Bands You Recommend To Others (1 Viewer)

mack

Banned
HSC
neo_o said:
Saying Metallica created thrash is like saying modern pop punk bands are the forerunners of punk, though granted Metallica were one of the PIONEERS of the thrash movement.

I think someone is forgetting Metal Church and Motörhead - bands that released thrash albums in the very early 80's before Metallica (though Lars had a brief stint in Metal Church), dumbass. Also Overkill, Testament, Watchtower (One of the best bands of the 80's I think, and undoubtedly more sophisticated than fucking Metallicas earlier albums... I love their work :)), Coroner, Slayer et al were all recording around the same time as Metallica.

Oh, and I forgot Venom and Hellhammer whom were recording around the same time as Motorhead - they may have been a rubbishy bands, but they did influence the founding of Black Metal and Thrash :)
Weren't Venom and Mercyful Fate also recording then? Or did they pioneer black metal more? I'm a bit confused.

Pantera also recorded in the very early 80's if I'm not mistaken.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Mercyful fate didn't have anything to do with thrash really. They were corpse paint, satanism etc and didn't have the post punk influence that (mainly) American thrash and speed metal had:

Bands like Anthrax, Exodus, Megadeth, Slayer, Overkill etc

Last edited:

wanton-wonton

HSC
oh my god neo, out of the 'big 4' thrashs, you've included anthrax megadeth slayer, but where the fuck is metallica?!?!?!?!?!

you anger me!

^___^
HSC
hmm

it might be listed already 100times, but just in case

Coldplay
REM
Radiohead
Finger Eleven
Soundgarden
U2
Pearl Jam
Franz Ferdinand

well, those are the ones that i really like

wanton-wonton

HSC
neo_o said:
Saying Metallica created thrash is like saying modern pop punk bands are the forerunners of punk, though granted Metallica were one of the PIONEERS of the thrash movement.

I think someone is forgetting Metal Church and Motörhead - bands that released thrash albums in the very early 80's before Metallica (though Lars had a brief stint in Metal Church), dumbass. Also Overkill, Testament, Watchtower (One of the best bands of the 80's I think, and undoubtedly more sophisticated than fucking Metallicas earlier albums... I love their work :)), Coroner, Slayer et al were all recording around the same time as Metallica.

Oh, and I forgot Venom and Hellhammer whom were recording around the same time as Motorhead - they may have been a rubbishy bands, but they did influence the founding of Black Metal and Thrash :)
neo, your ignorance angers me!!!!!

sure, there were bands like motorhead who were metallica's influence and played long long before metallica, hence their song 'motorbreath' on kill em all. However, they played relatively fast, but it wasn't really trash. It was speed metal, although speed/thrash are pretty close. it was NOT thrash.

metal church?!? you're an idiot. metallica released kill em all before metal churchs self titled album (1984)

talking about overkill and testament, what does it ever to do have with creating thrash? you listen to kill 'em all and any more raw than that, it aint music, its fucking trash. (my biased opinion). overkill's first album feel the fire was released 1985, which was TWO YEARS after metallica's kill em all. testaments first album was released 1987, FOUR YEARS after kill 'em all. So....i see no other bands that released a thrash album before metallica. Similarly, watchtower, 1985, a year behind metallica. Similarly , Coroner and Slayer all realeased their debut album AFTER metallica's Kill 'Em All.

yeh venom was also metallica's influence, it was one of jame's fav. band, they used to listen to it when they were on tour. but both were pioneers of black, not thrash.

soo neo....who else has released a THRASH metal album BEFORE metallica? None that I know of....

edit* i've had this discussion before, i dont want to repeat myself a million times

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=41988&highlight=rolling+stones

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
neo, your ignorance angers me!!!!!
And your immaturity annoys me.

sure, there were bands like motorhead who were metallica's influence and played long long before metallica, hence their song 'motorbreath' on kill em all. However, they played relatively fast, but it wasn't really trash. It was speed metal, although speed/thrash are pretty close. it was NOT thrash.
Yes it was. Hypothetically if it wasn't - Metallica drew a shitload of influence from them (along with Metal Church and friends) and thus, Metallica didn't single handedly pioneer the genre.

metal church?!? you're an idiot. metallica released kill em all before metal churchs self titled album (1984)
No actually you're an idiot, Metal Church released demos and EP's long before their first full length, and much of motorheads pre-Metallica work was undeniably thrash. Besides, we aren't talking exact dates, you stated that "OMGMETALLICREATED THRASH OMGLOLLERZ" when obviously, they didn't single-handedly create thrash, the plethora of bands who influenced the thrash movement like VENOM AND HELLHAMMER influenced the creation of thrash, then over 82-84 the thrash movement was created by bands such as Metallica et al, you can't say thrash was created by one definitive song - and if you wanted to say that it'd be a Leather Charm, Motorhead or Metal Church song (which slightly pre-dated Metallica) not a Metallica song. At no time were Metallica the only band on the scene, and they were influenced strongly by countless other bands, you're being ignorant by just blindly claiming that Metallica created thrash.

If you want to be really pedantic, Hetfield wrote "Hit the Lights" when he was still in Leather Charm.

you listen to kill 'em all and any more raw than that, it aint music, its fucking trash. (my biased opinion).
No, it's the opinion of a kid who loves overproduced twat. If you love crystal clear production you're listening to the wrong fucking genre.

overkill's first album feel the fire was released 1985, which was TWO YEARS after metallica's kill em all. testaments first album was released 1987, FOUR YEARS after kill 'em all. So....i see no other bands that released a thrash album before metallica.
Metalchurch and Motorhead as above, and besides they released EP's and Demos long before their full lengths, around the time of Metallica. They also appeared on compilations such as that thingie that launched Metallica (I can't remember it's name). They were in roughly the same period and therefore made an equal contribution.

Similarly, watchtower, 1985, a year behind metallica. Similarly , Coroner and Slayer all realeased their debut album AFTER metallica's Kill 'Em All.
Same period, same influence. A year or two means shit all, and again they were all releasing demo's and EP's and appearing on compilations long before their first released. Watchtower also went above and beyond the genre in terms of originality, they r0x0red :D.

Slayer formed in '81 btw, and Kill Em All was released in '82. Same period, same influence.

yeh venom was also metallica's influence, it was one of jame's fav. band, they used to listen to it when they were on tour. but both were pioneers of black, not thrash.
Venom had minimal influence on black (apart from influencing the name of the genre). Their riffing was thrashy. And again, don't pigeon hole everything, genres can be influenced by many different bands, and bands can influence the creation of many different genres. Or do you think just punk had an influence on pop-punk?

soo neo....who else has released a THRASH metal album BEFORE metallica? None that I know of....
Metalchurch released EP's before hand. Motorhead is debatedly a thrash band. Also, creating a genre has nothing to do with one groundbreaking fucking record, genres are created by a number of pioneers.

edit* i've had this discussion before, i dont want to repeat myself a million times

http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/showthread.php?t=41988&highlight=rolling+stones
I don't mind Metallica, hell I loved Ride the Lighting, but get over this stupid fandom dude - I did - when I was 14. Metallica aren't the be all and end all, they were pioneers of a short lived genre that died relatively quickly after mass market saturation.

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
... said:
hmm

it might be listed already 100times, but just in case

Coldplay
REM
Radiohead
Finger Eleven
Soundgarden
U2
Pearl Jam
Franz Ferdinand

well, those are the ones that i really like
Listen to some Porcupine Tree, Anathema and Amorphis, you'll like them. :)

wanton-wonton

HSC
neo_o said:
And your immaturity annoys me.

neo_o said:
Yes it was. Hypothetically if it wasn't - Metallica drew a shitload of influence from them (along with Metal Church and friends) and thus, Metallica didn't single handedly pioneer the genre.
Maybe I was too cocky in claiming that Metallica created the GENRE thrash but they were the first one to release a raw thrash full-length album, am I not right now? Correct me if I’m wrong, and I’m not being sarcastic.

neo_o said:
No actually you're an idiot, Metal Church released demos and EP's long before their first full length, and much of motorheads pre-Metallica work was undeniably thrash. Besides, we aren't talking exact dates, you stated that "OMGMETALLICREATED THRASH OMGLOLLERZ" when obviously, they didn't single-handedly create thrash, the plethora of bands who influenced the thrash movement like VENOM AND HELLHAMMER influenced the creation of thrash, then over 82-84 the thrash movement was created by bands such as Metallica et al, you can't say thrash was created by one definitive song - and if you wanted to say that it'd be a Leather Charm, Motorhead or Metal Church song (which slightly pre-dated Metallica) not a Metallica song. At no time were Metallica the only band on the scene, and they were influenced strongly by countless other bands, you're being ignorant by just blindly claiming that Metallica created thrash.

If you want to be really pedantic, Hetfield wrote "Hit the Lights" when he was still in Leather Charm.
What are the chances of Metallica hearing a DEMO of metal church? So how does it in any way claim that metal church created thrash since they haven’t influenced Metallica in any way? They were busy listening to Misfits and Venom and Motorhead, and once again, not thrash, only the lead-up to the genre. And plus, a demo is …… something … unheard of… so who really knows who created thrash in that case? If you wanna be nuts, you can say that Jimi Hendrix created thrash and released a demo but no one heard about it. Right? :) I’m just making a stupid example as you can see, but I hope you see the point I’m trying to make.

I did not say "OMGMETALLICREATED THRASH OMGLOLLERZ"  I simply said, under my biased opinion, ‘Metallica created thrash’ as a true and accurate GENERALISATION, but you took it TOO literal and started arguing…I don’t blame you.

neo_o said:
No, it's the opinion of a kid who loves overproduced twat. If you love crystal clear production you're listening to the wrong fucking genre.
The sound production has nothing to do with the thrash genre. What, so you’re saying albums like Master of Puppets and the newer Slayer and Megadeth or Anthax (big fours) albums aren’t thrash now because they’ve got a clear sound? The sound production is just a factor which contributes to identifying the early thrash genre, and it in no way, defines it. So I can make an album with horrible production sound and it’d be called thrash???

neo_o said:
Metalchurch and Motorhead as above, and besides they released EP's and Demos long before their full lengths, around the time of Metallica. They also appeared on compilations such as that thingie that launched Metallica (I can't remember it's name). They were in roughly the same period and therefore made an equal contribution.
I think the compilation was Metal Massacre, I’m assuming?

neo_o said:
Same period, same influence. A year or two means shit all, and again they were all releasing demo's and EP's and appearing on compilations long before their first released. Watchtower also went above and beyond the genre in terms of originality, they r0x0red :D.

Slayer formed in '81 btw, and Kill Em All was released in '82. Same period, same influence.
Once again, I take back what I said about the GENRE thing.

neo_o said:
Venom had minimal influence on black (apart from influencing the name of the genre). Their riffing was thrashy. And again, don't pigeon hole everything, genres can be influenced by many different bands, and bands can influence the creation of many different genres. Or do you think just punk had an influence on pop-punk?
Same as above.

neo_o said:
Metalchurch released EP's before hand. Motorhead is debatedly a thrash band. Also, creating a genre has nothing to do with one groundbreaking fucking record, genres are created by a number of pioneers.
Same as bove.

neo_o said:
I don't mind Metallica, hell I loved Ride the Lighting, but get over this stupid fandom dude - I did - when I was 14. Metallica aren't the be all and end all, they were pioneers of a short lived genre that died relatively quickly after mass market saturation.
Mass market saturation? You can’t blame them for experimenting now can you? After all, Cliff did claim that (hours before his death, I read somewhere) Metallica will find a big-time producer and experimenting with softer sounds, just as they did in post-black.

All in all, the point I was trying to make previously was because Metallica released the first thrash album, it could be considered (to a certain extent) that they created it.

kyu_chan

the REAL nightmare begins
HSC
Placebo: Pure morning, Special needs...
Soundgarden
Oasis
Evermore
Jack Johnson

taxman said:
- Feeder: Great song-writing. They've been around for a while in England, and while they've dabbled in the Australian market, they haven't really promoted themselves too much...again..they will never make it big here because Triple J are the only guys who'll play them. Won some fame through Gran Turismo 3.
Songs to try: Buck Rogers, Just a Day, Quickfade, Come Back Around, Find the Colour.
love feeders! Feeling a moment from the album "psuhing the senses"... album is awesome but quite short

thejosiekiller said:
radiohead
something for kate
muse
powdefinger
crowded house
coldplay
vertical horizon
qotsa
I like your taste!

Something for kate: Deja Vu, Whatever you want, Hawaiian Robots...
Powderfinger: Day you come, Waiting for the sun, Capoicity...
Muse: Time is running out
Coldplay: Shiver, Clocks, Square one...
Vertical Horizon: Everything you want...

bex said:
Feeder- absolutely! couldnt agree more
Missy Higgins
Missy! Ten days

thejosiekiller said:
butterfly effect
Always

taxman said:
I mean, anybody that can take some sort of entertainment from Shannon Noll is so obviously shit.
So true hahaa

troubleddreamer said:
lo-tel
something for kate
goo goo dolls
muse
the whitlams
u2
where did lo-tel go ;_;

HSC
the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots

Adrian.

HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots the roots
I thought about buying a The Roots album the other day, but didn't. I've only heard members of The Roots on a few guest apperences so I don't know that much about them. What's their best album? What's their style like? What are some similar artists? I have a feeling my Aesop Rock is better than The Roots anyway, but he's better than nearly everyone so...

HSC
N/A
^ whitey

bands i recommend to people:

the stooges
the fall
half japanese
the homosexuals
blithe sons (+ any band from the jewelled antler collective)
eddie bo
graham central station
the move
vajra
eintsurzende neubauten
finntroll
anaal nathrakh
dragonforce
napalm death/carcass/godflesh/god/ice/jesu
sleep

whatevz yo

Adrian.

HSC
artheterosexual said:
Just because a rapper is white it doesn't make them shit. Also it's not like I only listen to white rappers so I don't see what your point is.

Yes I'm white but I'm sure other races listen to Aesop Rock too.

HSC
N/A
i didn't say he was shit, i was just calling you white :uhhuh:
i like some of aesop's stuff, sometimes he comes up with some truly amazing lines (e.g 'life's not a bitch, life's a beautiful woman, you only call her a bitch 'cause she won't let you get that pussy'), but really, most of his stuff is bullshit - and trust me, he's nowhere near as good as the roots

Adrian.

HSC
artheterosexual said:
i didn't say he was shit, i was just calling you white :uhhuh:
i like some of aesop's stuff, sometimes he comes up with some truly amazing lines (e.g 'life's not a bitch, life's a beautiful woman, you only call her a bitch 'cause she won't let you get that pussy'), but really, most of his stuff is bullshit - and trust me, he's nowhere near as good as the roots
You just guessed I was white?

HSC
N/A
some more bands

etoile de dakar
os brazoes
os mutantes
funkadelic/parliament
the meters
sol invictus
pere ubu
ruins
popol vuh

otay

HSC
sublime!!!!!!!!!!!! they are so massive in america yet no one hear seems to ahve heard of em. download 'caress me down' immediately, great beach song.

HSC
Although they're quite famous, System of a Down is always awesomeness.

Veruca Salt are very good too (their older stuff with Nina Gordon, their new stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be).

And The Strokes are completely underrated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)