.

While marks in the 80's may be the top 10% in the state, i.e. 94th percentile etc. these exam marks never change

helper

HSC
N/A
OK Smartie, why then did LAzarous and others have to put in FOI appeals to get raw marks and most were denied last year?

Why does BOS say
"After the assessment marks for a course have been moderated, they are aligned to the course performance scale by using the same adjustments used to align the raw examination marks to the performance scale (see section 10 Reporting student achievement at the HSC). "​

See the words in bold, your exam marks are aligned to the performance bands.

And a bit more

10 Reporting student achievement at the HSC

Reporting results in Board Developed Courses

Students’ results in Board Developed Courses are reported by an examination mark, a moderated school assessment mark (see p 35), an HSC mark and a performance band. In the new ‘standards-based’ HSC, the Board of Studies reports student achievement in terms of standards achieved in a particular course. Performance band descriptions have been developed for each course, which describe typical achievement in Bands 2 to 6, where Band 6 is the highest standard, and a performance in Band 1 has not met the minimum standard expected. In Extension courses, there are four bands, Band E1 to Band E4.

The marks gained by students are aligned to the performance bands, with Band 6 comprising marks from 90 to100, Band 5 from 80 to 89, and so on, so that Band 2 is the range 50–59. Students who have not met the minimum standard expected receive a mark less than 50. Students are awarded marks based on the standard of performance they have demonstrated, not on any pre-determined distribution of marks.

Aligning marks to standards means that a reported mark of, say, 78, in a particular course represents the same standard of achievement from year to year.

Students who are absent from an examination for which they are entered, and who do not have an Illness/Misadventure appeal upheld, will receive neither an examination mark nor a moderated assessment mark for the course concerned.

Determination of marks for Board Developed Courses

The procedure used to align HSC marks to the established standards is based on the professional judgement of subject experts, informed by statistical data and student responses. It is a multi-staged procedure that enables the subject experts to review and adjust their earlier decisions.

The standards for each course are captured in the performance band descriptions and in the HSC Standards Packages, which are CD–ROMs that show samples of student work at each of the band cut-offs, illustrating what students at these cut-off points typically know, understand and can do.

The subject experts, known as ‘judges’, are experienced teachers and markers. They apply their knowledge of the standards to this year’s examination to determine the examination mark that corresponds to the standard of performance at each of the band cut-offs. In applying the standards-setting procedure, the judges initially work individually, then meet to review and discuss the decisions they have made. Finally, they view samples of student examination responses near each of the cut-off marks to refine their judgements.

Stage 1

Working independently, each judge:

* uses the materials in the HSC Standards Packages to develop an ‘image’ of the knowledge, understanding and skills of students whose achievement would place them on the borderline between Band 5 and Band 6
records the mark for each examination question (or task) that a borderline Band 5/Band 6 student would receive.

The judges follow the same procedure for the other band borderlines. The recording sheets are collected and the cut-off marks proposed by each of the judges for each question are averaged. These averages are added to produce the first estimate of the examination mark that will represent the borderline between each pair of bands.

Stage 2

The judges meet to review and discuss the decisions they arrived at individually and their ‘images’ of the students at the borderlines between bands. They discuss their individual decisions and consider statistical reports. Each judge has the opportunity to modify any of the decisions he or she recorded during the first stage.

The judges’ recording sheets are again collected and processed as in Stage 1. This results in a new set of band cut-off marks.

Stage 3

The judges have the opportunity to further refine their band cut-off marks when reviewing samples of work by students whose marks are equal to each of the proposed band cut-off marks. The judges also review student works above and below the proposed cut-off marks.

The judges’ recording sheets are again collected and processed as in Stage 1. This results in a new set of band cut-off marks. These are the values that the judges will recommend to the Board’s HSC Consultative Committee.

Reviewing and applying the decisions

The Consultative Committee meets with the judges before giving its approval to the cut-off marks to be used for the 2004 HSC examinations.

Once this is done the Board’s computer is programmed so that the Band 5/Band 6 cut-off mark will be mapped to 90, the Band 4/Band 5 cut-off mark will be mapped to 80, and so on. Marks in between these key values are adjusted in a linear manner.​

HSC
so its basically what your mark is likely to be compared to others? ie. if its a very difficult exam and you get 90 you're likely to rise sharply, whereas if you get 90 and alot of people d oas well then it probably wont rise as much?

helper

HSC
N/A
For scaling or alignment?

For scaling for the UAI, it will depend on how all the candidates do in all their subjects.

For bands and alignment, it will depend on how the judges align the marking scheme against the performance descriptors. In this case, what you said is correct Casmira but it doesn't matter how many people get the mark, only on the difficulty.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)